Last visit was: 23 Apr 2024, 21:10 It is currently 23 Apr 2024, 21:10

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 1682 [0]
Given Kudos: 210
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 1682 [1]
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 222 [0]
Send PM
Re: The London Business School 2009 thread [#permalink]
Hi,
I am currently preparing for gmat, and targeting R2 for LBS . My gmat is scheduled for 13 nov and i am still far away from good score. Just registered for gmat challenge and the first m01 is 25/37 :-( I hope by the end of it, i will reach close to 32-33 atleast. For general prep i have kaplan .. but my verbal is not making much progress ... i guess i have to work hard if 13 is the target date.
will let know more once i have the score.

- game
( any help with the essays will be greatly appreciated )
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 1682 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
game - its pretty tough taking the GMAT and writing essays simultaneously. But I suppose you gotta work within with your situation. pm me if you want a second pair of eyes to look at your essays. Also remember that LBS is not a GMAT centric school. Until last year, their median hovered around 690. They focus a lot of diversity and work experiences. If they find you interesting and find your GMAT score low, they may ask you to resit the test (although for that to happen you'd have to hit 600 or under).
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 48 [0]
Given Kudos: 8
Concentration: Finance, Economics
Schools: HKUST MBA - Class of 2014
GMAT 1: 740 Q48 V44
GPA: 3.2
WE:Consulting (Consulting)
Send PM
Once the application is submitted, does it get processed and are there any changes in the status? Mine still says app submitted since last week.

and how do I find out if the school got all my transcripts? I submitted 2 of my transcripts in person, the other one, I sent via mail directly from my school.

So tweedle my thumbs and wait until Nov 14.
SVP
SVP
Send PM
Hey avi long time no see buddy. They give upto 2 weeks from deadline day to receive academic transcripts - although, I'd say best call them direct to confirm.

aviroop wrote:
Once the application is submitted, does it get processed and are there any changes in the status? Mine still says app submitted since last week.

and how do I find out if the school got all my transcripts? I submitted 2 of my transcripts in person, the other one, I sent via mail directly from my school.

Intern
Intern
Send PM
The application status doesn't change throughout the application period. The interview invites, admits, WLs and dings are all reported through email notifications.

Though bsd_lover has suggested you to call them, I think it would be best if you don't. In case they do not have your transcripts (which most likely wont be the case) they would themselves get in touch with you. With hundreds and thousands applicants, it would be difficult for the adcom to confirm the receipt individually to all applicants. In fact I remember reading this somewhere when I had applied last year.

Best of luck for the 14th.

aviroop wrote:

Intern
Intern
Send PM
Hi bsd_lover,

I actually got my deferred admit in July itself. Even at that time, I was adviced by quite a few people to apply to H/S/W but I chose not to since I never even applied to them the first time around. LBS was and is my first choice, so I am just glad I got the deferred admit. Hope things work out for you man. And if they don't, LBS is no ordinary school (and I am sure you know that).

About pre-mba internships - how easy or difficult do you think they are to get. I would love to move to London few months before the session and work. It is indeed a great idea but considering the class of 2010 would be doing their internships the same time around + the financial conditions I wonder if there would be any openings. Let me know your thoughts on this.

Thanks

bsd_lover wrote:
I've apped to 3 other schools, I wasn't counting on the LBS admit (although it was an extremely nice bonus). My initial plan was to app to 5-6 R1 schools, but now I've apped to just 3 R1 schools (only schools that I may realistically pick over LBS). I'll wait for the results of these apps first - which means I'll be in Australia till at least January 2009. Then, I may relocate to London in search of pre-mba internships (depending on the market I suppose). Either ways, no more application essays for me (thank god).

Traveling is another option and I've had some longstanding plans which I've never pursued. But I'll base those on whether I can get a good exchange rate for Australian dollar (which has crashed 30% in the last two weeks :( )
SVP
SVP
Send PM
trump - what are your post MBA aims ? Do you think you could find a job in that industry ? Do you have any existing networks ? The finance sector is really down, hence my chances are not good at the moment. But things may change next year. The good thing for me is that I know a LOT of people in London already, so networking wont be a big issue for me.

Also I spoke to a professor from LBS (this was while I was in waitlist). He suggested coming down and having a look in London and seemed to have a lot of networks. So, it may be beneficial to contact some professors directly in your post mba field.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Well i am a career switcher - want to get into strategic consultancy post MBA. At the moment i am into auditing. So although the industry is some what same since both are part of consultancy the job function is very different.

I do not have a network in London. Yes, I do know few current students and alums of LBS but not in the same industry. It is great that you already have a network in London. Thanks for the idea. I shall get in touch with one of the professors for sure.

That said, do you think it makes sense to do a pre-mba internship (in London) in a field that might not be the field one would like to enter post mba. That ways I would have some work ex in London and the opportunity to start networking before the start of the session. Let me know your thoughts on this.

Thanks
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 298 [0]
Schools:Oxford'10
 Q49  V37
Send PM
aviroop wrote:

Avi,

i read somewhere that LBS finds it very annoying when people call them to confirm to see if they have received transcripts and recommendations etc. They say that if there is a problem they will contact you. So don't worry. Sitback, it's out of your hands now.

-buff
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 48 [0]
Concentration: Finance, Economics
Schools: HKUST MBA - Class of 2014
GMAT 1: 740 Q48 V44
GPA: 3.2
WE:Consulting (Consulting)
Send PM
buff,
Thanks for the tip. Ya, I did not call them, nor do I wish to, since I know that most admissions people operate on the same guidelines - dont harass us, we will let you know if we are missing anything.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [0]
Send PM
Hi all,
another gmatclubber here aspiring for LBS. I made an unplanned job change so have been away for a while.

Applied R1
Nationality : Indian
GAMT : 760 (51,42)
GPA : 75/100
Work ex : 8 yrs (5.5 in U.S.), IT
SVP
SVP
Send PM
good stuff mbavacation. Best of luck. Are you apping anywhere else ?
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 253 [0]
Send PM
bsd_lover,

LBS counts the full time work experience prior to finish the university or not???

thanks...
SVP
SVP
Send PM
paegain, might be easier if you tell us what type of work experience it was. For instance, part time / internship type experience is almost always not considered, but there might be some exceptions.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [0]
Send PM
bsd_lover wrote:
good stuff mbavacation. Best of luck. Are you apping anywhere else ?

Thanks bsd.

I have some visa issues that prohibit me from studying full time in U.S. I will pursue EMBA later from Kellogg or Duke if I do not get into LBS. I look at the brand recognition too and that made me think that any other European b-school than LBS is perhaps not an advantage over EMBA from an UE or Elite in U.S.
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 298 [1]
Schools:Oxford'10
 Q49  V37
Send PM
Kudos
New MBA TV editions out today.

https://mbablog.london.edu/mbablog/mba_tv/

happy watching!!
SVP
SVP
Send PM
+1 buff - is this the first web page you check every morning ?? MBA updates from David and Tamsin :P .. ps I was rolling down in laughter when Tamsin said - Full interview of David on MBA TV UNCUT !!!!
GMAT Club Bot
   1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11  ...  29   
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6917 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts