Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 14:29 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 14:29

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 17 [0]
Concentration: Accounting/Finance
Schools:Simon '11
 Q48  V47
Send PM
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 30 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Concentration: Consulting
 Q49  V42
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 1598 [0]
Send PM
Re: Calling all Tuck Fall 2009 applicants! [#permalink]
I decide to drop Tuck from my list. I just don't have that much time to apply that many schools. I also canceled Houston Reception tomorrow. I am just going to apply Duke and Vanderbilt for their healthcare MBA program.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 193 [0]
Concentration: Consulting, Marketing
Schools:Tuck, Ross (R1), Duke, Tepper, ISB (R2), Kenan Flagler (R2)
 Q49  V38
Send PM
sam77sam7 wrote:
The group I was in was pretty shocked by that low of a number and pressed her a little on it, and she said they really do not expect a much higher number this year in EA. Overall, they expect higher by a bit, but she mentioned she would be surprised if EA was up over 150-170 (I think those were the numbers she mentioned).

~Sam

All these are interesting analysis. But do you think that the adcom member was just trying to encourage people to apply in huge numbers in EA by giving them an incentive. After all, for the school, lower the selectivity and more the applications in EA, the better.
Current Student
 Q49  V42
Send PM
I don't really think so, she seemed extremely candid, and made a point as saying all the tips and insight she gave was "off the record". I believe what she said to be true.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 156 [0]
Given Kudos: 6
Schools:Tuck
Send PM
sam77sam7 wrote:
I don't really think so, she seemed extremely candid, and made a point as saying all the tips and insight she gave was "off the record". I believe what she said to be true.

So you got the impression that your chances are better in the ED round than say R1?

I'm curious exactly how they decide how many to accept in each round. My impression was that they filled ~45% of spots in in R1 and R2 each. The last 10% or so went to R3.

So where does the ED round fit in? Do they fill "x" number of spots in ED?

Does an app in ED have a better chance of being accepted than the same app in R1?

I've heard it argued that applying earlier doesn't necessarily improve your chances because the schools thinks "well, we can always wait and see who applies in R1 or R2".

Then again I've heard earlier is better because they have less to compare you too.

RF
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 291 [0]
Concentration: Investment Banking
Schools:Chicago (dinged), Tuck (November), Columbia (RD)
Send PM
refurb wrote:
sam77sam7 wrote:

So you got the impression that your chances are better in the ED round than say R1?

I'm curious exactly how they decide how many to accept in each round. My impression was that they filled ~45% of spots in in R1 and R2 each. The last 10% or so went to R3.

So where does the ED round fit in? Do they fill "x" number of spots in ED?

Does an app in ED have a better chance of being accepted than the same app in R1?

I've heard it argued that applying earlier doesn't necessarily improve your chances because the schools thinks "well, we can always wait and see who applies in R1 or R2".

Then again I've heard earlier is better because they have less to compare you too.

RF

10% of spots in EA = 24 spots. Considering a yield of 50%, that's 48 acceptances out of a pool of 150-160 for an acceptance rate close to 33%.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Send PM
My consultant, who was a Tuck Adcom said that back then they won't admit a specific number each round. They have a mandate for equal selectivity for all rounds. Especially for a big year like this, they will almost certainly wait till later instead of admitting borderline applicants.
In other words, EA is essentially just another name for R1. Don't treat it as Columbia ED, they are completely different.

Now that was 2006 when he worked there, so things may have changed.
Current Student
 Q49  V42
Send PM
She implied that you have a better shot in EA. When asked by some guy there, "If I were to submit an app in EA, and then the exact same app in Round 1, which would you be more likely to accept?" and she said, "EA Certainly."

Obviously, there are no two apps that are exactly the same so it isn't a completely realistic situation, but I think she implies that they put significant weight on the EA Round.

And why not? It likely means that the applicant really wants to come to Tuck!

~Sam
Intern
Intern
Send PM
I just called and asked my consultant for his opinion. He still insists EA is just like R1 in other schools.
As for "better chance in EA", he said if you consider yourself a strong applicant, go for the EA, because you avoid the risk of them running out of space for your demographic group (e.g. too many IT male).
But if you consider yourself borderline, do R1, because the adcom has the luxury of aggressively wait-list people in the early round.

The only time you should definitely do EA is when you are like me, who is a re-app.
Again this is just his, and now my opinion. It may not be the truth.

Hope this helps. Good luck!
Current Student
Given Kudos: 29
Concentration: Brand
Schools:Cornell '11
 Q47  V40
Send PM
Submitted! Damn it feels good to be a gangsta.
Current Student
Send PM
sam77sam7 wrote:
She implied that you have a better shot in EA. When asked by some guy there, "If I were to submit an app in EA, and then the exact same app in Round 1, which would you be more likely to accept?" and she said, "EA Certainly."

Wow! Considering that is coming from the horse's mouth, it's pretty undeniable proof.

RF
Intern
Intern
Send PM
refurb wrote:
sam77sam7 wrote:

Wow! Considering that is coming from the horse's mouth, it's pretty undeniable proof.

RF

These are the same people who say campus visit is not a factor for admission. I don't believe it at all 8-)
The fact that Adcom always want people to apply earlier (so that they have more control on the pool) makes this a biased comment.

Stick to your own schedule, apply when you are ready!
Current Student
 Q49  V42
Send PM
kidmann wrote:
These are the same people who say campus visit is not a factor for admission. I don't believe it at all 8-)
The fact that Adcom always want people to apply earlier (so that they have more control on the pool) makes this a biased comment.

I think most schools say that, except that I believe Tuck AdComs have stated many times that they put emphasis on people who visit, that is shows the commitment to Tuck they want.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
sam77sam7 wrote:
I think most schools say that, except that I believe Tuck AdComs have stated many times that they put emphasis on people who visit, that is shows the commitment to Tuck they want.

Someone asked that in the reception I went to, the AdCom (Kristine something) specifically said that if you do an Adcom-initiated interview, you will NOT be disadvantaged. But she did say "we encourage you to visit the school...etc" :wink:

all I am trying to say is that don't take the Adcom's words too seriously. :P
Current Student
 Q49  V42
Send PM
kidmann wrote:
sam77sam7 wrote:
all I am trying to say is that don't take the Adcom's words too seriously. :P

Oh, I agree. Most talk is just "AdCom Speak" but I do think they put some weight on it. No evidence to support how much though.

~Sam
Current Student
Send PM
terp06 wrote:
10% of spots in EA = 24 spots. Considering a yield of 50%, that's 48 acceptances out of a pool of 150-160 for an acceptance rate close to 33%.

Where did you get the 10% of spots from?

I just can't see Tuck lowering their standards just because you apply early. I guess if you are right on the borderline, it might help, but in those cases, there are so many other factors (which adcom read your app?) that it doesn't seem like it would make that big of a difference.

RF
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 291 [0]
Concentration: Investment Banking
Schools:Chicago (dinged), Tuck (November), Columbia (RD)
Send PM
Woops, I think I misread your post. Sorry.
Current Student
Send PM
terp06 wrote:
Woops, I think I misread your post. Sorry.

That's fine. I just thought you might have some inside knowledge! :wink:

I assume that each school has a target for how many admits they give during each round. But I also assume it's pretty flexible depending on the quality of the apps.

RF
GMAT Club Bot
   1  ...  8   9   10   11   12   13   14  ...  37