Last visit was: 23 Apr 2024, 13:37 It is currently 23 Apr 2024, 13:37

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Current Student
Status:He came. He saw. He conquered. -- Going to Business School -- Corruptus in Extremis
Own Kudos [?]: 5734 [15]
Given Kudos: 3054
Concentration: Finance, Economics
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 618583 [1]
Given Kudos: 81563
Send PM
General Discussion
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 315 [1]
Given Kudos: 124
Schools: ISB '20 GMBA '20
GMAT 1: 680 Q47 V36
Send PM
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 566 [0]
Given Kudos: 755
Concentration: Operations, Marketing
GMAT 1: 670 Q48 V36
GRE 1: Q157 V157
GPA: 3.4
WE:Engineering (Manufacturing)
Send PM
Re: Though they soon will, patients should not have a legal right to see [#permalink]
Imo A

Since the Law made it mandatory for the patients to see their medical history, So documents have to be provided to them if asked.

Now A is saying just that. If A person is not asking the documents to be shown still the doctors have to dig in to retrieve the file of the concerned person he is supposed to see.
Imo A
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 706 [1]
Given Kudos: 67
Concentration: General Management
GPA: 3.9
Send PM
Re: Though they soon will, patients should not have a legal right to see [#permalink]
Kudos
Though they soon will, patients should not have a legal right to see their medical records. As a doctor, I see two reasons for this. First, giving them access will be time-wasting because it will significantly reduce the amount of time that medical staff can spend on more important duties, by forcing them to retrieve and return files. Second, if my experience is anything to go by, no patients are going to ask for access to their records anyway.

Which one of the following, if true, establishes that the doctor's second reason does not cancel out the first?

Paradox question

Pre-thinking

It seems from the argument that we are dealing with a paradox. The paradox is that if patients won't ask for their records in the first place (2nd reason) how come that introducing this practice will result in a waste of time?(1st reason)

Any option suggesting that introducing the practice will somehow add some time is going to be our answer choice

POE:

(A) The new law will require that doctors, when seeing a patient in their office, must be ready to produce the patient's records immediately, not just ready to retrieve them
This option is in line with pre-thinking as it suggests that now doctor need to spend some more time to be ready to give to their clients their records right away.

(B) The task of retrieving and returning files would fall to the lowest-paid member of a doctor's office staff
irrelevant

(C) Any patients who asked to see their medical records would also insist on having details they did not understand explained to them
irrelevant

(D) The new law does not rule out that doctors may charge patients for extra expenses incurred specifically in order to comply with the new law
irrelevant

(E) Some doctors have all allowing their patients access to their medical records, but those doctors' patients took no advantage of this policy
irrelevant

VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 201 [1]
Given Kudos: 332
Send PM
Kudos
Maybe it's just me, but this is probably one of a handful of times when I have no idea what the question is asking.

What does it mean for one reason NOT TO CANCEL out another?
Admitted - Which School Forum Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 1046 [0]
Given Kudos: 630
Schools: Ross '25 (M$)
GMAT 1: 740 Q49 V42 (Online)
Send PM
I got A by POE.
Could not understand at first what the question was exactly asking me to do. But, from what I got hold of the stem, every option other than A seemed out of scope. Would love to see @EMPOWERgmat, or GMATNinja, or VeritasKarishma provide their analysis of this question.
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 64881 [1]
Given Kudos: 426
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
nightblade354 wrote:
Though they soon will, patients should not have a legal right to see their medical records. As a doctor, I see two reasons for this. First, giving them access will be time-wasting because it will significantly reduce the amount of time that medical staff can spend on more important duties, by forcing them to retrieve and return files. Second, if my experience is anything to go by, no patients are going to ask for access to their records anyway.

Which one of the following, if true, establishes that the doctor's second reason does not cancel out the first?

(A) The new law will require that doctors, when seeing a patient in their office, must be ready to produce the patient's records immediately, not just ready to retrieve them

(B) The task of retrieving and returning files would fall to the lowest-paid member of a doctor's office staff

(C) Any patients who asked to see their medical records would also insist on having details they did not understand explained to them

(D) The new law does not rule out that doctors may charge patients for extra expenses incurred specifically in order to comply with the new law

(E) Some doctors have all allowing their patients access to their medical records, but those doctors' patients took no advantage of this policy

The doctor gives two reasons why patients should not be allowed to see their records:
1. Retrieving and returning files will waste time.
2. People will anyway not ask to see the records.

Now, the second cancels off the first, right? Well, if people won't ask to see the files, how will it waste time retrieving and returning? So only one of two objections could be valid. If people ask for files, retrieving and returning will waste time. If people don't ask for them anyway, then there will be no retrieval and return.

But how can we say that the second doesn't cancel the first?

The new law will need the doctors to keep patient records ready upon visit. They cannot stand ready for retrieval. They must have already retrieved and kept ready. So retrieval and return will need to be done by law even if the patients don't ask to see it. Hence both issues are valid. Retrieval and return will waste time. But patients will anyway not ask for records. Correct.

Irrelevant

Irrelevant. Not a part of doctor's argument at all.

Extra expenses are irrelevant.

This is just a rephrasing of issue 2.

Answer (A)
Non-Human User
Own Kudos [?]: 848 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
GMAT Club Bot
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6917 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts
CR Forum Moderator
832 posts