Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 13:16 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 13:16

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 156 [0]
Given Kudos: 29
Concentration: Brand
Schools:Cornell '11
 Q47  V40
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 24 [0]
Given Kudos: 3
Schools:MIT
Send PM
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 107 [0]
Given Kudos: 15
Schools:Kellogg '10
 Q46  V47
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
Re: Calling all MIT Fall 2009 applicants! [#permalink]
So have any of you decided how you're going to try and include information about your EC's/interests and associated leadership? (Because there's no longer a place to list EC's, awards, or interests.)
Director
Director
 Q46  V47
Send PM
smkrn wrote:
So have any of you decided how you're going to try and include information about your EC's/interests and associated leadership? (Because there's no longer a place to list EC's, awards, or interests.)

Sadly, my essay #4 might be a mix of ECs and some other random stuff. I'm not sure if the expectation for it, though, is to be a nice cohesive essay like the others.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 575 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Schools:MIT Sloan
 Q50  V37
Send PM
Well as far as MIT is concerned, I suggest you target R1 if you are contemplating between the two rounds.

These were the words from the AdCom when I visited the campus last year - "R1 gen has ~7-10% more success rate than R2." I guess its best for all of us to use the R1 'advantage' :)
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Send PM
I am a R2 WL from last year so I am definitely applying R1. Adcom said during a visit last year that more interviews go out in R1 and that by the time R2 comes around they just don't have the personnel to interview as many people. This is of course because MIT adcom does all the interviews. From my experience, I believe R1 is certainly better.
Director
Director
 Q46  V47
Send PM
Anyone know if the 50 lines requirement for the resume includes blank spaces? If so, that's pretty short.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 9 [0]
Concentration: Entrepreneurship
Send PM
I wrote in with the same question last year -- I was told that as long as it fits in one page, it's fine
Director
Director
 Q46  V47
Send PM
collegesenior wrote:
I wrote in with the same question last year -- I was told that as long as it fits in one page, it's fine

Thanks!

You're starting Sloan soon, right? Do you know if the E&I Program has been terminated?
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 8 [0]
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Finance
Schools:MIT Sloan
 Q48  V36
Send PM
As far as I know the E & I program continues. I know a few people in my class are starting it in the Fall.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 60 [0]
Concentration: Consulting, International Business
Schools:Harvard (No Interview), Cornell (Accepted), Duke (Accepted), Northwestern (Dinged)
 Q46  V45
Send PM
Anybody else scheduled their visit yet? I booked my ticket, but not the official visit yet cause its not up yet.

ANyway. I dont know boston that well. Except for saying "Nomah!" alot (in reference to the once very popular Nomar Garciparra), and occassionally saying "Can I getta beer over herah!" (in a Boston accent), I am not sure how to let it all sink in.

Anyway, Im damn excited for the visit.
Director
Director
 Q46  V47
Send PM
irishspring wrote:
Anybody else scheduled their visit yet? I booked my ticket, but not the official visit yet cause its not up yet.

ANyway. I dont know boston that well. Except for saying "Nomah!" alot (in reference to the once very popular Nomar Garciparra), and occassionally saying "Can I getta beer over herah!" (in a Boston accent), I am not sure how to let it all sink in.

I booked an Ambassadors morning visit for early September. Everything is online now.

It is a bit easier for me, living 1 stop away on the "T". If you can find a hotel convenient to the Red Line then that would be ideal. There are some places right in Kendall Square near Sloan, but they're fairly expensive business hotels. Plus that area itself isn't particularly exciting if you're looking to enjoy some of the area while you're here.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 9 [0]
Concentration: Entrepreneurship
Send PM
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 155 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Concentration: Strategy, Management, Finance
Schools:Chicago Booth 2011
 Q50  V47
Send PM
Thanks for the link. Class of 2010 profile is in the viewbook. Avg GMAT is up to 709 and I noticed they accepted less engineering UG majors (30% vs typically 40%).

collegesenior wrote:
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 222 [0]
Given Kudos: 31
Concentration: Healthcare, Strategy, MC
Schools:Kellogg '11
Send PM
I just saw that sloan is waiving the app fee for current undergrads applying - have they always done that? or is it new this year to attract younger applicants?

cheers,
ac.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
ac8706 wrote:
I just saw that sloan is waiving the app fee for current undergrads applying - have they always done that? or is it new this year to attract younger applicants?

cheers,
ac.

