Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 11:33 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 11:33

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 222 [0]
Given Kudos: 31
Concentration: Healthcare, Strategy, MC
Schools:Kellogg '11
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 136 [0]
Given Kudos: 92
Concentration: General Management
WE 1: Investment Banking - 6yrs
Send PM
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 806 [0]
Given Kudos: 5
Concentration: General/Operations Management
Schools:Kellogg Alum: Class of 2010
 Q49  V42
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 136 [0]
Given Kudos: 92
Concentration: General Management
WE 1: Investment Banking - 6yrs
Send PM
Re: Calling all Kellogg Fall 2009 Applicants! [#permalink]
I have not be involved extensively, however, have been involved in community service for the past 10 years...so, I'm contemplating which would fit better.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 0
 Q50  V42
Send PM
Quick question on GPA: For those who don't have GPA for their degrees, is there a standard/recommended way of calculation? My UG school sadly has only grades (A-F) and a final degree (First Class, Second Upper, etc). Did any of you require to do this?
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 31 [0]
Concentration: Finance - Real Estate
Schools:Chicago (R2), Kellogg (R2), Tuck (R1), Darden (R1), Cornell (R1), Texas (R2), Rice (R1)
Send PM
Hi all,

I will be applying to Kellogg as well. I have a quick question. I have heard that Kellogg makes its decisions on a rolling basis. Is that true? I do know that they follow deadlines, but once they review a file and make a decision, they dont wait till the decision date (Jan 7, 2009) to let the applicant know.

If thts true, and if I were to schedule a campus interview before Oct 17, I believe that there would be a decent chance that the adcom would let me know the decision by mid december. Do u guys concur?

Best,

Nadtrans
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
 Q49  V42
Send PM
I got in at the end of November last fall so its definitely true. Many people find out before christmas one way or another but there are still plenty of people who get in in January. I dont think interview date is the biggest factor but obviously that has to get completed before a decision can be made. I got interviewed at the beginning of Nov. and lots of people who interviewed well before me didnt find out until well after I did. Of course there is the dreaded WL which can drag until well into the summer.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 31 [0]
Concentration: Finance - Real Estate
Schools:Chicago (R2), Kellogg (R2), Tuck (R1), Darden (R1), Cornell (R1), Texas (R2), Rice (R1)
Send PM
riverripper wrote:
I got in at the end of November last fall so its definitely true. Many people find out before christmas one way or another but there are still plenty of people who get in in January. I dont think interview date is the biggest factor but obviously that has to get completed before a decision can be made. I got interviewed at the beginning of Nov. and lots of people who interviewed well before me didnt find out until well after I did. Of course there is the dreaded WL which can drag until well into the summer.

Thank you replying. I am not sure as whether this question was asked before. But, who conducts the interviews on-campus? Do 2nd yr students do it or the adcom?

Thanks,
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
 Q49  V42
Send PM
nadtrans wrote:
Thank you replying. I am not sure as whether this question was asked before. But, who conducts the interviews on-campus? Do 2nd yr students do it or the adcom?

I believe its 2nd years but an adcom may do the occasional interview. Dont stress over the interview too much.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Send PM
I am reapplicant this year, but leaning towards not interviewing with Kellogg as I'm afraid of getting stuck with an unfriendly interviewer. To me, the advantage (being able to tell the improvements in profile) does not outweigh the disadvantage of doing worse on the 2nd interview. Sure, there is a chance that I will interview even better this time, but is the risk worth it when I can explain my improvements in one of the essays?

BTW, I have no regrets from my 1st interview.

Any thoughts?
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 1682 [0]
Given Kudos: 210
Send PM
For those who want to get to know Dean Dipak Jain a little better, rediff has done an article on him here :

https://specials.rediff.com/money/2008/sep/02slide1.htm
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [0]
Send PM
Hey everyone,

So I have a question about the "What do others admire about you?" essay.

It's only 2-3 paragraphs long so I'm not sure exactly what they are looking for - say, for instance, we talk about a general characteristic about ourselves that people admire, do you think we should talk about the root of the characteristic...or give examples, or talk about how it benefits others? This is such an open ended question that I'm not quite sure what direction to take it in.

Any thoughts?
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [0]
Send PM
Hey everyone,

So I have a question about the "What do others admire about you?" essay.

It's only 2-3 paragraphs long so I'm not sure exactly what they are looking for - say, for instance, we talk about a general characteristic about ourselves that people admire, do you think we should talk about the root of the characteristic...or give examples, or talk about how it benefits others? This is such an open ended question that I'm not quite sure what direction to take it in.

Any thoughts?
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 642 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Concentration: Social Enterprise
Schools:Wharton'11 HBS'12
Send PM
how are you guys tackling essay3? River maybe you can chime in with your advice...greatly appreciate clubbers input..

