Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 13:38 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 13:38

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Schools:Columbia, Haas, IESE, Yale, Fuqua, Darden, NYU, Georgetown
 Q44  V42
Send PM
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 779 [1]
Given Kudos: 548
Schools:Yale SOM 2011 Alum, Kellogg, Booth, Tuck
 Q44  V50
WE 1: IB - Restructuring & Distressed M&A
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Re: Getting your CPA, Do you really need a MBA or MSA/MAcc? [#permalink]
Hello, I recently graduated early from UC Davis with an economics major, and I'm currently looking towards applying for a masters in accounting.

UC Davis does not have an accounting or finance major so I wasn't able to take much of the related accounting courses during my undergrad. But, I realized that most of these graduate schools require some prerequisites accounting courses, and some don't accept community college courses as a fulfillment for the prerequisites (They want all accounting prerequisites to be taken at an approved four-year university).

Does this mean that I have to take these classes at another university? I was thinking about taking these courses at a state university near my home, but does that mean that I have to reapply for undergraduate admission? or do extension classes work as well?

So basically what I am asking is this:
Where do most people who already graduated without an accounting major take these prerequisite courses if the graduate school they want to get into don't accept community college classes?

Thank You! I feel lost :(
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 779 [0]
Given Kudos: 548
Schools:Yale SOM 2011 Alum, Kellogg, Booth, Tuck
 Q44  V50
WE 1: IB - Restructuring & Distressed M&A
Send PM
You can take basic accounting course at a 4 yr school (perferably AACSB certified) or extension program. I don't think you will get credit for community college or online classes at many of the respectable programs.

You should target MS Accounting programs designed for non business or non accounting undergraduate majors. USC and UNC come to mind.
Manager
Manager
Affiliations: Beta Gamma Sigma, Omicron Delta Epsilon, Toastmasters Intl, HHonors
Own Kudos [?]: 59 [0]
Given Kudos: 27
Concentration: Finance, Economics, Accounting
GPA: 4.0 UG and 3.6 MSA
Send PM
MSA also helps meet the 150 hour rule too. But "nink" is right on the money on the other stuff.
Intern
Intern
Given Kudos: 1
Concentration: Accounting
GPA: 3.5
Send PM
nink wrote:
You should target MS Accounting programs designed for non business or non accounting undergraduate majors. USC and UNC come to mind.

I've heard this many times about USC, but during the interview they sure gave me a lot of grief for not having accounting experience (beyond the listed prereqs, which I took.)
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Hi everyone! I'm new to Gmatclub... and I had a question that my academic counselors can't seem to answer for me. Sorry, if I'm posting this on the wrong thread. I wasn't sure where to start so I typed CPA on the search box and this thread closely matches my question.

I currently have a B.A. in Business Management Economics with a concentration in Marketing from UC Santa Cruz. (UCSC does not have an accounting major)
I am now changing my career path to accounting, and naturally the CPA designation is now a goal of mine. I know there is a 150 semester hours req. to sit for the exam. So my question is can I take these accounting courses from a CC or should I look into extension programs instead or would it be more worth it to go for a MSA?

I'm kind of confused on how to obtain 150 semester hours req. when I was not an accounting major to begin with.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!
GMAT Club Bot
Moderator:
Senior Moderator - Masters Forum
3137 posts