Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 03:38 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 03:38

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
CEO
CEO
Own Kudos [?]: 515 [0]
Send PM
MBA Admissions Consultant
Own Kudos [?]: 844 [0]
Given Kudos: 92
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Send PM
A little more info [#permalink]
I've been a financial advisor five years (series 7 + insurance license). Own my own franchise. I won 2 quality of advice adwards for providing outstanding advice to clients. I am willing to retake gmat but will that help? I still have a month to study for gmat before round 1 deadlines. Should I consider strengthening my app before applying to top 10 like doing more volunteer work etc? 28 seems to be pushing the age limit though :cry: I really want to go to a top school. Appreciate any suggestions on how to better my chances. PS The schools I chose have graduates that end up with the top positions, the schools just happen to be on the east coast. I would go to Stanford if they would have me. :-D
CEO
CEO
Send PM
[#permalink]
Thanks for the update.

I agree that the schools you mentioned have graduates that end up in top positions. However, if this is your primary selection criterion, then your portfolio is highly underinclusive since schools such as Northwestern and Chicago (among others) are extremely effective at placing students in top positions.

While far from conclusive proof, consider that in one recent year Mckinsey hired a similar number of students from Penn and Northwestern and more students from Chicago than from MIT or Columbia. Further, Merrill Lynch hired more students from Chicago than from either Penn or Columbia.

Have you actively evaluated other elite/transelite schools?
If so, what was your rationale for rejection in each case?

Hjort
Send PM
Re: A little more info [#permalink]
Expert Reply
gfbroke wrote:
I've been a financial advisor five years (series 7 + insurance license). Own my own franchise. I won 2 quality of advice adwards for providing outstanding advice to clients. I am willing to retake gmat but will that help? I still have a month to study for gmat before round 1 deadlines. Should I consider strengthening my app before applying to top 10 like doing more volunteer work etc? 28 seems to be pushing the age limit though :cry: I really want to go to a top school. Appreciate any suggestions on how to better my chances. PS The schools I chose have graduates that end up with the top positions, the schools just happen to be on the east coast. I would go to Stanford if they would have me. :-D

I see Wharton and Columbia as being more likely admits than MIT or Harvard. (or Stanford :) ) Also consider schools like NYU, Chicago, Michigan, Yale, UCLA, and Haas.

I'm concerned that your GPA and GMAT are a little under these schools' averages. The combination is a problem. To be on the safe side, I think you should retake the GMAT, unless this was a higher score than you anticipated. So yes, prepare again for it and retake. If you don't raise your score, then also apply to lower ranked schools, like Georgetown, or Rochester.

A consistent volunteer responsibility would strengthen your app, but don't wait a year to create it and apply. As soon as you complete prep for the GMAT, make a community service commitment, which you will be able to talk about in interviews and write about in wait-list letters, if necessary. You probably will not have much to say about it in your application. If you are rejected, then next time you will have a lot to write about. If you are accepted, well then, look at all the good you will have done.
Good luck!
Intern
Intern
Send PM
[#permalink]
Linda and Hjort,

Thanks you for all your insight. I was hoping to score 700+ on my GMAT that I took on Wed. but alas I didn't. This is why I'm frantically trying to collect as much info as to whether I should keep shooting high and take the Gmat over or I should resign myself to a lower ranking school. However, in my rush to get feedback, I forgot to mention that I mentor a student, which hopefully counts as volunteer work. I am also fluent in Spanish. Because I don't have company sponsorship, and I have a really good job now, I am being picky. One of my friends graduated with an MBA and she can't find a job that will use her for her MBA (she is in the same field)

I looked at other schools that definitely interest me: Yale Cornell NYU Dartmouth are also on my short list. Do I have a better chance at these schools? However, I'm leaning toward international business or I banking. I was hoping to apply to 1st round Wharton, but perhaps I should wait until I retake the GMAT? If I retake the GMAT over and do not score as well, what schools should I look at?

I am open to looking at any school that has good stats at getting their grads a good job that pays well in the fields I am looking at. I don't know if you know where P&G or GE grabs new MBA's but that info would be helpful as well.

I appreciate all the advice as I try to make my mind up quickly. First round deadlines are near :cry:
CEO
CEO
Send PM
[#permalink]
Which specific fields are you considering?

Please note that shooting high and considering lower ranking schools are not mutually exclusive since some of the best domain specific schools have relatively low general reputations. In this sense, a school such as Carnegie Mellon might be a superior choice to an elite school depending on one's exact goals. Likewise, an elite school such as NYU might offer
advantages over some ultraelite schools in specific fields.

Consider for one recent year (not necessarily representative of other years):

NYU placed more students at Merrill Lynch than at least one ultraelite.
NYU placed more students at JP Morgan Chase than at least one ultraelite
NYU placed more students at Goldman Sachs than at least one ultraelite
NYU placed more students at Lehman Brothers than at least one ultraelite

Of course, one should not read too much into such comparisons since different student bodies vary in their demand for certain types of positions and some schools have far more grads than others.

Further, note that a transelite such as UNC placed more students at Lehman Brothers as at least one elite school
Likewise, USC placed more students at Lehman Brothers than at least one elite school

P&G hired students from Duke as well as Purdue, Rochester and Georgetown (among others)
GE hired students from Indiana, Purdue, and Michigan State (among others).

Hjort
Send PM
[#permalink]
Expert Reply
gfbroke wrote:
Linda and Hjort,

Thanks you for all your insight. I was hoping to score 700+ on my GMAT that I took on Wed. but alas I didn't. This is why I'm frantically trying to collect as much info as to whether I should keep shooting high and take the Gmat over or I should resign myself to a lower ranking school. However, in my rush to get feedback, I forgot to mention that I mentor a student, which hopefully counts as volunteer work. I am also fluent in Spanish. Because I don't have company sponsorship, and I have a really good job now, I am being picky. One of my friends graduated with an MBA and she can't find a job that will use her for her MBA (she is in the same field)

I looked at other schools that definitely interest me: Yale Cornell NYU Dartmouth are also on my short list. Do I have a better chance at these schools? However, I'm leaning toward international business or I banking. I was hoping to apply to 1st round Wharton, but perhaps I should wait until I retake the GMAT? If I retake the GMAT over and do not score as well, what schools should I look at?

I am open to looking at any school that has good stats at getting their grads a good job that pays well in the fields I am looking at. I don't know if you know where P&G or GE grabs new MBA's but that info would be helpful as well.

I appreciate all the advice as I try to make my mind up quickly. First round deadlines are near :cry:

Yes. You would be slightly more competitive at Yale Cornell NYU and Dartmouth than at Wharton. That doesn't mean you shouldn't applyto Wharton; it does mean that you can't count on Wharton, but than again, not too many people should. I also urge you to consider Chicago and Michigan.

Thanks for the additional information about your volunteer commitments. Yes it does strengthen your profile.

Good luck!
GMAT Club Bot
[#permalink]