Last visit was: 23 Apr 2024, 11:02 It is currently 23 Apr 2024, 11:02

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 23 [0]
Schools:Chicago Booth '11
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 9 [0]
Concentration: Entrepreneurship
Schools:MIT
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Send PM
Re: Calling all MIT Fall 2009 applicants! [#permalink]
Awesome, thanks a lot collegesenior.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 33 [0]
Given Kudos: 4
Send PM
Getting nostalgic when I read about people visiting and the places they want to see. Lived 7 years in Boston (most of the time near MIT), met a couple of very cool Sloan people (they have great parties!). Now I'm at LBS, I love it here but there are certainly things I miss here from the US. Anyways, if you guys are visiting, here are some bars/clubs to check out in Cambridge:

Central Sq
- Middlesex (bar/club, quite upscale for Cambridge, but cool crowd, probably the most popular place at the moment)
- Zuzu (bar/restaurant, Saturday it's a club playing funk)
- People's Republic (great bar, the name says enough about the crowd there)
- Enormous Room (lounge/bar)
- Middle East (bar, restaurant (great food), concerts)

Never was a real fan of Harvard Sq, there is the Hong Kong's (hip hop, grinding place), Red Line (bar/club, somewhat boring I always thought), and Shays (nice little bar with outdoor seating).

Have fun guys... miss Cambridge a lot.
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 138 [0]
Given Kudos: 16
Schools:Duke 2012
Send PM
Does MIT have classes on Friday? I noticed the ambassador program only runs M-Th.

It would be ideal if I could tack a day onto a trip I'm already taking.
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 107 [0]
Given Kudos: 15
Schools:Kellogg '10
 Q46  V47
Send PM
To answer my own question from earlier in the thread (in case anyone is interested), admission to the E&I program is now determined in your first-year at Sloan. You submit an essay and some other info after you are in the program. They said this was done to make it easier, but I'm not sure how this is necessarily the case. I didn't have the opportunity to ask follow-up questions.

(Ambassador's program today...Sloan is great!)

Good luck everyone!
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 303 [0]
Concentration: Finance, Entrepreneurship, Health Care
Schools:Wharton
 Q50  V44
Send PM
Has anyone written the cover letter yet? Did you guys include names, addresses, and dates in the business letter format? Would you count this as part of the word count/line count?
Director
Director
 Q46  V47
Send PM
zoinnk wrote:
Has anyone written the cover letter yet? Did you guys include names, addresses, and dates in the business letter format? Would you count this as part of the word count/line count?

I am not including that stuff in the word count but I will include it in the requirement to keep it to 1 page, which may require some margin management or other formatting tricks.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 303 [0]
Concentration: Finance, Entrepreneurship, Health Care
Schools:Wharton
 Q50  V44
Send PM
rca215 wrote:
zoinnk wrote:

I am not including that stuff in the word count but I will include it in the requirement to keep it to 1 page, which may require some margin management or other formatting tricks.

Turns out they don't have a one page limit for the cover letter:

Cover Letter
Prepare a cover letter (up to 500 words) seeking a place in the MIT Sloan MBA Program. Describe your accomplishments and include an example of how you had an impact on a group or organization. Your letter should conform to standard business correspondence and be addressed to Mr. Rod Garcia, Director of MBA Admissions.
Director
Director
 Q46  V47
Send PM
zoinnk wrote:
rca215 wrote:
zoinnk wrote:

Turns out they don't have a one page limit for the cover letter:

Cover Letter
Prepare a cover letter (up to 500 words) seeking a place in the MIT Sloan MBA Program. Describe your accomplishments and include an example of how you had an impact on a group or organization. Your letter should conform to standard business correspondence and be addressed to Mr. Rod Garcia, Director of MBA Admissions.

I'll plan to keep it to one page anyway since that is fairly standard business practice.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 222 [0]
Given Kudos: 31
Concentration: Healthcare, Strategy, MC
Schools:Kellogg '11
Send PM
So I participated in the ambassadors program today - sat in on a marketing class, met with some current students for lunch, had a Q&A session w/ an adcom. Overall a good experience!

Some observations:
- the Sloan students really really seem to love it. I asked them "what do you like least about the school?" and the only answer was "the construction sucks." They raved about the classes, the community, the students, etc. (side note: apparently construction should be done by Q2 2009)
- there are some dorms available for Sloan students but most live off campus and scattered throughout cambridge/boston; they said that "scatteredness" doesn't impact the sense of community - still easy to get to know everyone since most students spend the bulk of the day at Sloan
- the adcoms were really pushing the E&I program - they're really proud of it and the different thought labs running at MIT
- they're also really proud that their version of the "core" is only 1 semester long, leaves room for an extra semester worth of electives

Anyone else visit? What did you think?
cheers,
ac.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
ac8706 wrote:
So I participated in the ambassadors program today - sat in on a marketing class, met with some current students for lunch, had a Q&A session w/ an adcom. Overall a good experience!

