Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 17:55 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 17:55

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Difficulty: 505-555 Levelx   Parallelismx               
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 1276 [103]
Given Kudos: 0
 Q50  V31
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 42103 [24]
Given Kudos: 422
WE:Education (Education)
Send PM
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 42103 [7]
Given Kudos: 422
WE:Education (Education)
Send PM
General Discussion
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 84 [5]
Send PM
Re: Scientists believe that unlike the males of most species of moth, the [#permalink]
Kudos
Bookmarks
D.
by the use of can be simply expressed by using
and last THEY in A is redundant. A and B out.

C is out because By atrracting is not correct usage. Even though we assume it were to keep parallelizm by must be used before using olfactory.

E. logically Call and Atract must be parallel.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [1]
Send PM
Re: Scientists believe that unlike the males of most species of moth, the [#permalink]
Kudos
The use of the verb 'call' should eliminate 'attracting'.

So, B,C & E out.

A - they attract is unnecessary. Just 'attract' will do.

D - My choice.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 77 [1]
Given Kudos: 2
GMAT 1: 660 Q47 V34
GMAT 2: 670 Q48 V34
GPA: 3.2
WE:Operations (Non-Profit and Government)
Send PM
Kudos
A clear parallelism question.
1. whistling = using
2. rather than
A. "by the use" - incorrect.
B. same as A.
C. by using sounds wrong.
Only D & E have "using". D is correct because it uses the idiom rather than (the same one that appears in the end of the sentence).
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 166 [2]
Given Kudos: 9
Concentration: Technology, Operations
GMAT 1: 680 Q50 V31
GPA: 3.9
WE:Information Technology (Computer Software)
Send PM
Kudos
vivektripathi wrote:
Scientists believe that unlike the males of most species of moth, the male whistling moths of Nambung, Australia, call female moths to them by the use of acoustical signals, but not olfactory ones, and they attract their mates during the day, rather than at night.

(A) by the use of acoustical signals, but not olfactory ones, and they attract

(B) by the use of acoustical signals instead of using olfactory ones, and attracting

(C) by using acoustical signals, not using olfactory ones, and by attracting

(D) using acoustical signals, rather than olfactory ones, and attract

(E) using acoustical signals, but not olfactory ones, and attracting

idea is to make "call" and "attract" parallel. Only option D does that.

(B) by the use of acoustical signals instead of using olfactory ones, and attracting

=====================Hit kudos if it helped pls==============
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 396 [3]
Given Kudos: 2198
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
I think that "by the use"is wrong grammatically, not idiomatic
we have to use 'with' before a noun to show a method of a main verb

I write with a pen
I learn gmat with a good spirit

we do not use "by" , anyone know, pls, show it here

we can use "by doing" or "doing" to show a method of a main verb in the main clause.

we can use "by" showing a method of a noun

the extraction by the use of chemicals is good
requirement by the program is high

those sentences possibly is correct
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 153 [0]
Given Kudos: 445
Schools: IIM (II)
GMAT 1: 640 Q46 V32
GPA: 3.84
Send PM
vivektripathi wrote:
Scientists believe that unlike the males of most species of moth, the male whistling moths of Nambung, Australia, call female moths to them by the use of acoustical signals, but not olfactory ones, and they attract their mates during the day, rather than at night.

Correct option along with the non-underlined portion-

Scientists believe that unlike the males of most species of moth, the male whistling moths of Nambung, Australia, call female moths to them using acoustical signals, rather than olfactory ones, and that attract their mates during the day, rather than at night.

My doubt is that- Why we dont need THAT (marked in red) for parallelism?

It would be great if someone can clarify it.

Regards,
Tamal
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 396 [0]
Given Kudos: 2198
Send PM
"by+noun" is not used to show the means with which action in the main clause is done. only some idioms allow this case
I go by plain/by train.

normally we use "doing" or "by doing" to show the means with which the action in the main clause is done. I think. both doing and by+doing are the same

I learn gmat by reading a lot.

"by use of acoustic signal" in choice A and B is not idiomatic.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Affiliations: CrackVerbal
Own Kudos [?]: 7626 [4]
Given Kudos: 215
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
This question tests you on the concept of parallelism.

The first clue here is the phrase ‘call female moths.’ This means that the next verb should agree with this form – simple present.
In other words, this is how the two actions/verbs will observe parallelism.

