Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 15:32 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 15:32

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Given Kudos: 3
 Q49  V37
Send PM
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 144 [0]
Given Kudos: 10
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Technology
Schools: Hong Kong University of Science and Technology (HKUST) - Class of 2010
Send PM
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 699 [0]
Given Kudos: 14
Concentration: Technology, Entrepreneurship, Digital Media & Entertainment
Schools:UC Berkeley Haas School of Business MBA 2010
 Q51  V41
GPA: 3.9 - undergrad 3.6 - grad-EE
WE 1: Social Gaming
Send PM
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 41 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Schools:Berkeley Haas
 Q50  V44
Send PM
Re: Berkeley Haas School of Business [#permalink]
I guess your perspective on the food at iHouse depends from what your expectations are :) I don't live there, but visited it a couple of times and was impressed by the food. It's quite nourishing, no junk burgers (European cuisine, although pretty basic), and most importantly cheap and conveniently located. Would I live there, I don't think I'd ever go eat somewhere else. :)

That said, I confirm that it's extremely tough to get it. I applied in May and was already waitlisted for iHouse.

Also, it's rather expensive. I think you pay about $1500/mo for the tiny dorm room (be it with free wireless and cheap food), while you can find a good place for under $1000 some 5-10 minutes walk from campus.

So I think your decision on where to live should be highly influenced by whether you want to "socialize" (undergrad style), or you prefer to have your evenings for yourself.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 144 [0]
Given Kudos: 10
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Technology
Schools: Hong Kong University of Science and Technology (HKUST) - Class of 2010
Send PM
kryzak wrote:
That would be cool if you come here for a semester toga!

As for facilities, many international students stay at "International House". It's a dorm-like place that has many services self contained, though the food is a lot better just 5 minutes walk away. You can apply to the I-House when you exchange, but I'm not sure how easy or hard it is to get in. There are also Graduate student dorms, one of which is 5-7 minutes from Haas, but also tough to get in. Otherwise, most students look for accomodation themselves. Of course, you can probably find someone who's doing an exchange abroad to sublet from, since Berkeley only takes in as many exchange students as they send out (to maintain class size).

Hope that helps! I can also help you look around if you do decide to come here.

cheers!!! There are actually 2 students from Haas who have exchanged to HKUST this semester, so I'm pestering them for information :). Good to know there are available options around :)
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 136 [0]
Given Kudos: 92
Concentration: General Management
WE 1: Investment Banking - 6yrs
Send PM
How important are the Supplementary questions in the essay?

5. Please identify the course(s) you have taken or intend to take to demonstrate quantitative proficiency. Provide the course name, date, grade if any, and institution at which the course was or will be taken. If you wish, you may discuss other ways in which you have demonstrated strong quantitative abilities.

I haven't taken any course, and dont intend to take one. Whats the ideal way to write this? Also, any word limit on such questions?
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
 Q51  V41
Send PM
pawan203 wrote:
How important are the Supplementary questions in the essay?

I haven't taken any course, and dont intend to take one. Whats the ideal way to write this? Also, any word limit on such questions?

Not that important if you have decent (B or higher) grades in Calculus. There is no word limit, but one or two sentences plus the list of math/quant grades is enough. They're really only looking for proficiency in quant skills. If your GMAT Quant score is 90+%, you're also fine. Just state so in this question.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 24 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Concentration: Finance
Schools:UCLA Anderson '12
 Q42  V40 GMAT 2: 740  Q49  V41
GPA: 3.5
Send PM
Hi guys,
How many years out will a candidate be considered a reapplicant? I applied to Haas for 2008 but was turned down and really want to improve on a few things, mainly my time spent participating in extra-curric's and retaking the GMAT to edge into the top 90th %tile. I just moved to California and suspect I'll reapply for the 2010 class.

Also, do the admissions staff give any personal feedback at all for reapplicants?
Current Student
 Q50  V44
Send PM
1) I think you're OK. You'll have to tell a story about it, but it will be beneficial for you. And of course they will have your previous application on file. You can check with the adcoms themselves though.

2) I don't think so. If they EVER do it, they will have to do it for EVERYONE from that point on. :) So the answer is always "no, sorry".
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Send PM
Hi guys,

First I want to thank you for your time helping us. I greatly appreciate your help.