How have your past and current leadership experiences prepared you for Kellogg? What leadership areas are you hoping to develop through your MBA experience?

I mean i doubt you can teach anyone leadership??..and I really dont get what they mean by leadership areas i am hoping to develop through MBA..my view of an MBA is to learn the skill sets such as brand management, marketing, workings of finance etc.
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 138 [0]
Given Kudos: 16
Schools:Duke 2012
Send PM
fresinha12 wrote:
how are you guys tackling essay3? River maybe you can chime in with your advice...greatly appreciate clubbers input..

How have your past and current leadership experiences prepared you for Kellogg? What leadership areas are you hoping to develop through your MBA experience?

I mean i doubt you can teach anyone leadership??..and I really dont get what they mean by leadership areas i am hoping to develop through MBA..my view of an MBA is to learn the skill sets such as brand management, marketing, workings of finance etc.

I sort of disagree, while maybe you can't teach someone to be a leader (in the sense that I can't have you read a book and take a test), I think it can be learned. Look up the attributes of leadership, there must be one or two that you're not that good at, surely you're not a perfect leader. For example, the easy one is that the different people that you come in contact will help you learn about different situations that you may not have encountered had you not gone to B-school. Maybe you'll better learn how to set vision for a company. Or taking the things that you actually want to learn in B-school, maybe the subjects that you intend to study (marketing, finance, etc) will help you see how to set goals across the spectrum. Maybe your career so far has been fairly risk averse and B-school will teach you how to manage that risk and make key decisions based on little information. I think you could look at any leadership seminar and pick a few of the qualities they advertise.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 16 [0]
Schools:Kellogg '11 (MMM)
 Q51  V42
GPA: 3.6
WE 1: Engineer at a Food & Beverage Company
WE 2: Engineer at an Automotive Supplier
WE 3: Consultant at a Management Consulting Firm
Send PM
Just curious, how long are you guys going for your essays?

I have one of the "long" essays left, and my total word count is ~2400. I've been very strict about the "2 pages for long essays, 1 page for short essays" rule of thumb, but I'm worried about how the AdCom will look at having to read that much. Any thoughts?
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 175 [0]
Given Kudos: 20
Concentration: Management Consulting
Schools: Ross 2012
 Q50  V44
WE 1: 5 Years at Fortune 50 Company in Manufacturing
Send PM
balki1867 wrote:
Just curious, how long are you guys going for your essays?

I have one of the "long" essays left, and my total word count is ~2400. I've been very strict about the "2 pages for long essays, 1 page for short essays" rule of thumb, but I'm worried about how the AdCom will look at having to read that much. Any thoughts?

WHoa whoa whoa.... Are you using double space? I am going with 1000 words long, 500 short. I think at 2400 that is Way way way too long. You should ask around, but I believe that others agree that it is 2 pages doube space, or about 1000 words.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 16 [0]
Schools:Kellogg '11 (MMM)
 Q51  V42
GPA: 3.6
WE 1: Engineer at a Food & Beverage Company
WE 2: Engineer at an Automotive Supplier
WE 3: Consultant at a Management Consulting Firm
Send PM
GoBruins wrote:
WHoa whoa whoa.... Are you using double space? I am going with 1000 words long, 500 short. I think at 2400 that is Way way way too long. You should ask around, but I believe that others agree that it is 2 pages doube space, or about 1000 words.

I think I misexplained myself. Everything is double-spaced 11 pt Arial Narrow. My two "long" essays that are completed at ~800 words. The two shorts ones are ~400 apiece. The total so far is 2400 words.

My question is this: At this pace, my total count will be ~3200 words over 5 essays. Does that seem high to anyone?
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 698 [0]
Given Kudos: 14
Concentration: Technology, Entrepreneurship, Digital Media & Entertainment
Schools:UC Berkeley Haas School of Business MBA 2010
 Q51  V41
GPA: 3.9 - undergrad 3.6 - grad-EE
WE 1: Social Gaming
Send PM
I wouldn't go above 1200 words for a Kellogg 2 page essay. The longest word limit I've seen in the top schools is 1500 (at Chicago). 2000 is way too much.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 36 [0]
Schools:Kellogg (R2), UCLA (R2)
Send PM
kryzak wrote:
I wouldn't go above 1200 words for a Kellogg 2 page essay. The longest word limit I've seen in the top schools is 1500 (at Chicago). 2000 is way too much.

Kryzak,
How do you manage to get 1200 words in 2 page essay? best I could do was 950 -1000. I'm using 11 pt Ariel Narrow 1 inch margins on top/bottom and 0.75 inch on the sides.
GMAT Club Bot
   1  ...  6   7   8   9   10   11  ...  115   
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6919 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts