Last visit was: 23 Apr 2024, 18:06 It is currently 23 Apr 2024, 18:06

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 8 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 156 [0]
Given Kudos: 6
Schools:Tuck
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 193 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Concentration: Consulting, Marketing
Schools:Tuck, Ross (R1), Duke, Tepper, ISB (R2), Kenan Flagler (R2)
 Q49  V38
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
 Q49  V38
Send PM
Re: Calling all Duke (Fuqua) Fall 2009 applicants! [#permalink]
refurb wrote:
aakashganga wrote:
refurb wrote:
[delete post]

Never mind, I answered my own question!

RF

So what was the answer RF?

I was struggling with the "leader of consequence" question, but a little more thinking led me to come up with a decent outline (I've already scrapped a previous version entirely).

I was going to ask how people were approaching the question.

I've decided to do the following:
1. Define LOC
2. Outline a problem in my industry
3. Discuss specifics about my work experience that set the foundation for being a LOC
4. Talk about Duke specifics that will help me become a LOC
5. Discuss my plans during the first year or two of my post-MBA career
6. Outline a few things I could do to solve the problem
7. Reiterate how Duke will help me become a LOD (relating back to #1)

RF

Nice brainstorming. Do you think it will be useful to determine how your goals need leadership of consequence and character. And then detail out how you will execute that, how Duke will help you achieve it. I think this question needs a reference to one's goals..
Current Student
Send PM
rgajare14 wrote:
Nice brainstorming. Do you think it will be useful to determine how your goals need leadership of consequence and character. And then detail out how you will execute that, how Duke will help you achieve it. I think this question needs a reference to one's goals..

Yeah, I think that's a fine way to approach the question.

I think this is going to be a really important question for the adcom's. It's not a lot different than questions like "What's important to you?".

It's basically asking you, once you enter your post-MBA career, what do you want to do? What's important to you?

I think what makes this question so difficult (for me at least) is the fact there are many different ways to approach it. And each approach can result in a great essay. They are also giving you a lot of room to develop it (almost 1000 words).

RF
Current Student
Send PM
refurb wrote:
rgajare14 wrote:

I think this is going to be a really important question for the adcom's. It's not a lot different than questions like "What's important to you?".

It's basically asking you, once you enter your post-MBA career, what do you want to do? What's important to you?

I think what makes this question so difficult (for me at least) is the fact there are many different ways to approach it. And each approach can result in a great essay. They are also giving you a lot of room to develop it (almost 1000 words).

RF

My only issue is with approaching this essay as a solely professional essay. I feel you need to bring the personal side forward because you have already written the goals essay.
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 233 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Concentration: Social Enterprise
Schools:The Duke MBA, Class of 2009
Send PM
aakashganga wrote:
refurb wrote:
rgajare14 wrote:

RF

My only issue is with approaching this essay as a solely professional essay. I feel you need to bring the personal side forward because you have already written the goals essay.

I would tend to agree with your intuition. tell who you are - make the adcoms know you - outside of the office.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 222 [0]
Given Kudos: 31
Concentration: Healthcare, Strategy, MC
Schools:Kellogg '11
Send PM
I haven't had the chance to attend any Duke events or visit campus as yet but was wondering: how would you all characterize a student who's a good fit for Duke?

thanks,
ac.
Current Student
Send PM
aakashganga wrote:

Do you want to share how you will go beyond a "solely professional essay"?

My viewpoint is that the professional goals are really secondary. WHY you want to pursue those goals and how you go about doing it are really the key to this essay.

RF
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 1598 [0]
Send PM
This might be a silly question. But what is the number of word limitation on the short essay and long essay. I didn't really find that instruction on the website. Thanks. By the way, I am thinking about Duke's health care program and I am going to apply for their Duke MBA weekend for women as well.
Current Student
Send PM
eileen1017 wrote:
This might be a silly question. But what is the number of word limitation on the short essay and long essay. I didn't really find that instruction on the website. Thanks. By the way, I am thinking about Duke's health care program and I am going to apply for their Duke MBA weekend for women as well.