I don't know how far back it goes, but it's not new this year.

I'm not sure if it's more to target young applicants or more to take pity on "poor undergrads." I tend to think it's more the latter, but that's just my opinion.
Current Student
Send PM
I've booked a visit for the Wed week of 9/22. I get back from Tuck on that Tuesday evening, go straight to the hotel, Wed day is the MIT visit and then I fly out in the PM.

Given the craziness of traffic there, I'm not planning to rent a car - I think the T should be sufficient for getting me to/from hotel and to/from MIT. Depending on how much time I have (and how much I plan to lug stuff around) and the weather, I'll probably go hang out a bit in Harvard Sq (red line) or Newbury Street (green line - Copley or Arlington stops). Both are great for people watching, food/drinks and window shopping. In Harvard Sq, there's a great restaurant called Border Cafe that has Mexican food - great salsa, margaritas. In the Garage, there also used to be a place for great boba tea - don't know if it's still there. For Newbury street, there are lots of options for food/drinks. Just as a side note, Newbury street gets progressively more swanky as you head towards the Public Gardens. Also, if you want more ethnic fare, head towards Central Sq (red line) - they have great Indian restaurants.

let me know if you want more ideas for what to do in the area :)
cheers,
ac.

rca215 wrote:
irishspring wrote:

I booked an Ambassadors morning visit for early September. Everything is online now.

It is a bit easier for me, living 1 stop away on the "T". If you can find a hotel convenient to the Red Line then that would be ideal. There are some places right in Kendall Square near Sloan, but they're fairly expensive business hotels. Plus that area itself isn't particularly exciting if you're looking to enjoy some of the area while you're here.
Director
Director
 Q46  V47
Send PM
ac8706 wrote:
I've booked a visit for the Wed week of 9/22. I get back from Tuck on that Tuesday evening, go straight to the hotel, Wed day is the MIT visit and then I fly out in the PM.

Given the craziness of traffic there, I'm not planning to rent a car - I think the T should be sufficient for getting me to/from hotel and to/from MIT. Depending on how much time I have (and how much I plan to lug stuff around) and the weather, I'll probably go hang out a bit in Harvard Sq (red line) or Newbury Street (green line - Copley or Arlington stops). Both are great for people watching, food/drinks and window shopping. In Harvard Sq, there's a great restaurant called Border Cafe that has Mexican food - great salsa, margaritas. In the Garage, there also used to be a place for great boba tea - don't know if it's still there. For Newbury street, there are lots of options for food/drinks. Just as a side note, Newbury street gets progressively more swanky as you head towards the Public Gardens. Also, if you want more ethnic fare, head towards Central Sq (red line) - they have great Indian restaurants.

let me know if you want more ideas for what to do in the area :)
cheers,
ac.

rca215 wrote:
irishspring wrote:

If the weather's nice, I recommend taking a short walk out on the Longfellow Bridge, right near Sloan, to see a great view of Boston and the Charles River. Go all the way across and you're almost in Beacon Hill, which I consider the closest thing to a European neighborhood, in terms of architecture and age, that you can find in America.
Current Student
Send PM
[quote="rca215"

If the weather's nice, I recommend taking a short walk out on the Longfellow Bridge, right near Sloan, to see a great view of Boston and the Charles River. Go all the way across and you're almost in Beacon Hill, which I consider the closest thing to a European neighborhood, in terms of architecture and age, that you can find in America.[/quote]

that is a nice area! Also good to see are the public gardens (swan boats!) and boston common. You also get a good view of the State House from there and are a short walk from Faneuil Hall/Quincy Market and the North End (<- great Italian food!).
GMAT Club Bot
   1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11  ...  27