Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 12:52 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 12:52

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 233 [0]
Given Kudos: 6
Concentration: Finance (Corp Fin, Financial Instruments)
Schools:NYU Stern 2009
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 69 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
 Q48  V39
Send PM
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 332 [0]
Send PM
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 223 [0]
Given Kudos: 22
Concentration: General Management
Schools:NYU Stern '11
Re: Calling all NYU Fall '09 applicants! [#permalink]
So I visited a marketing class at Stern today. I'd sat in on too many finance and accounting classes at other schools, so I thought I'd try marketing out for a change. The class unfortunately would have been a total snoozefest, had it not been for one really awesome presentation by a couple of European second year students. I'm so totally writing about them in my essays!

Other impressions - the Sternies are a cool bunch, no doubt, but now that I've spent some more time with them, I think some take the "down to earth" bit a little too seriously and "down to business" not as seriously. :? Just my highly subjective opinion I guess.

And the "coffee with students" thing didn't seem really well organized, we were basically just given a coupon and told to go down and get something at the Sosnoff Lounge on the first floor. I wish the Admissions Office had actually asked the students who led us into class to hang out with us for a while there. I'm a bit of a wallflower, and the cafe was packed at 3pm! Rather than just try to barge in on conversations, I decided to skip the free coffee and walk around the building for a bit.

I think Cornell does its whole "student lunch" in a much better way, makes the prospectives feel a little more welcome. That or maybe I need to work on my networking skills.

Oh well, I'm still pretty sure I'll be applying R1 so nothing's changed my overall opinion of the place. I hope everyone else will get to visit a class, too.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 12 [0]
Send PM
Quote:
I've heard a thing or two about beer blast. What time does it start and is it well attended or does that vary depending on the time of year?

I would love if a Stern ambassador here would invite me to the Beer Blast. Perhaps we can plan something with all gmatclub applicants?

Unfortunately, I think only current students are able to go... I'll ask around, but they always make us scan our ID's to get in.
VP
VP
Guys, does NYU not give applicants access to the letter of evaluation questionnaire for the recommenders? I wanted to "prep" my recommenders for the NYU application, but it doesn't seem that the form is available on the application website.

Anyone have any insights? Sterny - you seem to be the only here who's submitted already. Did you see this form (or the list of questions) anywhere?

And jsnooky33 - do the Langone students crash Beer Blast, too? I'm actually very curious about this since it seems that for a lot of 2nd year electives (the evening ones), the full-timers share classes with the part-timers. I would ideally want to take all my classes with my immediate peers, so this full-time/part-time in the evening business at least to me seems like it might possibly weaken the "full-time" experience a little bit.

No offense to the Langone folks, however.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 182 [1]
Schools:Wharton
Send PM
Kudos
Here is the recommendation form for mailing in. It's supposed to be the same as the one online so it is safe to assume that you can work using this. This is what I used for prep:

https://w4.stern.nyu.edu/emplibrary/Fall ... nce%20only)%5B1%5D.pdf

Am I really the only person on this board who has applied to Stern already? For some reason that makes me more nervous than before..
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
 Q48  V39
Send PM
solaris1, I'm sorry your experience didn't go so well. Perhaps the difference is that (1) you were in marketing and most of these students already have jobs lined up hence the more "down to earth" compared to "down to business". I'd be willing to bet that (2) all finance/accounting classes at all schools are more "down to business" vs. marketing due to the quantitative nature of the subject matter. "Down to business" is at a peak during your first semester when grades count, especially for finance wannabes and second year when finance people have to beef up their modeling skills w/ Gode.

As for beer blast, all you need to do is show up with $10 and you can get in. If they question you, just say you've heard this is one of the very unique aspects of stern and you wanted to experience it as a prospective student. THEN, go to the flip cup table or walk up to a group of people and tell them you are a prospective student and I'm sure you'll get an earful.

I would love to be a host but recruiting is starting this Monday so I'll have two events every night which go from 4:30 to 9:00 so I probably won't make it. I'm going to assume this is the time when MBA2s go to beer blast since all the MBA1s will have cleared out.

Also, if any of you come for coffee or whatever, let me know and I'll try and meet up with you. I'm usually free Monday/Tuesday during lunch.
VP
VP
Thanks, navy01. The student who accompanied me to that marketing class (and 3underscore) explained that a lot of second years really take it easy this time of the year and so my class experience wasn't quite representative of what typically goes on in the marketing classes. Also, the case being discussed in class "sucked" according to my student guide, so that might have played a role in it as well.

And yes, you're right - there's an inherently different in the way a finance class and a marketing class is run, and in fact that's precisely what I wanted to witness, so I'm sure I went in with very different expectations.

