Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 12:38 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 12:38

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 37 [0]
Concentration: 20% From Concentration
Schools:The School that shall not be named
 Q49  V38
Send PM
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 408 [0]
Given Kudos: 34
Concentration: Sustainable Development
Schools:Ross '12 (MBA/MS)
 Q49  V45
Send PM
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 77 [0]
Given Kudos: 3
 Q49  V44
Send PM
Re: Kind of Extra curricular activities [#permalink]
heres what you should look for, in no particular order:
- something you enjoy
- something that'll give you leadership experience
- something that'll contribute back to society
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 806 [0]
Given Kudos: 5
Concentration: General/Operations Management
Schools:Kellogg Alum: Class of 2010
 Q49  V42
Send PM
You really need to find something you are passionate about...thats your best bet. Even if it is a pretty cliche thing like habitat for humanity or big brother...its not outside the box but if you are very active in it that is great. I know of people who did everything from helping the poor do their taxes to helped at animal shelters to the special olympics to absolutely nothing.

Its not so much what you do but what you put into it that matters to them.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 12 [0]
Send PM
how many significant ECs do you guys think are ideal for top10 schools?

I have a leadership role in a society and I play sports atleast 5 days a week.
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 223 [0]
Given Kudos: 22
Concentration: General Management
Schools:NYU Stern '11
I'm biting the bullet applying to a bunch of top 15 schools with virtually no traditional "extracurricular" activities on my resume. I'm gambling that the admissions committee is simply looking to get a sense of how well-rounded an individual you are, how well you are going to get along with your learning team, and how by having interests outside of work you aren't going to weird out future recruiters. All that's something you can demonstrate if you have had a somewhat distinctive life story and hobbies. You just need to find a way to spin things the right way.

It's probably a waste of time to simply take on a role in an "extracurricular" activity 3 months before the applications open, just so you have something to fill in on that box on the application. The adcoms will be able to tell pretty quickly that you were just getting your "extracurricular" ticket punched. Spend the time instead on developing personal stories from your life, more specifically events that have formed you as an individual, to get a sense of what it is you are truly passionate about. That would be great fodder for your essays, and will sound way more genuine than talking about your commitment to saving baby seals or dancing penguins and such.

--caveat--

If I don't get into any schools this year, then clearly my approach went horribly wrong somewhere, because I know my work experience and academics are solid enough for every school I am applying to.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
 Q49  V42
Send PM
Extras are just that...extra. Personally I didnt do anything volunteerwise post college.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 24 [0]
Given Kudos: 3
Schools:MIT
Send PM
riverripper wrote:
Extras are just that...extra. Personally I didnt do anything volunteerwise post college.

Wait, so you really didn't list any extra-curriculars on your application (post-college)?
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
 Q49  V42
Send PM
smkrn wrote:
riverripper wrote:

Wait, so you really didn't list any extra-curriculars on your application (post-college)?

I dont remember what I put down...outside of work I spent the last few years totally renovating my house. Ever see the movie the money pit???
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 222 [0]
Given Kudos: 31
Concentration: Healthcare, Strategy, MC
Schools:Kellogg '11
Send PM
There was an old thread (can't find it) where folks on the forum said that ECs that were from work were maybe less valuable as less initiative was needed to participate, etc. What's the take on that? How are ECs that are work-sponsored viewed by adcoms?

cheers,
ac.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 156 [0]
Given Kudos: 6
Schools:Tuck
Send PM
riverripper wrote:

I wouldn't be wrong assuming you got accepted to Northwestern, right?

I've heard the same from a few post-MBA buddies. ECs are a really nice way to show leadership if you job didn't provide you with the experience, but they aren't a requirement.

RF
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 8 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Concentration: MC
Schools:Wharton, MIT, Kellogg, Tuck
 Q49  V41
Send PM
Hi,

I am applying to FT MBA for 2010 and here's my background:

Indian Male, 32 years old when matriculating, 3.4 Undergrad GPA(top 5 Indian Engineering school), 3.8 GPA (top 3 US Masters program), International work experience in Europe for 2 years as Project Manager in Logistics, 4 years in the US in Logistics, GMAT = 750 (Q=49, V =41). My biggest disadvantage is that I do not have any EC's to write about. After reading this post, I got some hope for my app process (I am considering MC at M/B/B post MBA and hence I am planning to apply only to only the top schools - so far, I am considering MIT, Wharton, Kellogg and Tuck. Can you please let me know if I stand a chance?

Thanks
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 2326 [0]
Given Kudos: 56
Concentration: IT Consultancy
 Q50  V38
WE 1: 5.5 yrs in IT
Send PM
I believe the ECs could be anything you have done outside your work or academics. It could be :
> Working for NGOs (I don't like, though its a most common EC)
> Organizing/participating in some events in college or office
> Excel in your hobbies, like fine arts, music etc. But to impress adcom, you should have done something significant.
> Participation in sports like football, basketball etc.
> Even it could be playing lot of computer games, but again to impress adcom, you probably should have done some voluntary testing for Electronic arts :roll:
> Writing blogs, articles, participating in forums blah blah blah

there can be many others. but certainly the point is how you displayed your leadership qualities in any of those activities. It could be as small as teaching your neighbors kids or as big as initiating a national level program to teach all underprivileged kids.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Send PM
bigoyal wrote:
I believe the ECs could be anything you have done outside your work or academics. It could be :

> Excel in your hobbies, like fine arts, music etc. But to impress adcom, you should have done something significant.

How do I present my hobbies (on resume or application) if they aren't associated with any sort of official organization? I spend a lot of time playing tennis and go rock climbing with a group of friends, but is there a way to mention this on a resume or application if they aren't from a particular club?
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 209 [0]
Given Kudos: 25
Send PM
I think you can add the hobbies on the resume you submitted. Most resume I've seen has them.
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 2326 [0]
Given Kudos: 56
Concentration: IT Consultancy
 Q50  V38
WE 1: 5.5 yrs in IT
Send PM
Optimus wrote:
bigoyal wrote:

How do I present my hobbies (on resume or application) if they aren't associated with any sort of official organization? I spend a lot of time playing tennis and go rock climbing with a group of friends, but is there a way to mention this on a resume or application if they aren't from a particular club?

Not sure which b-school you are applying to. The one in which I applied had a separate section for hobbies in the application.
Also, I think if you have done anything significant in your hobbies, you can highlight them in the essays.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Given Kudos: 16
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Strategy
GPA: 3.2
WE:Information Technology (Computer Software)
Send PM
Hi All,

I intend to apply for MBA in one of the 6 Ivy Leagues(Business) in 2017-2018 session. My field of interest is entrepreunership.

My Stats:
Bachelor of Technology - Computer Science & Engineering (4 years) - 71 %
12th Standard - 73%
10th Standard - 71%

3 yrs IT Work Ex in Multi National Corporation, i.e. Tech Mahindra.

Extra Curriculars:

Powelifting - State Level
Bodybuilding - National Level
Kick Boxing - Orange Belt

Toastmasters - Was a member for one year.

Now my dilemma is, since, I have 2-3 years:

Should I go for certifications/ courses related to my filed like "PMP", "Prince" , short courses of "Entrepreneurship"?

OR

I should continue in sports and compete at "higher levels" or rejoin "toastmasters"?

Really keen to improve my profile, any kind of help will be appreciated.

Thanks ! :)
GMAT Club Bot