I come from a technology industry and would like to switch my career to strategy/management consulting after graduated from MBA. Can you share your thought to get one prepare for this career, in terms of the courses should take, student clubs at Haas, etc?

Thanks a lot for your time.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 699 [1]
 Q51  V41
Send PM
Kudos
ho_ty wrote:
Hi guys,

First I want to thank you for your time helping us. I greatly appreciate your help.

I come from a technology industry and would like to switch my career to strategy/management consulting after graduated from MBA. Can you share your thought to get one prepare for this career, in terms of the courses should take, student clubs at Haas, etc?

Thanks a lot for your time.

Hi there,

You are very welcome! :) As for tech to MC/Strat, that happens a lot here at Haas. To prepare for the career, you generally join the General Management club and the Consulting Club. You practice case interview questions with your classmates over the fall semester and winter break (more for consulting than for Strategy), you fully immerse yourself into the 8-10 target companies you want to work Strategy for (for MC you have to network a lot at the company presentations and do informational interviews), and there are a few strategy classes you can take (check out the Haas Website for the list of electives).

There are also 2nd year career coaches, the Career Center, and your classmates who will all help you to make the transition as smooth as possible. :)

Hope that helps!
Current Student
 Q50  V44
Send PM
+1 on everything kryzak said.

Make sure to START EARLY. Consulting interview practice is a rather long and cumbersome process - don't postpone it until winter break. Start ramping up now.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
 Q51  V41
Send PM
yeah, I might even sit in on some consulting classmates' practices just to learn how to do case interviews.

braindancer, saw you at the Consulting BB a couple weeks ago, but had to leave early so I didn't get to say hi. :)
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Hello Kryzack !

I'm in for R1 at Haas !

I'm French / 30yo and I currently work as Marketing Manager in the Wine & Spirit business in Paris, France.

I consider Haas as my first choice due to the location ( close to Napa Valley ;-) and the very good reputation of the Marketing cursus !

Could you give me some tips about the marketing program at haas and above all is there any course / program / company related to the wine & spirit business at Haas ?

Thanks so much !
Current Student
 Q50  V44
Send PM
Oh yes. A *lot* of stuff is related to wine, all across the board. Speakers get invited, special class sessions and case discussions on wine making, etc etc. I have a feeling that there even is an elective class dedicated to this, but I'm not sure, and can't seen to find it right away.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
 Q51  V41
Send PM
what braindancer said, wine is ALL OVER the campus. People are doing their core class organizational behavior projects on the wine industry, Mondavi came to class last year, there's a Wine Club that's very active (more for tasting, but you can definitely use it to network), and with the proximity to Napa/Sonoma, it has to be pretty easy to just drive up there and look for opportunities.

I'm personally not going into marketing, but I'll check around to see if any of my classmates are. Though I"m pretty sure you'll do fine at Haas if you want to get into the wine industry.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Thanks you very much guys !
It sounds really exciting for me ! :-D
If you have a classmate which is involved professionnaly in this domain of activity or a specific elective course it will be also very usefull for me.
On my side I'm trying to reach the Wine Club to chat a little bite with them ...
I'm really eager to have a toast with you on the campus !
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
 Q51  V41
Send PM
well, definitely contact the wine club, they should be responsive. If not, let us know. braindancer may be able to contact some of them personally (since they're in the same class) or I can find someone in my class who's involved with them too.

Let us know if you come and visit too!
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 1076 [0]
Send PM
Hi kryzak,

Just a quick question for you... for reference letters to Haas, is there a guideline of number of pages per letter?

Btw, I will be doing a campus visit on Nov 20th so I'm very much looking forward to that! :)

Cheers!
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
 Q51  V41
Send PM
jjhko wrote:
Hi kryzak,

Just a quick question for you... for reference letters to Haas, is there a guideline of number of pages per letter?

Btw, I will be doing a campus visit on Nov 20th so I'm very much looking forward to that! :)

Cheers!

Hi jjhko,

No, there is no limit, but as long as your recommender answers all the questions completely, you are fine.

Let me know a few days before you come, I can try to meet up for a little bit.

K
GMAT Club Bot
   1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9