Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 23:56 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 23:56

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 951 [0]
Given Kudos: 32
Concentration: Life
Schools:Hard Knocks
 Q47  V42
Send PM
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 37 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Concentration: CPG Marketing
Schools:R1: HBS(A), Kellogg(A), Michigan(A), Duke(A), Wharton(D)
 Q47  V41
Send PM
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 951 [0]
Given Kudos: 32
Concentration: Life
Schools:Hard Knocks
 Q47  V42
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 13 [0]
Schools:Wharton, Chicago
 Q49  V44
Send PM
Re: Benefits of being a GMAT Tutor/Teacher [#permalink]
I don't understand why you would become an instructor for reasons other than for monetary gain. Are you thinking that admissions committees look upon working for these companies as an extra-curricular or something? I seriously doubt that would be the case.
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 155 [0]
Given Kudos: 9
Concentration: Finance
Schools:Kellogg Class of 2011
 Q48  V39
Send PM
From what I have read MGMAT pays their instructors $100/hr and Kaplan and PR pay about $20/hr.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 222 [0]
Given Kudos: 31
Concentration: Healthcare, Strategy, MC
Schools:Kellogg '11
Send PM
jb32 wrote:
From what I have read MGMAT pays their instructors $100/hr and Kaplan and PR pay about $20/hr.

I've heard that the Veritas rates are comparable to MGMAT in case you're curious about those. I also remember the MGMAT folks saying that their instructors earned $100/hour and the rate increased as your tenure at MGMAT increased...

hope this helps!
ac.
PS jallen - am sorry to hear that you're not applying this year...hope everything works out!
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 9 [1]
Send PM
Bookmarks
My MGMAT instructor was a Wharton grad.

MGMAT pays $100/hour while Veritas pays $50-$100/ hour according to various online job listings (still good money), though it's easier to become an instructor with Veritas (https://www.manhattangmat.com/blog/index ... -training/).
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 155 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Concentration: Strategy, Management, Finance
Schools:Chicago Booth 2011
 Q50  V47
Send PM
My instructor was a Wharton grad. She used to joke that when she was hired with a 750 GMAT it was 99th percentile but had dropped to 98th percentile shortly afterwards (when 760 became the new 99%ile). I wonder if they made her retake the test :?

My other instructor scored an 800 both times he took the GMAT, so no worries there :) All I know is that they were both worth every penny they were getting paid; they were that damn good.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: HHonors Diamond, BGS Honor Society
Own Kudos [?]: 3083 [0]
Given Kudos: 7
Schools: Chicago (Booth) - Class of 2009
GMAT 1: 730 Q45 V45
WE:Business Development (Consumer Products)
Send PM
My GMAT instructor was a Kellogg grad, and an ex school teacher pre-MBA as well, so he was especially good I thought. $100 an hour is what I heard. Its definitely good money, unfortunately I didn't score high enough. Just a measly 97% :(

Out of curiosity, I have a friend who is considering the Manhattan courses - I thought they were great - anyone else here have any experiences with them I should pass along? (positive or negative)
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 143 [0]
Given Kudos: 3
Concentration: Technology, Entrepreneurship, VC
Schools:Wharton, LBS, UChicago, Kellogg MMM (Donald Jacobs Scholarship), Stanford, HBS
 Q47  V45
Send PM
Quote:
a measly 97%

It's no good reading this for someone that has his GMAT in 20 hours, rhyme! :)
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 18 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Concentration: Finance, Ibanking
Schools:Chicago Booth '11
Send PM
sonibubu wrote:
My instructor was a Wharton grad. She used to joke that when she was hired with a 750 GMAT it was 99th percentile but had dropped to 98th percentile shortly afterwards (when 760 became the new 99%ile). I wonder if they made her retake the test :?

My other instructor scored an 800 both times he took the GMAT, so no worries there :) All I know is that they were both worth every penny they were getting paid; they were that damn good.

I'm very impressed but why would anyone retake the GMAT when they scored an 800?
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 175 [0]
Given Kudos: 20
Concentration: Management Consulting
Schools: Ross 2012
 Q50  V44
WE 1: 5 Years at Fortune 50 Company in Manufacturing
Send PM
I believe if you are gonna tutor GMAT, you should be in it for the money because:

1.) you're not really going to learning anything about the GMAT that will help you
2.) Practically everyone who is applying to the elite schools qualify to become a tutor
3.) Tutoring for money isn't something you can really use on your application
4.) Way too much upfront time commitment.

I did an interview first round with MGMAT, and was invited to come back for second round, but I decided that the training (unpaid) was ridiculous. The pay is great once you start though if you get alot of hours.
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 332 [0]
Send PM
Try to get an MGMAT teaching position. Kaplan/PR is a joke.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 155 [1]
Given Kudos: 1
Concentration: Strategy, Management, Finance
Schools:Chicago Booth 2011
 Q50  V47
Send PM