Some observations:
- the Sloan students really really seem to love it. I asked them "what do you like least about the school?" and the only answer was "the construction sucks." They raved about the classes, the community, the students, etc. (side note: apparently construction should be done by Q2 2009)
- there are some dorms available for Sloan students but most live off campus and scattered throughout cambridge/boston; they said that "scatteredness" doesn't impact the sense of community - still easy to get to know everyone since most students spend the bulk of the day at Sloan
- the adcoms were really pushing the E&I program - they're really proud of it and the different thought labs running at MIT
- they're also really proud that their version of the "core" is only 1 semester long, leaves room for an extra semester worth of electives

Anyone else visit? What did you think?
cheers,
ac.

The new building will be ready June 2010. Recently attended and was quite impressed by an MIT Sloan On The Road presentation (though the Harvard comparisons may have been overdone)

Two links that may be of interest:
https://techtv.mit.edu/file/446
https://mitsloan.mit.edu/experience/
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 14 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
Hey guys, are you having with the "thought, felt and said" parts of the essay?

I just can't seem to get much substance on these topics. Eg. when I executed a plan, I thought about what needed to be done, what issues I might encounter and how I was going to resolve them. I felt at times anxious, frustrated, and eventually, relieved when it was all done. I said to my fellow workers "let's do X and Y". But is this even good material? And are these mundane details what MIT really wants to read about?
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
Hey guys,

I felt it very difficult to constrain my cover letter within 500 words since I want to write a lot of things in it. Like my achievement, why mba why mit, my motivation, long term and short term goal, and also an example how I make impact.

So it's very hard to put all these things in 500 words. Does anyone have any suggestion?
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 16 [0]
Schools:HBS Stanford Kellogg Wharton Tuck MIT Sloan
 Q51  V44
Send PM
Anyone have a standard business correspondence format that MIT is looking for ? I have no idea what they mean by standard format..? anything specific i should look out for ?
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 16 [0]
Schools:HBS Stanford Kellogg Wharton Tuck MIT Sloan
 Q51  V44
Send PM
syings wrote:
Hey guys,

I felt it very difficult to constrain my cover letter within 500 words since I want to write a lot of things in it. Like my achievement, why mba why mit, my motivation, long term and short term goal, and also an example how I make impact.

So it's very hard to put all these things in 500 words. Does anyone have any suggestion?

a trick that helped me cut words out of the essay..leave the essay for a while - come back to it..cut out sections that you think arent really important..only way is to prioritize things that make you look best and leave out other accomplishments
Manager
Manager
Send PM
MIT Sloan Chat Oct. 7, 2008 with Jennifer Burke Barba

Join us for our MIT Sloan admissions chat on Tuesday, Oct. 7, at 10:00 AM PT/1:00 PM EST/5:00 PM GMT when Jennifer Burke Barba, MIT Sloan's Assistant Director of MBA Admissions, and other members of the MIT community will participate in this chat devoted to MIT's admissions policies, program, and student life. Jennifer can answer any questions about MIT admissions from domestic or international applicants. Don’t sit there and wonder about MIT’s top-ranked program; come to the chat and discover the answers.

The chat will take place in the Accepted chat room.

If you are not sure of the time in your location, please visit www.timeanddate.com .

For further information, please e-mail your questions to mbachat@accepted.com.

Schedule for all chats at https://www.accepted.com/Chat/schedule.aspx
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 222 [0]
Given Kudos: 31
Concentration: Healthcare, Strategy, MC
Schools:Kellogg '11
Send PM
They just posted dates for SLoan on the Road events.

Our schedule throughout October and November is below:

Minneapolis: Wednesday, October 1
Detroit: Thursday, October 2
Chicago: Friday, October 3
Miami: Friday, October 10
New York City: Tuesday, October 14
Newport Beach: Tuesday, October 14
Los Angeles: Wednesday, October 15
San Francisco: Thursday, October 16
Palo Alto: Friday, October 17
Dallas: Wednesday, October 22
Austin: Thursday, October 23
Philadelphia: Thursday, October 23
Salt Lake City: MBA admissions panel, Monday, November 10
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 291 [0]
Concentration: Investment Banking
Schools:Chicago (dinged), Tuck (November), Columbia (RD)
Send PM
How disadvantaged are you if you apply to Sloan in Round 2? I have heard in the past that Round 2 at Sloan is very, very difficult.

Additionally - does anyone know if MIT requires a recommendation from your direct supervisor? They make no mention of it.
GMAT Club Bot
   1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11  ...  27