Last visit was: 23 Apr 2024, 11:43 It is currently 23 Apr 2024, 11:43

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 118 [1]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 951 [0]
Given Kudos: 32
Concentration: Life
Schools:Hard Knocks
 Q47  V42
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 118 [0]
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 682 [0]
Given Kudos: 4
Send PM
Re: How important is a balanced score? [#permalink]
Better you give this group an advice on how to improve verbal score...Normally I have seen opp score from Indians.. like more in quant and less in verbal..
anyways good luck to you in the apps.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
marshapa,

I hope I get into SJSU part-time program with the 42%ile Quant. I really dont want to have to take the GMAT again. Well, if I have to, I will certainly seek help from the experts in Quant on this forum.

I found the actual GMAT much harder than the GMATPrep. Period. Both Quant and Verbal sections. I was certainly not prepared to encounter a probability question right out the door. Probably that shook my confidence on the Quant side.

Yes, it seems to be the trend for Indians - better in Quant than in Verbal, doesnt it? I have always been better in Verbal than in Quant (avid reader), so I am not sure if I have any special tricks that I can share - but here is my approach to Verbal - perhaps it will benefit some of the other members of this forum.

- Do not underestimate your exhaustion level by the time you reach the Verbal section. I encountered a RC as my first question - and I spent at least 6-7 minutes just reading and re-reading it before I even read the question. It took me a lot of time to re-focus. I think I caught-up on time somewhere around the 22nd-25th questions.

- Time tracking for Verbal:- I look at the clock occasionally and whatever time is left I divide by 2 to guage how many questions I can finish. If I have more than that number of questions left, I speed up (except if I am on a RC) or else I just continue my pace.

RC:
- Unlike some people, I dont read the question before I read the para. While reading the para, I dont even think of the possible answer to the first question. I just read it as if it is an article, nothing more and try to get in the gist of it first. I have found that this helps more than writing down the main points, keywords, and any other such approaches.
- When answering a question, I pick an answer and then go back to the RC to reverify what my thinking is.
- Yes, given the above approach, I do spend more than 5 mins average on the first RC question (including reading the para). But with the RC, if you have understood the para, you can easily answer the next 3-4 questions in under 2 mins each.

SC:
1.) Avoid silly mistakes.
2.) On my test, I rarely encountered a SC of any one type: Subject-Verb, Parallelism, etc...it was always a combination of at least two types.
3.) Learn-by-heart the relative pronouns: example: Not ony A but also B, Unlike A, B, Either A or B. Pay attention to punctuation.
4.) If you cannot pick the correct choice confidently, try this:
- Eliminate the options that are obviously wrong.
- Read (whisper) the entire sentence to yourself with each of the remaining options. One of these will sound better that the other. Pick that one and go.

CR:
- Read the question before reading the argument.
- Read the argument.
- Think of an answer to the question n your mind.
- Look at the answer choices and pick the one that comes closest to the answer in your mind.
- Again, use elimination where possible. In most cases, only 2 of the 5 options make sense - you can eliminate 3.

Hope this helps! I will be glad to answer any questions anyone has on the Verbal side.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 322 [0]
Send PM
well while i was calling around to some schools for my buddy, I learnt that some of the schools require a minimum score for quantitative on top of your general gmat requirement. For instance UT Austin told me that they mandate a minimum of 43 in quantitative. So, check with your schools of interest if they have any such requirements.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
mbawaters,

Yes - SJSU says "Priority will be given to.....above 50% percentile". That is what has got me worried. But I will be calling them next week to confirm that that isnt a "requirement" for applying. If it is, then I will have to take the GMAT again - no other way around it. I will concentrate on the Quant section. So, instead of starting my MBA in Spring 09, I will have to defer it till Fall 09.
Well, stuff happens! :) For now, I am working on their online app and getting all other things lined up. The call next week will tell me my next steps.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 322 [0]
Send PM
you don't necessary have to defer your plans. You may file your applications with the current while register another gmat. Do not send those scores to the schools of your intrest till you get what you want from your gmat!
Just a thought!
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Thanks for your thoughts, mbawaters. It always helps to get another perspective.

My work schedule will not permit me to take the GMAT again soon - at least not before the app deadine. I started pretty late on my GMAT prep (mid-may) and between mid-may to mid-aug, the following had claims on my time: Work, Economics class and related exams, Math Placement test (to be able to enroll in Elem Stats pre-req course for Fall), and of course, GMAT. I should have started earlier (no regrets, no excuses, just a learning lesson).

I will certainly post the results on my conversation with SJSU next week. As of now, I am going to apply and pray :) They will take a look at other stuff in the app, of course. If that doesnt work, I will take a break and start studying Quant again - and retake the exam later.

And again, perhaps I am sweating it way more than I should....given that folks out here are applying to Top 10s....each has her own worries, as they say.

Thanks again for your thoughts.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
I got my AWA score today - 5

Also, talked to SJSU - the Graduate coordinator said that 50% is not a rule, though preferred at SJSU and that I should certainly apply because the adcom will look at the grades,etc and then decide.
GMAT Club Bot
Moderator:
Founder
37296 posts