Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 04:39 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 04:39

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Given Kudos:
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, International Business
WE:Supply Chain Management (Energy and Utilities)
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Given Kudos:
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, International Business
WE:Supply Chain Management (Energy and Utilities)
Don't Worry About It [#permalink]
The test is nothing to worry about it. as long as you got a secure CS job. That's the most important thing
Good luck
Founder
Founder
Own Kudos [?]: 72865 [0]
Given Kudos: 18857
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3
Send PM
Re: 620 and what? [#permalink]
Expert Reply
Lincoln wrote:
Hi,
I am a PhD candidate in Computer Science at a university in Colorado.
I plan to take GMAT sometime in Sep. this year. I plan to take advantage of this coming summer break and spend at least two months (full time) on the preparation.

To gauge my level, I took one PowerPrep sample test this morning, and finished the Math section with 25 minutes left (I guess I went too fast :-), but had lots of problems with the sentence construction sections. Here is a rough outline of the result:
Screwed a few Math problems.
Screwed 7 out of 15 for sentence replacement/construction problems.
4 out of 14 for reading comprehension problems.
3 out of 11 for CR problems.
So the total score comes out as something close to 630.

I am from China originally, and have been working towards PhD in CS for the past six years. (Will get it this Dec. hopefully). I think I have strong reading and analytical abilities because I took a lot of graduate math classes and have read a lot of English books.

The biggest problem for me is the sentence replacement problems. They are too tricky and I am simply not good at grammar since I first started learning English as a second language.

I just surfed this site and followed suggestions of a few posts and have purchased

Schaum's Outline of English Grammar AND
Kaplan GMAT Verbal Workbook

Also, I plan to take GMAT training class offered by a small local firm called
Gorilla Test Prep
https://www.gorillatestprep.com

Personally, the most effective way to prepare for any exam is to find another person who are equally motivated and work together closely. The synergy derived from it is just amazing. I remember I took GRE while I was a junior in College back in China. Never read an English book seriously but I had a very smart partner. We worked together for three months. I had a fever the night before the test thus couldnтАЩt sleep well. Guess how much I got? 2110. I got admitted into the PhD program, and my test-partner got into the PhD program in Washington State University.

I think my general language ability has improved a LOT during this past 6 years of intensive study in the States. However, the sad news is that I cannot find a test partner this timeтАж

I really want to get a high score (>750) out of this test.
Can you offer your valuable suggestions on how to achieve this goal given my background?

Would you mind if I asked you some questions about what you think about the course? It will be a great help to many to hear your opinion.

Bogdan.

-=-
Intern
Intern
Send PM
course [#permalink]
Sure, I'd love to input my experience. BB, you must be refering to the courses from new oriental school, right? They are wonderful, a lot of exercise. a typical course such as TOEFL and GRE run 3 months long, and meets twich each week. So it is meeting around 20~24 times (2 hours/evening). Usually, each teacher teaches only one part: for example, there are special GRE verbal teachers, and special GRE math teachers, and special logic teachers.

Then encourage students form small groups. "you will learn most from your neighbor sitting next to you in the classrom" is what they say and believe. And it is quite right.

If you are talking about the GMAT class, then it has not started yet. I will start next week. I will input my two cents later on...
Founder
Founder
Own Kudos [?]: 72865 [0]
Given Kudos: 18857
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3
Send PM
Re: course [#permalink]
Expert Reply
Lincoln wrote:
Sure, I'd love to input my experience. BB, you must be refering to the courses from new oriental school, right? They are wonderful, a lot of exercise. a typical course such as TOEFL and GRE run 3 months long, and meets twich each week. So it is meeting around 20~24 times (2 hours/evening). Usually, each teacher teaches only one part: for example, there are special GRE verbal teachers, and special GRE math teachers, and special logic teachers.

Then encourage students form small groups. "you will learn most from your neighbor sitting next to you in the classrom" is what they say and believe. And it is quite right.

If you are talking about the GMAT class, then it has not started yet. I will start next week. I will input my two cents later on...

:oops: yes, that was vague. I meant Gorilla classes.

I am thankful for the insight on the other one as well.

-=-
GMAT Club Bot
Re: course [#permalink]