Thanks again for your insight.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 11 [0]
Send PM
The adcom rep at the off campus event told us that there is no advantage in submitting the app on 20th Oct versus 15th Nov. Did he goof up facts on that one?
SVP
SVP
Send PM
sentiment wrote:
The adcom rep at the off campus event told us that there is no advantage in submitting the app on 20th Oct versus 15th Nov. Did he goof up facts on that one?

Probably no difference, except that it's one less thing to worry about.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 17 [0]
 Q49  V41
Send PM
Quote:
As for beer blast, all you need to do is show up with $10 and you can get in. If they question you, just say you've heard this is one of the very unique aspects of stern and you wanted to experience it as a prospective student. THEN, go to the flip cup table or walk up to a group of people and tell them you are a prospective student and I'm sure you'll get an earful.

I would love to be a host but recruiting is starting this Monday so I'll have two events every night which go from 4:30 to 9:00 so I probably won't make it. I'm going to assume this is the time when MBA2s go to beer blast since all the MBA1s will have cleared out.

Just as an FYI, there is no beer blast today. To go to beer blast, just go to Kaufman Management Center, pass the security desk and take the stairs down to the basement. It's $10 all you can drink and they have two different pizza deliveries at 6 and 9. There is wine and beer, drinking games, etc. It's very well attended and it ends at 10 pm after which people either go home or go out to the local bars. I have class on Thursday night which ends at 9 and usually just head downstairs. It's only $5 if you show up for the final hour. It's a great deal to grab a few beers and some pizza for $5.

Cheers and good luck to all of you with your apps.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Send PM
Hello guys - I'm applying R1 as well.

Question about transcripts for the international folks around here.

I have transcripts in Italian and French, but my university also provides the English translated version. Do you think I can use the transcript upload system? Technically both versions (English and Italian/French) are the "original".

Confused about the instructions... and when I called yesterday they weren't very helpful (i.e. no idea).

Thanks in advance
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 155 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Concentration: Strategy, Management, Finance
Schools:Chicago Booth 2011
 Q50  V47
Send PM
I'm visiting NYU on Tuesday, trying to get in touch with MCA members so I can meet them for lunch. Anybody have recommendations for Tuesday 1:15pm classes?
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
 Q48  V39
Send PM
Professor White is very well known and teaches Microeconomics (Firms & Markets) at 1:30. This is a core class so you can see the type of setting core classes are in and the distribution of students. They might have a midterm though.

I have Professor Deo for Statistics. Very dry class but this guy does an extremely good job explaining concepts compared to others. You'd probably find it boring.

There is an Investment Banking class with Froewiss but I know nothing about it. MBA2s probably.

Marketing class in Entertainment & Media sounds cool and is likely a Stern Only type class. MBA2s probably.
VP
VP
In case anyone else is looking for it, here's the Stern recommendation form. Looks pretty straightforward. Thanks, sterny.
Attachments
SVP
SVP
Send PM
solaris1 wrote:
So I visited a marketing class at Stern today. I'd sat in on too many finance and accounting classes at other schools, so I thought I'd try marketing out for a change. The class unfortunately would have been a total snoozefest, had it not been for one really awesome presentation by a couple of European second year students. I'm so totally writing about them in my essays!

Other impressions - the Sternies are a cool bunch, no doubt, but now that I've spent some more time with them, I think some take the "down to earth" bit a little too seriously and "down to business" not as seriously. :? Just my highly subjective opinion I guess.

Not sure whether you read my write-up from my visit last year. But I did notice a few students fall asleep and others fiddling with their iphones throughout the class. I don't think it's a big deal. You get what you want out of the class time and concentrate more on recruiting.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 155 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Concentration: Strategy, Management, Finance
Schools:Chicago Booth 2011
 Q50  V47
Send PM
Does the following only apply to the first page of the essay or every page? If only the first page, then it should probably go in the header section of a Word document.

Label the top of each essay with the following: Name, Date of Birth (Month, Day, Year), Essay Number, and Page Number [ex. Joe Applicant, January 1, 1981, Essay 1, Page 1]

Also, how far back should work history go? Just post-college or are you guys including employment during UG?
SVP
SVP
Send PM
sonibubu wrote:
Does the following only apply to the first page of the essay or every page? If only the first page, then it should probably go in the header section of a Word document.

Label the top of each essay with the following: Name, Date of Birth (Month, Day, Year), Essay Number, and Page Number [ex. Joe Applicant, January 1, 1981, Essay 1, Page 1]

Also, how far back should work history go? Just post-college or are you guys including employment during UG?

I'm certain it's every page. I believe the adcoms print the application to read it.

Post college only, unless significant.
VP
VP
Hmm.

I'm reading "list all positions you have held" to include part-time employment as a student. Every other application I've completed so far has asked for the same.

Moreover, there's very limited scope to talk about these jobs in the "Activities" section because of the 600 character limit. And I want to talk about this work experience because it sort of mirrors my extracurricular interests in college.

kidderek wrote:
Post college only, unless significant.
GMAT Club Bot
   1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11  ...  19