Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 05:48 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 05:48

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 302 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Send PM
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 10036 [0]
Given Kudos: 361
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Other
Schools: Chicago (Booth) - Class of 2011
GMAT 1: 750 Q50 V40
Send PM
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 350 [0]
Given Kudos: 12
Schools:Chicago Booth '11
 Q50  V38
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Re: Calling all HBS Fall 2009 Applicants [#permalink]
Walker, the comment was made out of admiration.
SVP
SVP
Send PM
Expert Reply
I so focus on my application that try to catch all information and fix all weak points. Therefore, any critical statements are very welcome and I am thankful for any kind of feedback... But maybe I'm just too serious :)
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 222 [0]
Given Kudos: 31
Concentration: Healthcare, Strategy, MC
Schools:Kellogg '11
Send PM
dominion wrote:
walker wrote:
It is time to write my first post in the thread as a post-GMAT guy. :)

I was in HBS and my friend informally guided me thought all buildings and auditoriums. My question is hard and direct. What is my chance?

disadvantage: age 32, lack of international experience (the main reason why MBA)
advantage: GMAT 750, Master of Science, Master of Finance, PhD in Nanophysics (24 articles), a lot of experience as a top-level manager.

When I was in HBS, I saw a few guys who were ~40 years old. My friend said that there are ~3-4% >30 years.

Thanks in advance.

This is the most ridiculous resume I have ever read for a 32 year old.

wow that's awesome! Walker since you have a lot of experience in senior management positions, would an Exec MBA be better suited to your needs?
also, I'd suggest posting your profile (maybe you did and I didn't see it) in the Member Profiles section or in the Peer Review section - you'll get more input from others that way :)
SVP
SVP
Send PM
Expert Reply
Yeah, I need to post my profile in other thread. Why not EMBA? All my experiences are ones in one country. Now, I'm going to go out of boundaries of my country (not only physically but also mentally), build strong international business skills and get international experiences. EMBA can just shape my current position and help in short-term goals, but in long-term period MBA advantages goes well beyond.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 222 [0]
Given Kudos: 31
Concentration: Healthcare, Strategy, MC
Schools:Kellogg '11
Send PM
walker wrote:
Yeah, I need to post my profile in other thread. Why not EMBA? All my experiences are ones in one country. Now, I'm going to go out of boundaries of my country (not only physically but also mentally), build strong international business skills and get international experiences. EMBA can just shape my current position and help in short-term goals, but in long-term period MBA advantages goes well beyond.

Hmm - so what do you want to do after an MBA? i think your biggest challenge might be proving why you need an MBA at this point given that you already have all this experience...

cheers,
ac.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
walker wrote:

Walker, this is an excellent explanation of why you're pursuing a full time MBA vs. an EMBA. Perhaps something of note -- my cousin is a senior director (think right below board) at a well known MNC and head of a unit that generates nearly a billion a year via 3000 employees. He expressed to me that he pursued an EMBA from Kellog/HK because one, it was the best ranked EMBA in the world when he received it, and two, he thought that stamp was necessary to make the next leap. So far, it looks like he made the right decision as he recently received a promotion which puts him within striking distance of the board. Your positions sound similar.

Originally posted by dominion on 16 Aug 2008, 18:28.
Last edited by dominion on 16 Aug 2008, 18:31, edited 2 times in total.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Walker, ping me if you have any particular questions to ask him, and I'll see what I can do.
SVP
SVP
Send PM
Expert Reply
dominion wrote:
Walker, ping me if you have any particular questions to ask him, and I'll see what I can do.

Thanks a lot! I will keep it in mind.

ac8706 wrote:
Hmm - so what do you want to do after an MBA? i think your biggest challenge might be proving why you need an MBA at this point given that you already have all this experience...

As my NYC friends said me, my GMAT worths more than other achievements, because I non-native English speaker and all my achievements along with education degrees are non-USA.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 642 [0]
Concentration: Social Enterprise
Schools:Wharton'11 HBS'12
Send PM
Can someone please post the HBS recommendor questions?
SVP
SVP
Send PM
Expert Reply
Recommender Questions for the Class of 2011

Recommendations must be completed online. The form includes the following three essay response questions, along with other types of questions.

* Please comment on the context of your interaction with the applicant. How long have you known the applicant and in what connection? If applicable, briefly describe the applicant's role in your organization. (250-word limit)
* Please describe the most important piece of constructive feedback you have given the applicant. Please detail the circumstances and the applicant's response. (250-word limit)
* Please make additional statements about the applicant's performance, potential, or personal qualities you believe would be helpful to the MBA Admissions Board. (250-word limit)
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 527 [0]
Given Kudos: 15
Concentration: Finance, Entrepreneurship
WE:General Management (Manufacturing)
Send PM
walker wrote:
dominion wrote:

Thanks a lot! I will keep it in mind.

ac8706 wrote:

As my NYC friends said me, my GMAT worths more than other achievements, because I non-native English speaker and all my achievements along with education degrees are non-USA.

Seriosly dude....... Dont go in for the normal FT MBA.... :twisted: ... You are too successful....... Go for the Exec-MBA.....
P.S. : We guys can use the extra spot if you dont apply..... :lol:
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 527 [0]
Given Kudos: 15
Concentration: Finance, Entrepreneurship
WE:General Management (Manufacturing)
Send PM
Does HBS has an 18 month program?? Everywhere on thier site it is mentioned as "two year" but B-Week info states it to be 18 months...... :|
Someone should clarify this.........
SVP
SVP
Send PM
Expert Reply
devansh_god wrote:
Seriosly dude....... Dont go in for the normal FT MBA.... :twisted: ... You are too successful....... Go for the Exec-MBA.....
P.S. : We guys can use the extra spot if you dont apply..... :lol:

I spent 6 months on improving my English from ~0 to V40 and you can say that a few months of EMBA will worth for me? Sorry, I cannot believe in it. :?

P.S. Don't worry, I'm in other niche: odd people above 30 years old :lol:
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 64 [0]
Given Kudos: 28
Concentration: General Management
Schools:Harvard '11
Send PM
How are everyone's essays coming along? I think I have a solid version of my HBS essays, so now I am moving on to Wharton - hopefully there is a lot of leveraging that can be done.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 297 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
msday86 wrote:
How are everyone's essays coming along? I think I have a solid version of my HBS essays, so now I am moving on to Wharton - hopefully there is a lot of leveraging that can be done.

I think you're way ahead of everyone else.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 79 [0]
Given Kudos: 4
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Technology
Schools: Haas '15
GMAT 1: 680 Q47 V37
GPA: 3.6
WE:Engineering (Computer Hardware)
Send PM
msday86 wrote:

I'm targeting first drafts to be complete by end of this week, then moving on to Kellogg essays before coming back for round two revisions.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 642 [0]
Concentration: Social Enterprise
Schools:Wharton'11 HBS'12
Send PM
I am hitting a snag with HBS essay1..i am at 601 words :( i need to cut one word and yet be able to convey my accomplishments properly..
GMAT Club Bot
   1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11  ...  37   
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6920 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts