Last visit was: 23 Apr 2024, 16:02 It is currently 23 Apr 2024, 16:02

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 233 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Concentration: Social Enterprise
Schools:The Duke MBA, Class of 2009
Send PM
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 8 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
Current Student
Send PM
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 156 [0]
Given Kudos: 6
Schools:Tuck
Send PM
Re: Calling all Duke (Fuqua) Fall 2009 applicants! [#permalink]
aakashganga wrote:
Hey guys,

I wanted to seek some opinions on the optional essay.. I have heard both schools of thought.. Some say writing an optional essay isn't necessary as it sounds like crying, whereas other say use it as an opportunity to explain any weakness in you. What do you plan to do?

It seems like every admission consultant has a different take on the optional essays. I've heard it all: mention your GPA, don't mention your GPA, don't put negative stuff, only put additional info, etc.

Personally, I plan on using it to explain aspects of my application that require further elaboration. For example, my GPA was crap my first two years of undergrad, but then rapidly improved in my final two years. My overall GPA is on the low end, but still in the OK range. I've decided not to mention it. I mean, they'll have my transcripts and they can see for themselves what my academic performance has been. I don't have anything to add. There were no extenuating circumstances that I can use to explain away my performance. It's kinda like being caught stealing red-handed! The best thing to do is say "Yeah, I did it." No excuses, just the truth.

And to be honest, I think the "don't end on a negative" has some validity. What if the adcom reads you essays and think "dam! this is a really unique applicant!", then the last thing they read is how your GMAT is low. I think it leaves things on a bad note.

RF
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
I decided to apply for R1.

Is anyone here from Atlanta?
Current Student
Send PM
fall09 wrote:
I decided to apply for R1.

Is anyone here from Atlanta?

I am... Nice to see another..
Current Student
Send PM
Hey aaudetat,

I was wondering where Fuqua gets its case studies from? Many schools get those from HBS as per my knowledge. Also, can you tell me if there is any specific prof that you liked the most from the operations conc? What are some of the case studies that you have handled in the operations area?
Current Student
Send PM
The Duke online application is now live.

RF
Current Student
Send PM
refurb wrote:
The Duke online application is now live.

RF

Thank you..
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 233 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Concentration: Social Enterprise
Schools:The Duke MBA, Class of 2009
Send PM
aakashganga wrote:
Hey aaudetat,

I was wondering where Fuqua gets its case studies from? Many schools get those from HBS as per my knowledge. Also, can you tell me if there is any specific prof that you liked the most from the operations conc? What are some of the case studies that you have handled in the operations area?

HBS, alas, rules. We have to fund lepium's swanky digs somehow.

Professors also periodically write their own cases, and there are other sources, so it's not all hbs.

I have only taken one ops class so far: the core course. i'm taking another this term, service ops.

I had Gurhan Kok and he was awesome. Fun, funny, and a good teacher. I hear that Kevin Shang, the other core prof, is also good. I sat in on one of his sections, and he seemed like a good professor. For the most part, I think fuqua faculty are on the ball.

I can't remember a lot of the smaller, daily cases we did at the moment, but we did a couple of big ones:

The Cranberry Case (it's famous in the ops world)
Little Field Labs (an online simulation)
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 155 [0]
Concentration: Strategy, Management, Finance
Schools:Chicago Booth 2011
 Q50  V47
Send PM
Has anyone started the Duke App and encountered this little question?

Please list all other MBA programs to which you are applying:

I'm nervous about how to answer it because Duke will figure out their not one of my top choices. I guess the best policy is honesty here. I'm curious why they even want to know.
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 291 [0]
Concentration: Investment Banking
Schools:Chicago (dinged), Tuck (November), Columbia (RD)
Send PM
sonibubu wrote:

I'm nervous about how to answer it because Duke will figure out their not one of my top choices. I guess the best policy is honesty here. I'm curious why they even want to know.

Wow. That's so unnecessary.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 31 [0]
Concentration: Finance - Real Estate
Schools:Chicago (R2), Kellogg (R2), Tuck (R1), Darden (R1), Cornell (R1), Texas (R2), Rice (R1)
Send PM
sonibubu wrote:

Dint see that coming. I thought that they would ask me that question in an interview. Dint expect that question in the application.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 215 [0]
Given Kudos: 4
Concentration: Investment Management
Schools:CBS, Cornell, Duke, Ross, Darden
Send PM
This is ridiculous. Even if you apply to Ross and Darden (2 other schools in the same "tier"), Duke could still be your third choice! I mean, are they only going to accept you if you apply to Duke and UNC (in which case you may prefer UNC if you are a NC resident!)? Or Duke, Boston College, and Florida?

C'mon. :roll:

PS NYU asks the same question...
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Schools:Chicago (R2), Kellogg (R2), Tuck (R1), Darden (R1), Cornell (R1), Texas (R2), Rice (R1)
Send PM
ryguy904 wrote:
This is ridiculous. Even if you apply to Ross and Darden (2 other schools in the same "tier"), Duke could still be your third choice! I mean, are they only going to accept you if you apply to Duke and UNC (in which case you may prefer UNC if you are a NC resident!)? Or Duke, Boston College, and Florida?

thats not as bas as say tell them that u r applying to Columbia in their ED round and Tuck in their EA round.
Current Student
Send PM
ryguy904 wrote:

I would be curious as to how much your answer impacts on your app!

Anyways, I have a feeling that a lot of it is done out of curiosity on the part of Duke.

RF
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
refurb wrote:
ryguy904 wrote:

I would be curious as to how much your answer impacts on your app!

Anyways, I have a feeling that a lot of it is done out of curiosity on the part of Duke.

RF

I m not so sure! Duke is trying to improve its yield and move up the rankings. one of the reasons y they started the ED round. Although the school might not admit, I would have to guess that the answer to this question might affect the decision especially if u dont apply in the ED round.
Current Student
Send PM
nadtrans wrote:
refurb wrote:

RF

I m not so sure! Duke is trying to improve its yield and move up the rankings. one of the reasons y they started the ED round. Although the school might not admit, I would have to guess that the answer to this question might affect the decision especially if u dont apply in the ED round.

I hope they wouldn't take it into consideration on deciding to admit or not. Like someone else stated above, just because you applied to a higher rank school doesn't necessarily mean Duke isn't your first choice.

Let's say you start early and you have enough time to send out another app. Duke might be your #1 pick, but you threw Stanford or Harvard in there just to "play the lotto".

RF
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 215 [0]
Given Kudos: 4
Concentration: Investment Management
Schools:CBS, Cornell, Duke, Ross, Darden
Send PM
Also, one could interpret the question as, "which schools WILL you apply to" or "which schools have you ALREADY applied to?"
Current Student
Send PM
[delete post]

Never mind, I answered my own question!

RF
GMAT Club Bot
   1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11  ...  50