Last visit was: 23 Apr 2024, 12:53 It is currently 23 Apr 2024, 12:53

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 10 [0]
Send PM
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 215 [0]
Given Kudos: 4
Concentration: Investment Management
Schools:CBS, Cornell, Duke, Ross, Darden
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Re: Calling all Darden Fall 2009 applicants! [#permalink]
Like I said, just the usual nonsense like "Who is your daddy and what does he do?" Honestly, when I saw that it kind of took the wind out of my sails and I started watching South Park. Live to fight another day...
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 520 [0]
Schools:Darden
 Q50  V51
Send PM
McDargoiowkel wrote:
So, I started my online application with Darden today. Hidden amongst some innocuous questions about education background is this beauty:

Please complete the following statement using 100 words or less.
I am a person who __________________________, with expertise in ____________________________. *

WTF? The asterisk means it's required. So vague. I guess it's some sort of written rorschach test. Any ideas?

p.s. What's with all the questions...family background, who else I'm interested in, etc. It's like a bad first date.

They didn't have that question when I applied (at least I don't recall, it's been a while) but it's only 100 words, so they are obviously limiting how much stuff they want you to put in this essay. I look at it as an opportunity to identify a few subjects to discuss in an interview; and to be creative and demonstrate some language skills. Pet-lover, expert in basket weaving? I don't look at it as a place to detail your abilities or technical skills.

(note, I have no influence or even regular contact with the admissions people here)
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 155 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Concentration: Strategy, Management, Finance
Schools:Chicago Booth 2011
 Q50  V47
Send PM
I just noticed that the latest class profile for Darden is up.

https://www.darden.virginia.edu/html/sta ... d=2&id=819

Avg GMAT, as expected, went up 5 points from 688 to 693.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [0]
Send PM
Did anyone attend class for writing Case Study Essay?
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 37 [0]
Concentration: 20% From Concentration
Schools:The School that shall not be named
 Q49  V38
Send PM
Anyone attending today's "day in Darden" or something like that?
I wanted to go but my schedule does not allow it. :(
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 1454 [0]
Send PM
anyone else have any comments on this lovely question....

I am a person who __________________________, with expertise in ____________________________. *
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 222 [0]
Given Kudos: 31
Concentration: Healthcare, Strategy, MC
Schools:Kellogg '11
Send PM
Joining the darden train...I'm almost certain (95%) that I'll be applying for R2. I'll be finalizing my R2 plans this weekend so will keep everyone posted :)
woo!
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
 Q48  V41
Send PM
Hi guys,
Yet another aspirant of Darden MBA.
Am an Indian with 5 yrs of experience in IT industry.
Planning to apply in R1.

-Achilles
Manager
Manager
Send PM
pelihu wrote:

They didn't have that question when I applied (at least I don't recall, it's been a while) but it's only 100 words, so they are obviously limiting how much stuff they want you to put in this essay. I look at it as an opportunity to identify a few subjects to discuss in an interview; and to be creative and demonstrate some language skills. Pet-lover, expert in basket weaving? I don't look at it as a place to detail your abilities or technical skills.

(note, I have no influence or even regular contact with the admissions people here)

Do you think there's any significance to the fact that it's in the educational history section? Also, Darden provides no format for uploading your transcript.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
*sorry, it's under family history. so weird.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [0]
Send PM
any hints on Case Study Essay 3? I haven't visited the class yet to explain my experices from class.
So, I am planning to write, "have so and so experieces in my work environment which is similar to Case study and why i like this approach and what i am looking for from daraden case study"

is my approach correct?
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
Anyone attending the info session in Atlanta this week?
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 13 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
Anybody has any info whether Darden still has the GATE loan program for international students? Or any no-cosigner loan for int'l students?

And how is the consulting recruiting going this year? Any info will be welcome. Thanks people
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 520 [0]
Schools:Darden
 Q50  V51
Send PM
filmcity wrote:
Anybody has any info whether Darden still has the GATE loan program for international students? Or any no-cosigner loan for int'l students?

And how is the consulting recruiting going this year? Any info will be welcome. Thanks people

I believe that the GATE loan program expired as of this year, but last I heard they were trying to put something together so that international students could get the money they need without co-signers. I remember hearing this a few months ago, but of course, credit markets have deteriorated substantially since then (and even in the past weeks). Not sure how that will work out.

I believe consulting recruiting is robust this year, but that competition will be intense. There's a new BW article talking about bankers jumping over to consulting. I've talked to reps from BCG and McKinsey in the past week who have told me the same thing, that they plan to hire the same number of people (second year students) as last year, but that yield from their summer programs was much higher than normal. What this means is that spots available to new hires will be limited, and competition is much greater than normal with people who in past years would be returning with bulge-bracket offers (highly competitive candidates) now looking at consulting. I think first year recruiting is still good, but more people might be interested in those jobs.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
Attended the Darden reception last night.It was a fruitful one.

A number of current students and Alumni were there.I found some stuff for my 'Fit for case study' essay.

I got a couple of business cards.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 215 [0]
Given Kudos: 4
Concentration: Investment Management
Schools:CBS, Cornell, Duke, Ross, Darden
Send PM
How we coming along with the essays? I know that there was some chatter a little while back regarding the case study, but I think relatively speaking, that is BY FAR the easiest of the three.

I'm having trouble with the pivotal choices essay on a couple levels. If the choice was say, more than a year ago (or two at the most), how could I possibly use that as a pivotal choice? Wouldn't I haven't gotten an MBA sooner (if it was such a pivotal choice)? Or if I had an interest that caused me to choose my goals when I was 15 or 16, how can I spin that as a pivotal choice for an MBA. Wouldn’t I have made decisions sooner in my life to draw me towards that interest (assuming I haven’t already done so)?

Also, the 2nd essay seems darn near impossible to tell the story in a manner that has substance and sufficient background, while describing how you learned the most. I'm having trouble telling the story in less than 200 words, at least in its current rendition). If I cut the wordcount, it seems to lose the importance of the event.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
ryguy904 wrote:
How we coming along with the essays? I know that there was some chatter a little while back regarding the case study, but I think relatively speaking, that is BY FAR the easiest of the three.

I'm having trouble with the pivotal choices essay on a couple levels. If the choice was say, more than a year ago (or two at the most), how could I possibly use that as a pivotal choice? Wouldn't I haven't gotten an MBA sooner (if it was such a pivotal choice)? Or if I had an interest that caused me to choose my goals when I was 15 or 16, how can I spin that as a pivotal choice for an MBA. Wouldn’t I have made decisions sooner in my life to draw me towards that interest (assuming I haven’t already done so)?

Also, the 2nd essay seems darn near impossible to tell the story in a manner that has substance and sufficient background, while describing how you learned the most. I'm having trouble telling the story in less than 200 words, at least in its current rendition). If I cut the wordcount, it seems to lose the importance of the event.

Clearly, that's part of the challenge. Few of us would have trouble writing expansive purple prose about the time we failed but ultimately succeeded and grew from the experience. Getting your point across in three paragraphs is a lot harder, but a good test of how you can produce a wealth of information with an economy of words.

Without giving too much away (we're supposed to be unique applicants...right?), I'll touch briefly on how I addressed "pivotal choices." I started broad and early, then came to recent and pointed. They were all pivotal choices; without the former, the latter choice would not even be an option.

Also, I'm fairly sure you get 250 words for the secondary essays. Maybe that helps?
GMAT Club Bot
   1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11  ...  35