Last visit was: 23 Apr 2024, 21:03 It is currently 23 Apr 2024, 21:03

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 698 [0]
Given Kudos: 14
Concentration: Technology, Entrepreneurship, Digital Media & Entertainment
Schools:UC Berkeley Haas School of Business MBA 2010
 Q51  V41
GPA: 3.9 - undergrad 3.6 - grad-EE
WE 1: Social Gaming
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 291 [0]
Concentration: Investment Banking
Schools:Chicago (dinged), Tuck (November), Columbia (RD)
Send PM
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
 Q51  V41
Send PM
Re: Calling all Berkeley-Haas Fall 2009 Applicants [#permalink]
to Hayeck: I'm not sure what the application looks like (haven't looked at it in a year), but I think it'll either allow you to enter your GPA from your school (the admissions committee is VERY good at converting scores, especially from France, since many have applied from there), or you can give them a call or email and ask how you should convert it.

There are quite a few Western Europeans in my class. I'm pretty good friends with two of the French guys, there are a few Italians, many Spanish, a couple Germans, and a few Brits. We also have two Portugese people too.

to terp06: Haas votes on the Grade Non-Disclosure every year and so far it's passed (as in NO disclosure) every year. Last year I heard it passed at a 97% rate, yikes! :shock:
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 18 [0]
Send PM
So I've read that Haas looks very favorably upon applicants who come to visit. Since I'll be in the SF Bay area later on this week/next, I figure I'll stop by. Does anyone know if you register with the school/admissions dept when you come to an info session? It says reservations aren't required, which makes it sound pretty informal.

My first time in Berkeley - third time on the West Coast at all, in fact. Any must-dos?
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
 Q51  V41
Send PM
Ntang wrote:
So I've read that Haas looks very favorably upon applicants who come to visit. Since I'll be in the SF Bay area later on this week/next, I figure I'll stop by. Does anyone know if you register with the school/admissions dept when you come to an info session? It says reservations aren't required, which makes it sound pretty informal.

My first time in Berkeley - third time on the West Coast at all, in fact. Any must-dos?

Infosessions are completely on a walk-in basis. You don't need to register for that. I strongly recommend you sign up for a class visit and lunch with students. If you're coming later this week/early next, try to sign up for the Economics class, or the Tuesday/Thursday Organizational Behaviour classes. Do not sign up for Data and Decisions unless you love statistics and multiple regression!

The average visit schedule goes like this:

Morning class 9-11am
Lunch with students noon-1pm
Infosession 1-2pm

OR

Lunch with students noon - 1pm
infosession 1-2pm
Class 2-4pm

Go check out the Berkeley clock tower (the Campanilie) between 10a-4pm, you get a great view of the entire East Bay and SF.

Definitely go to San Francisco and check out Golden Gate Bridge, Fisherman's Wharf/Pier 39, Union Square, and other sights. If you have more time, there's good hiking north of San Franciscio or Monterey/Carmel or Big Sur.

Let me know when you're coming (PM me) and maybe we can meet up for a little bit if you have extra questions.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 79 [0]
Given Kudos: 4
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Technology
Schools: Haas '15
GMAT 1: 680 Q47 V37
GPA: 3.6
WE:Engineering (Computer Hardware)
Send PM
Just an FYI, although I'm sure most of you probably received the same e-mail today:

Quote:
The Round 1 application deadline on November 4th is fast approaching. Do you have questions about the Berkeley MBA Program or the application for admission?

Come chat with us!

When: Monday, October 13, 4:00-5:00pm Pacific Time
Where: https://mba.haas.berkeley.edu/chat.html

Online to answer your questions will be Pete Johnson, Director of Admissions, along with admission committee members Stephanie Fujii, Corinne Kang and Kara Hayman.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
 Q51  V41
Send PM
Found our video vault... Jeff Immelt, CEO of GE video is here too:

https://www2.haas.berkeley.edu/Videos/Vi ... ideos.aspx
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
 Q51  V41
Send PM
Hey everyone,

It was great meeting at least three of you who use GMATClub today! Hope you had a good day doing class visits, lunch with yours truly =P, and infosession!

I want to see you all here next Fall, ok? =)

K
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 18 [0]
Send PM
So I'm currently in Berkeley, and met Kryzak at the lunch with students thing this afternoon at Haas. Both school ambassadors were super nice guys, and - for those of you who haven't been yet - Haas is flippin' beautiful. Really, really nice facility set on a gorgeous campus. The lunch was fun and the info session afterwards was really helpful. Learned a lot more about the curriculum and course setup. To be honest, I showed up in Berkeley today not completely sure about Haas, but after my visit today, I'm sold. I love the place.

Funny anecdote. Good information for everyone to know - the place where we ate lunch (the faculty club? Not sure) didn't take credit cards. I totally made an ass of myself, since I pretty much never carry cash. Kryzak came through and covered me, though, and I was able to pay him back later once I hit the ATM in the main Haas building. So that's probably an automatic ding, right? Oh well.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
 Q51  V41
Send PM
Ntang wrote:
Funny anecdote. Good information for everyone to know - the place where we ate lunch (the faculty club? Not sure) didn't take credit cards. I totally made an ass of myself, since I pretty much never carry cash. Kryzak came through and covered me, though, and I was able to pay him back later once I hit the ATM in the main Haas building. So that's probably an automatic ding, right? Oh well.

Hey Ntang,

It was a fun lunch, and the number of visitors today was crazy (I think there were at least 15 at lunch and another 7 more in the infosession!). That was my bad not telling everyone before we left for the Faculty Club that they only took cash, so it was only fair that we spot you. I still need to go pick up the money from the admissions office, good thing you mentioned it here, I almost forgot!

Ntang wrote:
I'm sold. I love the place.

Sweet! I hope I'll see you at one of the future events around here (like Super Saturday or Days at Haas!)

Good luck with all your applications!
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 9 [0]
Send PM
It's quiet in this thread. Anyone applying for RD1?
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
 Q51  V41
Send PM
Deadline is coming up in less than 2 weeks! Good luck y'all!
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 39 [0]
Concentration: Management Consulting, Social Enterprise, Environmental Sustainability, International Business
Schools:Fuqua '11
 Q48  V47
Send PM
I'm in for round 1.

On the social enterprise front, anyone know what the latest deal is with Jim Schorr (the founder of Net Impact and a big part of Haas having the rep in this area that it does), says here

sitemason.vanderbilt.edu/vanderbiltview/articles/2008/09/30/new-faculty-jim-schorr.65324

that he is moving to Vandy (ex-sen bill frist recently took a position there as well). Is he leaving Haas entirely? And if so, who's going to replace him as teacher of the social enterprise course?

Unfortunately I won't be able to visit the campus until the Spring (I'm a peace corps volunteer) but I'm a huge fan of San Francisco. All the things I like about my hometown of Boston(stuff to do, bright people, international blend, politically active) but with better weather.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
 Q51  V41
Send PM
bostonsparky wrote:
sitemason.vanderbilt.edu/vanderbiltview/articles/2008/09/30/new-faculty-jim-schorr.65324

that he is moving to Vandy (ex-sen bill frist recently took a position there as well). Is he leaving Haas entirely? And if so, who's going to replace him as teacher of the social enterprise course?

Unfortunately I won't be able to visit the campus until the Spring (I'm a peace corps volunteer) but I'm a huge fan of San Francisco. All the things I like about my hometown of Boston(stuff to do, bright people, international blend, politically active) but with better weather.

thanks for the link. I'm checking into that for you. I'm sure there are enough top Social Enterprise/Net Impact professors here at Haas that it won't affect us that much. In fact, the Net Impact conference in Philly is coming up and probably 20% of the class is going. :)
Given Kudos:
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, International Business
WE:Supply Chain Management (Energy and Utilities)
At the event tonight they gave us another stat, they received 325 applicants with GMAT scores 750 and above last year and rejected 87% of them.

