Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 04:22 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 04:22

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 23 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 5012 [0]
Given Kudos: 4
Send PM
Current Student
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 13 [0]
Schools:Wharton, Chicago
 Q49  V44
Send PM
Re: Tuck School of Business at Dartmouth College [#permalink]
For PE, I see both 6% and 8% on the website, on the same table no less, how's that for consistency. If you look at the resumes of the Tuck PE/VC club you will see that a large % of them had pre-MBA experience in PE or VC. I think if you had to rank the schools for PE recruiting you'd go: Wharton, Columbia, Tuck. However, this ranking doesn't mean much. If you're "good" enough for PE/VC you'll be able to find an opportunity at any of these schools. In my experience, these types of firms hire selectively and opportunistically, i.e. individuals not hordes of MBAs.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 110 [0]
Concentration: General Management , Strategy
 Q49  V41
Send PM
Planning to apply to Tuck for Fall '09 .Know its a good GM school with really strong slumni society, and a verty closely knit school. Why did you apply to Tuck, I mean what differentiates it from other schools like Darden and Ross who also have strong focus on GM.
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 5012 [0]
Given Kudos: 4
Send PM
a lot of ppl say Tuck has the strongest alumni connection and that is one of its strengths.
Current Student
Send PM
bhatiagp wrote:
Planning to apply to Tuck for Fall '09 .Know its a good GM school with really strong slumni society, and a verty closely knit school. Why did you apply to Tuck, I mean what differentiates it from other schools like Darden and Ross who also have strong focus on GM.

As to my experience during Admit Weekend: post459564.html#p459564

Reasons for me to choose Tuck:

First: What kind of school I was looking for, my goals and interests:

• My post-MBA goal is strategy consulting
  • --> I was looking for a school that has a strong placement record in that department
  • I was looking for relatively balanced programs: strength in general management, marketing and finance was important
  • Coming from techie industries I was looking for electives that cater to that interest
  • My undergrad experience was very urban: big city, anonymous, no real bonding between students
  • I wanted a school with small class size, cooperative, in a non-urban environment
  • I wanted a real campus-like atmosphere (most American schools satisfy this criterium asopposed to many European schools)
  • A Top10 program was the goal

Looking at the above list, some of the reasons why I chose Tuck are already out there. Also, the list explains why I didnt chose certain other schools, especially no.5 and 6: This leaves out Columbia, Wharton, Harvard, Chicago GSB - thus 4 of the Top10 were already off my list.

I ended up applying to Haas, Ross, Tuck and Kellogg plus IESE in Barcelona. All of these schools fulfill the above mentioned criteria to a different extent, but score pretty high. Dont ask why I didnt apply to Stanford. I should have given it a shot, I guess. Then again, I am not sure it would be the right place for me.

I got into all of these but Kellogg. I had scholarships at all schools I was accepted to but IESE, including a full ride at Ross.

At the end of the day, the reason I chose Tuck above the other very nice offers was a rather emotional one. I think the ASW post explains most of it. I understand that Tuck cannot be for everyone. I think it is an absolute MUST to go and see the place and get to know the people. If you want to have that urban vibe during your MBA Tuck will be absolutely not for you. For me, and this remains to be seen, it will be great to be in an idyllic place for two years (with a possible semester abroad in Barcelona thrown in), in a super-close-knit environment focusing absolutely on the MBA and the people and nothing else. I also think that there wont be much time to do anything else anyways, so why pay $3000 bucks for an apartment in downtown NYC? ;) I am pretty sure that post-MBA I will be back in urban environments in no time.

Hope this helps.

Originally posted by branson on 11 Jun 2008, 03:26.
Last edited by branson on 11 Jun 2008, 05:42, edited 1 time in total.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Send PM
Hi Branson,

Tuck is high on my list too...Will keenly await your inputs...

Cheers,
Tijji
Current Student
Send PM
I edited the post above to include reasons for chosing Tuck.
Current Student
Send PM
bmwhype2 wrote:
a lot of ppl say Tuck has the strongest alumni connection and that is one of its strengths.

I haven't tapped into it yet, but I would strongly agree from what I have experienced at Tuck ASW and speaking to the Tuck alum here in Europe that interviewed me.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 806 [0]
Given Kudos: 5
Concentration: General/Operations Management
Schools:Kellogg Alum: Class of 2010
 Q49  V42
Send PM
I actually live in NH, and grew up skiing in the area near Tuck so if anyone has questions related to the area not specifically the school feel free to PM me.

