Last visit was: 23 Apr 2024, 13:52 It is currently 23 Apr 2024, 13:52

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 9 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Send PM
Re: 650 (Q49 V28) - Messed up, need your advice.. [#permalink]
Unfortunately, verbal is also my weak area and for me, improving verbal is time consuming and slow process. I score 35 in gmat prep 3 weeks back, but I think my level is around your since I saw couple of previously seen questions in the test. It would be helpful to hear from people who were at low 20's and pushed their score to low 40's or high 30's. Not sure how much I can help. I am also using manhattan sc book, probably the best in the market. I am using powerscore cr bible.I found it good as it make cr types easier to understands. I am trying to improve these two areas to my best level. I am also using 1000 SC/CR for practice since we dont have many good verval resources as compared to math. I am hoping that after doing so much of CR, RC should improving and strategy for myself will develop. Your Q score 49 which is very good and total 650 is not bad at all. I am sure you will score 38+ in just couple of months.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
I scheduled my new exam for September, 25th. Since I will be on vacation until the end of the August. Does anybody here believe that 25 days will be enough for a better Verbal score? I will have all that 25 days free and I can even study 5-6 hours a day.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Any suggestions lads?
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 368 [0]
Given Kudos: 4
Schools:Oxford
 Q49  V42
Send PM
Hello,

Don’t get discouraged - nothing is impossible.

What were your verbal scores from various CATs? If they vary a lot, then your verbal on the real exam will be more a matter of chance, I’m afraid… If they were consistently higher than 28, then it is probable that the next attempt for you will be more successful.

As for RC - I’ve seen two strategies for RC, posted here. One was based on taking notes, the other one required 'involved' reading (i.e., creating a feeling that you are really interested in the subject). If the first didn’t help, perhaps the second will work for you. I, personally, never took notes for RC – because they distracted me rather than helped. I didn’t even read the first q in advance – I started with reading the entire passage. Moreover, I read a lot of fiction in English (more 'orthodox' way is to read the Economist) - and that, as I think, really helped me with the reading speed.

Also, don’t focus entirely on RC, even if it’s your weakest area. v28 means that you probably got the other types of q wrong too…

As for preps materials – I’d advice you to focus on original sources mostly. If you had done them several times, then you could refer to the 1000CR/SC documents, as the other poster suggested.

Good luck!
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 21 [0]
Send PM
Here is my experience.

I took GMAT prep CAT-1 a month ago after completing OG scored 640(48, V30). The next month I worked on about 800 SC's from the 1000SC's(GMATTER). My hit rate improved from 69% to 82%.

I took the GMAT perp CAt -2 today scored 660( M50, V29).

I am not trying to discourage you, just letting you know how hard I have worked and what the results are. Again, everyone is different. 25 days might be sufficient for you. I got no where is 25 days.

totally bummed right now
GMAT Club Bot
Moderator:
Founder
37296 posts