There is no word limit, only a page limit (one page for short essays, two for long). Duke specifies 1.5 line spacing.

From what I've seen, 3 paragraphs, standard margins, 11 point Times New Roman, 1.5 line spacing, will get you ~480 words on a page.

RF
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 30 [0]
Concentration: Consulting
 Q49  V42
Send PM
Couple Updates on Duke -

Got this email -

Join the leadership of Duke University and The Fuqua School of Business, live and online, as we present a business school uniquely relevant to the needs of the 21st century. During this 45-minute experience, Dean Blair Sheppard will present the vision for a new shape and definition of business school as he announces our new global infrastructure.

Will be at 12:45pm and can access it through Duke's website. - www.fuqua.duke.edu/globalwebcast/

Also, how far back is everyone going for significant event? I chose an event quite a long time ago, but it had a VERY significant effect on my life. 10 yrs ago too long? How far is everyone else drawing?

~Sam
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [0]
Schools:Duke, UCLA, Cornell, Ross,Tuck, Haas
Send PM
sam77sam7 wrote:
Couple Updates on Duke -

Got this email -

Join the leadership of Duke University and The Fuqua School of Business, live and online, as we present a business school uniquely relevant to the needs of the 21st century. During this 45-minute experience, Dean Blair Sheppard will present the vision for a new shape and definition of business school as he announces our new global infrastructure.

Will be at 12:45pm and can access it through Duke's website. - https://www.fuqua.duke.edu/globalwebcast/

Also, how far back is everyone going for significant event? I chose an event quite a long time ago, but it had a VERY significant effect on my life. 10 yrs ago too long? How far is everyone else drawing?

~Sam

I chose one from when I was in undergrad ( 6 years back) , but then talked about how it impacted me and changed my outlook ...
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 18 [0]
Send PM
Hey folks. I'm in for R1 at Fuqua, mostly going for the nonprofit/social enterprise thing. I know a Fuqua student there now, and she's uber-impressive... based solely on that impression, I have a high regard for Team Fuqua kids.

Profiles for the rest of y'all?

(And yeah, Durham sucks. But then, so does the University of Maryland.)
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 233 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Concentration: Social Enterprise
Schools:The Duke MBA, Class of 2009
Send PM
Ntang wrote:
Hey folks. I'm in for R1 at Fuqua, mostly going for the nonprofit/social enterprise thing. I know a Fuqua student there now, and she's uber-impressive... based solely on that impression, I have a high regard for Team Fuqua kids.

Profiles for the rest of y'all?

(And yeah, Durham sucks. But then, so does the University of Maryland.)

welcome!

AAU
Duke MBA
Class of 2009
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
 Q49  V38
Send PM
Quote:
I chose one from when I was in undergrad ( 6 years back) , but then talked about how it impacted me and changed my outlook ...

I was thinking of maybe re using the challenge essay to describe this as an event which changed my outlook. What do you think ? And this for me is 6yrs old from my undergrad days.[/quote]
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [0]
Schools:Duke, UCLA, Cornell, Ross,Tuck, Haas
Send PM
rgajare14 wrote:
Quote:

I was thinking of maybe re using the challenge essay to describe this as an event which changed my outlook. What do you think ? And this for me is 6yrs old from my undergrad days.
[/quote]

In my case , I described an anecdote and then talked about how after this I got more involved with the community , it gave me a chance to discuss my extracurricular activities.....
Current Student
Send PM
prospect wrote:
In my case , I described an anecdote and then talked about how after this I got more involved with the community , it gave me a chance to discuss my extracurricular activities.....

Nice!

RF
Current Student
Send PM
Anyone finished the long essay? I think I am going to tune in to the globalcast. It might help me understand more about Duke's leadership initiative.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 222 [0]
Given Kudos: 31
Concentration: Healthcare, Strategy, MC
Schools:Kellogg '11
Send PM
Hey folks,
Does anyone have the recommendation forms for this year's app? I couldn't see a PDF version of the form on the app. (Admittedly, I am hopeless when it comes to finding things in those apps!)
Thansk for your help,
ac.
GMAT Club Bot
   1  ...  3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11  ...  50