Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 16:28 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 16:28

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 70 [0]
Given Kudos: 3
Concentration: Entrepreneurship
Schools:HBS Class of 2011
Send PM
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 806 [0]
Given Kudos: 5
Concentration: General/Operations Management
Schools:Kellogg Alum: Class of 2010
 Q49  V42
Send PM
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 155 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Concentration: Strategy, Management, Finance
Schools:Chicago Booth 2011
 Q50  V47
Send PM
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 166 [0]
Concentration: Analytic Finance, Economics and Strategic Management
Schools:Chicago Booth Class of 2010
 Q49  V44
Send PM
Re: At which schools can you defer admission for a year? [#permalink]
I met a couple of people who deferred at MIT and at GSB and I have a friend that could do so at Harvard. I don't know the reason for the MIT student, and the GSB one I don't know also, but his in my class.

I know the history of my friend with Harvad though. He had started a business with some friends and he thought that he could let everything with his partners; however, the business developed much faster than they were predicting and he decided to postpone. Harvard let he in with a updated Resume and an Essay telling how was his experience during this year. This person graduated as the Top Student from a Top 3 engineering school in Brazil, worked for some big consulting companies, and is perhaps the most intelligent (analytical, emotional and social) person I have ever known.

He was dinged by Kellogg at the first year he applied.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 70 [0]
Concentration: Entrepreneurship
Schools:HBS Class of 2011
Send PM
Given how the economy is doing, it might make sense to stay at my job for another year (ib) and make an extra cushion.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 806 [0]
Given Kudos: 5
Concentration: General/Operations Management
Schools:Kellogg Alum: Class of 2010
 Q49  V42
Send PM
If thats your reason you probably wont get a deferment from any of the top schools. If it was health reasons, family issues, or even your own business maybe they would...but in your case they would most likely tell you to reapply and then there is no promise you will get in again.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 33 [0]
Given Kudos: 4
Send PM
Heard of two deferrals who would have been in my class (LBS). One didn't feel ready (not sure what he wrote, I'm sure he came up with a good reason). The other asked to finish her post-doc.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
I know several people who have deferred (one from Wharton). Ive heard that deferring with schools is like deferring offers from a company...if the company really wants you then they will let you defer for a year or so, if not, well then...eh. The same goes for schools. Honestly if they want you and you really need to defer or else you wouldn't have gone anyway then they don't really lose anything- they can either not have you at all or have the chance to have you in next year's class...really no downside for them I see.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 10 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
 Q48  V44
Send PM
So, if my reason is something like, "My startup just got acquired and there's 6 figures worth of incentive bonuses that I'd like to get (to help pay for b-school of course) for sticking around an extra year," then is this a good reason or are they just going to brush me off? I'm not admitted anywhere yet, but I'm just wondering how great my reason has to be to hit pause for 12 months. I mean, I'm still going to b-school, this year or next.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 40 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
A question I have about deferment is..is it okay to explore the issue with adcom and if they don't allow you, do you still at least retain your current admission? Or will they look at your application for deferment as indication that you are not really interested in attending the school and withdraw your acceptance?
GMAT Club Bot