The sentence is saying that male whistling moths call using acoustical signals and attract their mates during the day.

It’s elegant to say ‘using’ instead of saying ‘by the use of’ – this is a matter of construction.

Let’s look at the options now:

(A) by the use of acoustical signals, but not olfactory ones, and they attract - Eliminate

(B) by the use of acoustical signals instead of using olfactory ones, and attracting - Eliminate

(C) by using acoustical signals, not using olfactory ones, and by attracting - Eliminate

(E) using acoustical signals, but not olfactory ones, and attracting - Eliminate

Based on the two errors that are pointed out in red, we can eliminate Options A, B, C, and E.

Option D is the best choice.

Hope this helps!
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 0 [0]
Given Kudos: 3
Send PM
A and B are wordy

in between C, D and E, parallelism is only correct in D
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 14 [0]
Given Kudos: 139
Send PM
Dear experts,

I have 2 questions.

1) How we actually know that "attract" must be parallel with "call" or "using"?

2) Is "using (present participle)" without "by" correct and not ambiguous? It may modify verb "call" (How the male moths call) or modify "them"? Generally, if present participle comes immediately after noun without comma, it will be supposed to modify the closet noun. Why (D) is acceptable?

Thank you in advance :)
Target Test Prep Representative
Own Kudos [?]: 507 [2]
Given Kudos: 1
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V51
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
Tanchat wrote:
Dear experts,

I have 2 questions.

Use the context.

Using acoustical signals is a description of how males communicate with females. The part starting with "attract" does not contain additional specifics about male communication, so it would make no sense to put that part in parallel with using acoustical signals.

Instead, these are two separate observations about the behavior of male moths: /1/ they use auditory signaling, and /2/ they attract females during daytime hours.

Quote:
2) Is "using (present participle)" without "by" correct and not ambiguous? It may modify verb "call" (How the male moths call) or modify "them"?

Modifiers NEVER apply to object pronouns (him, her, them, etc).

(It's possible to put a modifier on a subject pronoun—e.g., He who hesitates is lost—but that's more of a literary/poetic sort of thing and is extremely unlikely to show up on this test.)
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [0]
Given Kudos: 15
Send PM
Scientists believe that unlike the males of most species of moth, the [#permalink]
RonTargetTestPrep wrote:
Tanchat wrote:
Dear experts,

I have 2 questions.

Use the context.

Using acoustical signals is a description of how males communicate with females. The part starting with "attract" does not contain additional specifics about male communication, so it would make no sense to put that part in parallel with using acoustical signals.

Instead, these are two separate observations about the behavior of male moths: /1/ they use auditory signaling, and /2/ they attract females during daytime hours.

Quote:
2) Is "using (present participle)" without "by" correct and not ambiguous? It may modify verb "call" (How the male moths call) or modify "them"?

(It's possible to put a modifier on a subject pronoun—e.g., He who hesitates is lost—but that's more of a literary/poetic sort of thing and is extremely unlikely to show up on this test.)

Hi RonTargetTestPrep i remember you said "using" can be functioned as a preposition. Is the "using" here the same case?
Experts' Global Representative
Own Kudos [?]: 4683 [0]
Given Kudos: 38
GMAT Date: 11-01-2019
Send PM
Expert Reply
louisinau wrote:
RonTargetTestPrep wrote:
Tanchat wrote:
Dear experts,

I have 2 questions.

Use the context.

Quote:

Hi RonTargetTestPrep i remember you said "using" can be functioned as a preposition. Is the "using" here the same case?

Hello louisinau,

We hope this finds you well.

To answer your query, here "using" serves as an adverb that modifies the verb "call".

We hope this helps.
All the best!
Experts' Global Team
Target Test Prep Representative
Own Kudos [?]: 507 [1]
Given Kudos: 1
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V51
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
louisinau wrote:

Yes! "Using", in this case, works in much the same way as "with". (with + TOOL, or with + METHOD/TECHNIQUE[/i], is a common idiom used to state the means or methodology used to accomplish something)

We could also substitute "by means of" for "using" here. (A little bit wordy, so not quite as good—but still a workable sentence.)
Non-Human User
Own Kudos [?]: 848 [0]
Send PM
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
GMAT Club Bot
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6920 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts