Last visit was: 23 Apr 2024, 20:31 It is currently 23 Apr 2024, 20:31

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 17 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Concentration: Accounting/Finance
Schools:Simon '11
 Q48  V47
Send PM
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 291 [1]
Given Kudos: 0
Concentration: Investment Banking
Schools:Chicago (dinged), Tuck (November), Columbia (RD)
Send PM
Manager
Manager
 Q48  V47
Send PM
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 291 [0]
Send PM
Re: Profile Evaluation Please [#permalink]
You should be very competitive at Cornell and Michigan. I would drop Rochester and replace it with 1 more reach school of your choice. Considering you don't mind cold weather and rural/college town locations - have you considered Tuck?
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 806 [1]
Given Kudos: 5
Concentration: General/Operations Management
Schools:Kellogg Alum: Class of 2010
 Q49  V42
Send PM
Kudos
You have an unusual story and some schools definitely will value that more than others. You are on the short side of experience but Kellogg does have a reputation of appreciating folks with a different background more than many other schools. I would say that would be a school that would be worth a shot, its location is better than some of the others you are looking at and so is its brand...plus trust me your wife would love it. 6 schools would be reasonable and the Rochester should be a sure bet. I think Ross and Cornell are solid as long as you execute well and have a convincing story. You would be competitive at GSB, more so at Kellogg...HBS is an extreme long shot but with a very strange story you never know.
Manager
Manager
 Q48  V47
Send PM
Thanks again for your replies, this is really helping me calm down a bit about this whole process.

I took a look at Tuck and I'm definitely adding it to my list for round one...

I'm not so sure about Kellogg since as you say (and as I'm aware) I'm light on the experience side and if there's one thing that I hear about Northwestern on the various forums that I read it's that the school really values work experience more than most....

So my revised list:

Reach: Chicago(R1), Wharton (R2), Kellogg (Maybe R2)

Still Reach but slightly better shot: Cornell (R1), Ross (R2), Tuck (R1), UCLA (R2... if I can talk the wife into it)

Safety: Rochester (R2 if I don't get into Cornell R1)

This way my essays are spread out as well... I can only take so many of them at once. I'm also not considering any schools lower ranked than Rochester (I have ties to the Buffalo/Rochester area which is the only reason I'm applying)

I'm definitely tempering my expectations for this year since I don't have a lot of experience but it's certainly worth a shot and there's always next year...

Again, thank you so much for your input. Now to craft a strong goals essay...
SVP
SVP
Send PM
Great to hear you're applying to Tuck. Keep in mind that you have to complete a self-initiated interview on-campus in Hanover, NH prior to submitting your application. It should also help you see if the culture is for you or not. Tuck is a very tight-knit school.
Manager
Manager
 Q48  V47
Send PM
Well hopefully I'll be able to make it up to Hanover before the end of the month then so I can get my app in before the Early Action deadline... I don't know how Tuck was never on my radar. Thanks so much for suggesting it because it looks like it would be an awesome fit for me and since my wife keeps bugging me that she wants to move to Boston eventually it might be perfect for both of us.

I'm crossing my fingers it'll come down to Johnson vs. Tuck in a fight to the death... who knows how everything will play out but at least I have a more solid plan of attack now.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 175 [1]
Given Kudos: 20
Concentration: Management Consulting
Schools: Ross 2012
 Q50  V44
WE 1: 5 Years at Fortune 50 Company in Manufacturing
Send PM
Kudos
I agree with the comments that you do have a special profile. I think with your profile you may even be more of a hit or miss type candidates, and I mean that has a good way, you can get a top-5 school but rejected from a 10-20's school. So definitely apply to the elites. Good GPA. GREAT GMAT's. Just play up your unique skills. Maybe look for way to reinforce your leadership skills, maybe quantative classes (I don't know your background but I would imagine liberal arts don't require to much hard math)
SVP
SVP
Send PM
cereal255 wrote:
Well hopefully I'll be able to make it up to Hanover before the end of the month then so I can get my app in before the Early Action deadline... I don't know how Tuck was never on my radar. Thanks so much for suggesting it because it looks like it would be an awesome fit for me and since my wife keeps bugging me that she wants to move to Boston eventually it might be perfect for both of us.

I'm crossing my fingers it'll come down to Johnson vs. Tuck in a fight to the death... who knows how everything will play out but at least I have a more solid plan of attack now.

The Tuck alumni network is extremely strong in Boston and New England.
Manager
Manager
 Q48  V47
Send PM
GoBruins:

I've already taken 2 accounting classes at my community college and gotten As in both so hopefully that will allay some concerns. Hopefully my essays will also showcase how my current job also uses quant skills.
GMAT Club Bot