I can say that the older alums I know, a few of my friends growing up dads graduated in the mid 60 to 70s, and are still willing to help out students/alums. A few recent alums I interacted with during my research into tuck were in PE, so its definitely possible...I do believe they came from traditional IB rolls pre-mba though.
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 291 [0]
Concentration: Investment Banking
Schools:Chicago (dinged), Tuck (November), Columbia (RD)
Send PM
Guys,

Can anyone comment on Tuck's interviewing policies? If you are a competitive applicant and your stats fall into their median range, can you expect to get an interview invite?

Is it highly advisable to complete an applicant-initiated interview? If so, how advisable? Are only knockout candidates getting invites?

I live on the West Coast and getting to Hanover is no cake walk. I have visited campus in the past though and I am very familiar with the school and what I would be getting myself into.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 156 [0]
Given Kudos: 6
Schools:Tuck
Send PM
terp06 wrote:
Guys,

Can anyone comment on Tuck's interviewing policies? If you are a competitive applicant and your stats fall into their median range, can you expect to get an interview invite?

Is it highly advisable to complete an applicant-initiated interview? If so, how advisable? Are only knockout candidates getting invites?

I live on the West Coast and getting to Hanover is no cake walk. I have visited campus in the past though and I am very familiar with the school and what I would be getting myself into.

At Tuck you are supposed to initiate the interview process. Everyone who applies can be interviewed if they wish. I remember reading a quote from a Tuck Admissions person, it basically said "If you live 3 hours from Tuck and you don't both to initiate an interview, it won't look good".

If you don't interview (say you are international), Tuck will schedule an interview for you.

Overall, I'd say you better have a dam good reason to not initiate an interview on your own.

RF
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 222 [0]
Given Kudos: 31
Concentration: Healthcare, Strategy, MC
Schools:Kellogg '11
Send PM
refurb wrote:
terp06 wrote:
Guys,

At Tuck you are supposed to initiate the interview process. Everyone who applies can be interviewed if they wish. I remember reading a quote from a Tuck Admissions person, it basically said "If you live 3 hours from Tuck and you don't both to initiate an interview, it won't look good".

If you don't interview (say you are international), Tuck will schedule an interview for you.

Overall, I'd say you better have a dam good reason to not initiate an interview on your own.

RF

I know some schools will let you interview with regional alumni or do a phone interview w/ their adcoms - does Tuck fall into that bucket? Or should I just suck up the cost of a flight from Madison to Hanover?

cheers,
ac.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 806 [0]
Given Kudos: 5
Concentration: General/Operations Management
Schools:Kellogg Alum: Class of 2010
 Q49  V42
Send PM
If you dont self initiate an interview then they will invite you to interview if they like you (if you dont get an invite that means a ding). Judging by my interactions with students and alums, its almost a requirement for students in the US to visit and interview on campus. Remember its a tiny school and its in the middle of no where. They want to know they are high on people's list, applicants are serious, and that applicants know what to expect in Hanover.
Current Student
Send PM
riverripper wrote:
If you dont self initiate an interview then they will invite you to interview if they like you (if you dont get an invite that means a ding). Judging by my interactions with students and alums, its almost a requirement for students in the US to visit and interview on campus. Remember its a tiny school and its in the middle of no where. They want to know they are high on people's list, applicants are serious, and that applicants know what to expect in Hanover.

That's my understanding too. Since "fit" is so important at Tuck, I think you better have a dam good reason for not visiting (read: international).

RF
Current Student
Send PM
ac8706 wrote:
I know some schools will let you interview with regional alumni or do a phone interview w/ their adcoms - does Tuck fall into that bucket? Or should I just suck up the cost of a flight from Madison to Hanover?

cheers,
ac.

You'll end up spending $80K just in tuition. Do you really think a $500 trip to Hanover is going to break the budget?

When it's all said and done, I expect to spend close to $3500 just trying to get in (prep course, GMAT, school visits and app fees).

RF
Current Student
Send PM
refurb wrote:
ac8706 wrote:

cheers,
ac.

You'll end up spending $80K just in tuition. Do you really think a $500 trip to Hanover is going to break the budget?

When it's all said and done, I expect to spend close to $3500 just trying to get in (prep course, GMAT, school visits and app fees).

RF

thanks for your input!
Current Student
Send PM
riverripper wrote:

thanks much! from reading other threads on the forum, it does seem that Tuck places a stronger emphasis on fit than other schools do - it's good to know that this extends to their wanting prospectives to visit.
cheers,
ac.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 1598 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
What is Tuck's job placement rate in healthcare industry for career switchers?
GMAT Club Bot
 1   2   3