It made me feel better at least... ;-)

OH and that three people last year had Obama give them recommendations... LOL. I wish my connections could compete with that.

kryzak wrote:
For Archival Purposes:

It has not been posted on the website yet, but I got a handout from school. Here are some vital stats for those of you interested in applying.

So as expected, Acceptance rate dropped to near all time lows, yield has gone up close to 5%, GMAT inched up. GPA *range* went up, even though the average went down.

Surprisingly, 5% more came from consulting, 3% fewer from Financial Services, and 3% more from Banking.

Class of 2010:
Application Received: 3779
Offers of Admission: 442
Entering Class Size: 241
Yield: 54.5% (compared to around 50% last year)
Acceptance Rate: 11.7% (compared to 14% last year)

UG GPA Average: 3.54 (compared to 3.57 last year, I guess we got more stupid :P)
Mid 80% GPA range: 3.30 - 3.87
Avg GMAT: 714
Middle 80% GMAT: 670-760
Countries Rep: 36
Women: 30%
International: 39%
US Minorities: 33% (African, Hispanic, Native, Asian, East Indian/Pakistani Americans)
Median WE: 5 years
Middle 80% WE: 3-8 years
Median Age: 28
Age Range: 24-38

Class of 2009 (last year):
https://mba.haas.berkeley.edu/community_02.html
Applications Received 3,276
Enrolled Students 239
Women 31%
Minority Students 34%
International Students 39%
Countries Represented 34
Median Age 28
Age Range 23-40
Median Years WE 5 years
Average GMAT 710
Range of Middle 80% 660-760
Average UG GPA 3.57
Range of Middle 80% 3.25-3.83
Given Kudos:
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, International Business
WE:Supply Chain Management (Energy and Utilities)
Quick question about recommenders... I was thinking of having a former client of mine be a recommender (because I am wearing out my current two with my previous applications). Do you think this would be alright? Tonight they said a direct supervisor which I will have, and another person in upper management - do you think a client is equal to 'upper management'? I'm a consultant, so technically, he was our person of authority. He's also an executive at a government agency, if that matters at all.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
 Q51  V41
Send PM
jlola21 wrote:
Quick question about recommenders... I was thinking of having a former client of mine be a recommender (because I am wearing out my current two with my previous applications). Do you think this would be alright? Tonight they said a direct supervisor which I will have, and another person in upper management - do you think a client is equal to 'upper management'? I'm a consultant, so technically, he was our person of authority. He's also an executive at a government agency, if that matters at all.

a client would be fine as long as you have worked with the person SIGNIFICANTLY and they can speak to your skills, behavior, enthusiasm, etc... For someone who is a consultant, that would work if your client fits the above criteria. :)

Yeah, Pete Johnson and Stephanie Fujii mentioned that stat to us at our orientation week too. Kinda scary how they rejected so many 750+ people!
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 71 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Schools:Tepper '11
Send PM
jlola21 wrote:
At the event tonight they gave us another stat, they received 325 applicants with GMAT scores 750 and above last year and rejected 87% of them.

So, 13% acceptance rate, huh? At least that's better than the rest of the applicant pool hanging around 10%. (trying to look at this positively)
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Send PM
kryzak,

I'm asking the same question of the admissions office and HSAs at Haas but I thought I'd get your input as well: If I am interested in visiting in the spring sometime do you have a sense of when the ideal time would be? I will definitely visit when students are there, but beyond that, is there anything I should keep in mind other than exams when scheduling my trip out there? Any special weekends when a lot of students are out of town or anything like that? If you tell me that you're focused on the here and now and haven't had a chance to look that far ahead, I'll understand completely.

I was at that info session in NYC Wednesday and was struck by Peter's nugget about 750+ GMATs as well. That's scary stuff that I think I would have preferred not to hear. Onward and upward, I guess! :roll:
GMAT Club Bot
   1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11  ...  32