Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 01:11 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 01:11

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 37 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Concentration: CPG Marketing
Schools:R1: HBS(A), Kellogg(A), Michigan(A), Duke(A), Wharton(D)
 Q47  V41
Send PM
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 138 [1]
Given Kudos: 16
Schools:Duke 2012
Send PM
Current Student
 Q47  V41
Send PM
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 223 [0]
Given Kudos: 22
Concentration: General Management
Schools:NYU Stern '11
Re: Failure Essays - Which failure?? [#permalink]
I agree with your inclination towards #2, there's a lot more in terms of "learning experience" material in that scenario and allows you to delve into wider themes such as how you've matured, come to appreciate team play more etc. etc.
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 332 [0]
Send PM
I'd go 3, if any. I'm not sure that the 3 you listed are actual "failures." They seem more like slight struggles that everyone goes through.
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 298 [0]
Given Kudos: 8
Schools:Oxford'10
 Q49  V37
Send PM
Hi cpgmba,

note that a failure has to be just that. Talk about the failure briefly Talk about your weaknesses and what you learnt in detail. Lots of introspection needed here.

Don't glorify it by saying that you learnt X,Y,Z and tell another story of success. This is a failure essay, not a success essay. I don't think Ad-com are looking for that.

so out of 1,2,3 i'd choose none. 1) is not a professional failure which is important here. 2) and 3) have a success story ending.

if you can remove the success story ending then 3) is better than 2)

my 2c

-buff
Current Student
 Q47  V41
Send PM
I would argue that both 2 and 3 are failures. At #2 I failed at a presentation to my customer. For #3, I missed a deadline for a project. I'm still leading to #2 because I feel I can tie more back into it with collaboration and teamwork.

I'm disagree about not including a learning/success story. What's the point of a failure if you don't learn from it and correct your mistakes to achieve success the next time you encounter a similar situation???
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 107 [0]
 Q49  V45
Send PM
Agree cpg. The 65 successful Harvard essays book has a few examples on this topic. Check it out. Most if not all essays do talk about how they have turned it around since the failure happened. However, here is the thing - if this essay is for Harvard you may want to stick with 3 because they prefer examples where you have failed in a leadership role. I am not sure if this is true in your case, but if you could turn your PM failure into failure because of lack of communication on your part or the right style of leadership required for the situation that could be used to talk about how you have turned it around in team/project situations. This will especially work for Harvard if you were 23/24 in your first PM role having to work with senior management clients.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 16 [0]
Schools:HBS Stanford Kellogg Wharton Tuck MIT Sloan
 Q51  V44
Send PM
definitely rule out 1.. (no point delving into 1 sem of poor gpa when your track record clearly shows you turned it around)

i think schools want to know what your weaknesses are/were from this application..

between 2 and 3..

id think hard..and say : which one did i learn more out of life from ? which experience impacted me more ? which experience moulded my present psyche ?

from your post..it seems as if 2 was a bigger defining moment for you..would go with 2..
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 298 [0]
Given Kudos: 8
Schools:Oxford'10
 Q49  V37
Send PM
[quote="cpgmba"
I'm disagree about not including a learning/success story. What's the point of a failure if you don't learn from it and correct your mistakes to achieve success the next time you encounter a similar situation???[/quote]

Hi cpgmba,

i am not saying that do not include a learning story. Thats the whole point about this essay. All I am saying is that you shouldn't end it by a glory ending, eg. "since then i have overcome my weakness and I did X which proves I have overcome my weakness".

I'd end it by using this angle..
" I realise my weakness is X, and i have done Y,Z to address it and I continue to work on it..."
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 332 [0]
Send PM
cpgmba wrote:
I would argue that both 2 and 3 are failures. At #2 I failed at a presentation to my customer. For #3, I missed a deadline for a project. I'm still leading to #2 because I feel I can tie more back into it with collaboration and teamwork.

I'm disagree about not including a learning/success story. What's the point of a failure if you don't learn from it and correct your mistakes to achieve success the next time you encounter a similar situation???

Looks like you already know what you're going to do.
Current Student
 Q47  V41
Send PM
I'm still not sure on which one I'm going to do. I've already started writing essays for both #2 and #3. I do see the point of not making it a glory story but still showing what you learn and what you've done to correct your mistakes.

By the way, this essay is for Wharton if that makes a difference.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 144 [0]
Given Kudos: 10
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Technology
Schools: Hong Kong University of Science and Technology (HKUST) - Class of 2010
Send PM
I would focus on the failure rather than the turnaround, and talk about the lessons learned. The results of the lessons learned need only be mentioned briefly, if at all. in my opinion. Personally, I would pick 2 rather than 3, because I disagree that aggressiveness is key for effective project management. It is only one trait needed amongst an arsenal and being consistently aggressive can impact motivation of team members.
GMAT Club Bot