Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 14:43 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 14:43

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 520 [2]
Given Kudos: 0
Schools:Darden
 Q50  V51
Send PM
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 520 [1]
Schools:Darden
 Q50  V51
Send PM
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 7 [0]
Send PM
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 30 [1]
Concentration: Consulting
 Q49  V42
Send PM
Re: The most comprehensive resume book I have ever seen [#permalink]
Kudos
As easy as it may be to criticize some of these resumes, I think it actually provides a good chance for us all to evaluate our own resume, and as Peli noted, make sure we are actually conveying the skills we have, not just the titles we have held...

Some of these are just a laundry list of titles, test scores, and dates. I think it serves as a good reminder on what actually matters... (hint: not that stuff for the most part)

The book certainly has some impressive people, but there are certainly some of those resumes that provide examples of what not to do.

By the way, naturallight, so you are saying I should take my driver license accomplishment off my resume? :wink:

~Sam
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 408 [2]
Given Kudos: 34
Concentration: Sustainable Development
Schools:Ross '12 (MBA/MS)
 Q49  V45
Send PM
Kudos
naturallight wrote:
Driving License B

No comment.

Hey, that driver's test is hard! I'm just glad I hit the 80/80 split on my road and written sections.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 234 [1]
Schools:St Gallen, Cambridge, HEC Montreal
 Q48  V39
Send PM
Kudos
Yes, there are many differences between US and European resumes. And there also are differences between resumes from European countries. Btw, it's called CV in UK & Ireland.
Pictures, marital status and number of children with their age, driving licence, 2 pages are standard in some countries.
A few years ago I was applying for internship in the UK. At 20 of age I did not have much to put, but was advised by a British friend to write a 2 page resume anyway. 1 page resume looks as if I had not done much.
You wouldn't put a personal statement on a French or German resume, but you would on a British one. Also, there is a lot more text about details of responbilities and achievements on an American resumes. In Germany, you would normally sign your resume (this is disappearing though as most resumes aren't sent by post anymore), etc...
In short: tailor your resume for the country you applying in.

I am not sure what this book is for. Maybe these students are not even looking for jobs in the US. This book may be used for giving information on participants of a conference for instance.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 234 [2]
 Q48  V39
Send PM
Kudos
One more thing: different does not necessarily means inferior. I say that because of the jokes and comments made on foreign resumes.
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 64 [1]
Given Kudos: 28
Concentration: General Management
Schools:Harvard '11
Send PM
Kudos
I think 2 pages is OK if you need the space. For example, HBS' limit is 2 pages on the application. Why wouldn't they just say 1 page if that's what they wanted>
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 17 [7]
Send PM
Kudos
Some of these resumes are not that good (listing titles, etc.), and make a good case for the what not to do. But I agree with Lumone. In Europe, employers sometimes require a picture, marital status, etc. There is absolutely nothing funny about it. If anything, this CV book provides a good insight on how to approach the cultural differences between the countries. I would guess that these dudes are somehow achievers in their countries, so maybe that's the way to go where they are from...

On another note, many Europeans also are weirded out by US resumes. In France for example, where people are pretty conservative about their achievements, US resumes often look cocky and arrogant :wink: , as everyone seems to have been a VP/manager out of college, and saved the world from poverty, financial crisis and the return of the pterodactiles...
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 234 [0]
 Q48  V39
Send PM
CerealsMBA> I believe that you're from France (so am I ;) ). Congrats on your Chicago admit!
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 17 [0]
Send PM
Thanks! I am actually not a French Citizen, but I went through the French education system, went to college in France and worked there for a while (I basically spent there the last 10 years of my life) ... So, to a certain extent, even though I am in the US now, France is home ;)

Let me know if you have any questions about applying with a French profile, I'd be glad to help!
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 156 [0]
Given Kudos: 6
Schools:Tuck
Send PM
Anyone notice the guy who got a 99% percentile rank in the AWA section of the GMAT?

Funny, I thought the highest score you could get was 6/6 which corresponds to a 81% percentile rank.

RF
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 223 [0]
Given Kudos: 22
Schools:NYU Stern '11
Umm...I had a 5.5 in January and that was 83%ile. A 6.0 can certainly not be 81%ile - but point taken, it can't be 99%ile either.

refurb wrote:
Anyone notice the guy who got a 99% percentile rank in the AWA section of the GMAT?

Funny, I thought the highest score you could get was 6/6 which corresponds to a 81% percentile rank.

RF
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 17 [0]
 Q50  V44
Send PM
refurb wrote:

RF

6/6 was 95th percentile as of last year. It may have gone down a bit since, but its gotta be at least 93 or so still.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 24 [0]
Given Kudos: 3
Schools:MIT
Send PM
I got a 6.0 on my AWA about 3 weeks ago, and it was 87%-tile.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 11 [0]
Concentration: Finance
Schools:Texas
Send PM
6.0 AWA came to 89th percentile when I took my GMAT in April 2008.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 222 [0]
Given Kudos: 31
Concentration: Healthcare, Strategy, MC
Schools:Kellogg '11
Send PM
icon wrote:
6.0 AWA came to 89th percentile when I took my GMAT in April 2008.

it was around 89th percentile also when I took the GMAT in Jan 2008.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 222 [0]
Given Kudos: 31
Concentration: Healthcare, Strategy, MC
Schools:Kellogg '11
Send PM
sam77sam7 wrote:
As easy as it may be to criticize some of these resumes, I think it actually provides a good chance for us all to evaluate our own resume, and as Peli noted, make sure we are actually conveying the skills we have, not just the titles we have held...

Some of these are just a laundry list of titles, test scores, and dates. I think it serves as a good reminder on what actually matters... (hint: not that stuff for the most part)

The book certainly has some impressive people, but there are certainly some of those resumes that provide examples of what not to do.

By the way, naturallight, so you are saying I should take my driver license accomplishment off my resume? :wink:

~Sam

It's also interesting to see the different writing styles used to describe similar positions - goes to show how even though folks have the same title, their actual functions can vary :)
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 62 [1]
Given Kudos: 5
Schools:St. Gallen '09
 Q47  V40
Send PM
Kudos
refurb wrote:

RF

Who cares about AWA?!?
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 156 [0]
Given Kudos: 6
Schools:Tuck
Send PM
trader1 wrote:
refurb wrote:

RF

Who cares about AWA?!?

That's what makes it all the more funny!

I just took the GMAT 5 weeks ago and a 6.0 was equal to 89% percentile.

I'm guessing this guy decided to report his AWA (only God knows why), then decided that a high-80s/low-90s percentile rank wasn't that impressive, so he decided to give himself a 99% percentile rank.

Classy!

RF
GMAT Club Bot
   1   2   3