Last visit was: 23 Apr 2024, 20:41 It is currently 23 Apr 2024, 20:41

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 349 [0]
Given Kudos: 12
Schools:Chicago Booth '11
 Q50  V38
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 527 [0]
Given Kudos: 15
Concentration: Finance, Entrepreneurship
WE:General Management (Manufacturing)
Send PM
Current Student
 Q50  V38
Send PM
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 156 [0]
Given Kudos: 6
Schools:Tuck
Send PM
Re: Calling all Darden Fall 2009 applicants! [#permalink]
Wow! A total of only 1000 words for the entire application?

Is that officially the shortest MBA essay collection or what?

RF
Current Student
Given Kudos: 29
Concentration: Brand
Schools:Cornell '11
 Q47  V40
Send PM
Very very interesting. I am looking forward to attacking these. The word count will make it really hard.....yet fun.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 37 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Concentration: 20% From Concentration
Schools:The School that shall not be named
 Q49  V38
Send PM
Re: essays [#permalink]
devansh_god wrote:
Hey guys,

Here are the essays:
1)What pivotal choices have you made in your life that have influenced your decision to pursue an MBA? (500 words)
2)From the following categories, describe the one that has taught you the most: a creative challenge, an ethical dilemma or an experience of failure. Why? (250 words)
3)Describe how you are a fit with the case study method. (250 words)

Enjoyyyy!!!! Best of Luck........ :wink:

I think #2 is especially not easy... a creative challenge by itself?
And, only 1000 words? wow....
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 223 [0]
Given Kudos: 22
Concentration: General Management
Schools:NYU Stern '11
I don't see how anyone can put together a compelling response to #3 without visiting a case class at Darden! They should have continued with their tradition of requiring appliance initiated interviews.
Current Student
Send PM
solaris1 wrote:
I don't see how anyone can put together a compelling response to #3 without visiting a case class at Darden! They should have continued with their tradition of requiring appliance initiated interviews.

I would disagree. I think one can talk about a skill set that meshes well with the case study format. Skills like assertiveness, clear communication skills, "thinking on the fly", etc.

Back those skills up with real-world examples from your past and you're golden!

RF
VP
VP
Okay, and how do you know these are skills emphasized in the case study format at Darden? You sat in on a class at Duke?
I mean you could say Darden student pelihu told us so on an internet message board, but that sounds a little weak. :lol:

This is a trick question! You have to talk about either a class visit or interactions with Darden alumni.

refurb wrote:
I would disagree. I think one can talk about a skill set that meshes well with the case study format. Skills like assertiveness, clear communication skills, "thinking on the fly", etc.
RF
Current Student
 Q50  V38
Send PM
solaris1 wrote:
Okay, and how do you know these are skills emphasized in the case study format at Darden? You sat in on a class at Duke?
I mean you could say Darden student pelihu told us so on an internet message board, but that sounds a little weak. :lol:

This is a trick question! You have to talk about either a class visit or interactions with Darden alumni.

refurb wrote:
RF

I disagree. How does it show fit sitting in a class where you are not even permitted to speak? Fit entails talking about how you can handle a case study discussion and show relevent experiences in your past that prove this point. The case method at darden is the same as it is in harvard or any other school. As long as you have a good understanding of how this method works I think that is sufficient. You probably need to cite knowledge of the method.
VP
VP
That's the crux of our disagreement. How do you cite knowledge of the method and tie it specifically to Darden without having visited a case class there?

terp26 wrote:
You probably need to cite knowledge of the method.
Current Student
Send PM
refurb wrote:
RF
solaris1 wrote:

How much does the case study method differ between schools? I think you'd be OK talking about the case study method in generalities. No matter what school you go to, if they rely on case study you're going to have to have certain attributes to be successful, namely the ones I mentioned above.

Plus, you only have 250 words! It might be tough talking about your visit and fitting in enough to make for a good essay!

RF
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 1454 [0]
Send PM
Switching focus for a second...How do you believe question 1 should be tackled? I don't see how one can talk about more than 1 pivotal moment in 500 words, if that moment really is a pivotal life changing decision? It says "decisions" but MUST be talk about more than one.
Current Student
Send PM
jimmyjamesdonkey wrote:
Switching focus for a second...How do you believe question 1 should be tackled? I don't see how one can talk about more than 1 pivotal moment in 500 words, if that moment really is a pivotal life changing decision? It says "decisions" but MUST be talk about more than one.

I think you'll have to approach like any other goals essay, they don't give you any other place to do it. Instead of directly stating short and long term career goals, why MBA, why now, you'll have to phrase them as "pivotal life choices". You can leave the "why Darden" to the last essay.

RF
Current Student
 Q49  V38
Send PM
Anyone planning on visit anytime soon?
I wanted to go visit but have no time :(
Maybe next month for me....
VP
VP
November for me, after I finish NYU.

fatb wrote:
Anyone planning on visit anytime soon?
I wanted to go visit but have no time :(
Maybe next month for me....
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 18 [0]
Send PM
Hey folks. Newbie to the board here. Applying R1.

Also, I went to UVA undergrad. As far as I'm concerned, Charlottesville is the best place to live, ever. Pretty seriously thinking about settling down there and starting my own business - after Darden, of course. So by all means, if you have a chip on your shoulder about the "South," don't bother applying. Stick to Tuck or NYU or something... makes it easier for me!

I dunno if this matters to anyone, but Darden is located right next to the Law school, so there's a lot of cross-socialization there. And you're pretty far away from the undergrads. Too bad, because UVA is heavy on hot women.

Wahoo-wa.
Current Student
 Q47  V40
Send PM
Visited Darden yesterday. Great place! They managed to make their Accounting class fun (didnt know that was possible)

Anyway, a tip from admissions. Essay word limits mean LIMIT. DO NOT GO OVER.
Current Student
 Q49  V38
Send PM
Just curious, even accounting and some math intensive finance classes are case study based?
I wonder how that can be done
Current Student
 Q47  V40
Send PM
I was in Managerial Accounting class and before you enter, they give the visitors a copy of the case so they can follow along and understand. The case for accounting was short and included the finances and such for the company being discussed....I guess thats how it can fit with accounting.

fatb wrote:
Just curious, even accounting and some math intensive finance classes are case study based?
I wonder how that can be done
GMAT Club Bot
   1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11  ...  35