Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 04:04 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 04:04

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 32 [1]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 144 [0]
Given Kudos: 10
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Technology
Schools: Hong Kong University of Science and Technology (HKUST) - Class of 2010
Send PM
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 30 [0]
Send PM
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 208 [0]
Send PM
Re: Email etiquette [#permalink]
Unless you know the alumn or someone introduces you, type the e-mail as you would a formal business e-mail. Dear Sir, thank you for your time, Sincerely, full signature (organization, phone, even e-mail address repeated).

The title depends on what you are trying to do. Are you just writing to say Hi? That's probably a bad subject (and likely an unnecessary e-mail). Try to convey what you are trying to get from the e-mail. If you would like to (hopefully) have coffee or drinks then convey so. If you have questions explain so. If you are just introducing yourself, say so, although it is likely that the alumn (if interested) knows about you from the school.

L.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 102 [0]
Given Kudos: 13
Concentration: Industrial Sector
Schools:Kellogg, MIT, Michigan, Berkeley, Marshall, Mellon
 Q47  V28
Send PM
This is a good point dosa_don!!

I actually have the same doubts when I want to contact a student. What should I write in the subject? should I use a formal language or maybe (because he/she is a student) a more friendly one?

I try to use a mix of both, something like:

Hi John,

let me introduce myself, my name is blablabla and I'm considering to apply to the BS you are attendig at.

I have a few question I hope you can solve, but please, If you are out of time, do not hesitate tell me.

[put here a couple of easy questions to see how friendly he/she is]

Those are very important for me because [add a little explanation about who you are]

Thanks a lot

Also, I try to choose the people I contact to, i.e. look up in the data base of the BS and try to find someone from your city or country. The more you share something with the student, the more empathy he/she will feel

That's my two cents

Cheers
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 520 [0]
Schools:Darden
 Q50  V51
Send PM
I never address emails to alumni with "Dear Sir". I think it's too formal and goes against the sense of community that we have across classes. Admittedly, I have never "cold-written" anyone that is 20 years out of school, but even when writing to people 10-15 years out in senior positions, I address them by their first name - skip the "hi" until you get to know them. So, don't use "Hi John," just start with "John,". If you are writing to someone who does not know you, start with a sentence introducing yourself; definitely mention that you are a current student, perspective student, alumni, whatever, and something about yourself. Then, get right to the point.

I've personally had a 100% response rate to my cold-emails (at least 30-40 sent last year during recruiting and this summer), and was told by many even before starting that it's rare for our alums not to respond. Admittedly, every school will not have the same sense of community, especially across the years, so you might want to make sure that your address and level of formality matches the overall nature of your school.
GMAT Club Bot