Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 15:36 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 15:36

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 156 [0]
Given Kudos: 6
Schools:Tuck
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 193 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Concentration: Consulting, Marketing
Schools:Tuck, Ross (R1), Duke, Tepper, ISB (R2), Kenan Flagler (R2)
 Q49  V38
Send PM
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 222 [0]
Given Kudos: 31
Concentration: Healthcare, Strategy, MC
Schools:Kellogg '11
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
 Q49  V38
Send PM
Re: Calling all Duke (Fuqua) Fall 2009 applicants! [#permalink]
ac8706 wrote:
rgajare14 wrote:
Are there any applicants here who applied to Tuck as well as Duke ?

For Duke's second essay question, "How will you contribute to the overall experience of your peers?", I am thinking of making use of 95% of Tucks, "Tuck seeks candidates of various backgrounds who can bring new perspectives to our community. How will your unique personal history, values, and/or life experiences contribute to the culture at Tuck?"

Any thoughts on this ? Has anyone done the same ? Just wanted a reassurance that I am doing the right thing

Kellogg also has a similar essay...
For Duke, I'm using part of the Kellogg essay, part of the Tuck essay and then adding in a part that's Duke specific :)

That sounds like a pretty good blend. :-D One advantage in applying to several schools
Current Student
Send PM
rgajare14 wrote:
ac8706 wrote:
rgajare14 wrote:

For Duke's second essay question, "How will you contribute to the overall experience of your peers?", I am thinking of making use of 95% of Tucks, "Tuck seeks candidates of various backgrounds who can bring new perspectives to our community. How will your unique personal history, values, and/or life experiences contribute to the culture at Tuck?"

Any thoughts on this ? Has anyone done the same ? Just wanted a reassurance that I am doing the right thing

Kellogg also has a similar essay...
For Duke, I'm using part of the Kellogg essay, part of the Tuck essay and then adding in a part that's Duke specific :)

That sounds like a pretty good blend. :-D One advantage in applying to several schools

It does help :)

The Duke essay about leaders of consequence though...that's a tricky one and is taking forever!
Current Student
Send PM
rgajare14 wrote:

That's my plan too!

RF
Current Student
Send PM
ac8706 wrote:
The Duke essay about leaders of consequence though...that's a tricky one and is taking forever!

I probably spent 80% of my time on that essay alone. It's so open ended that I think my essay was up to 1400 words at one point!

RF
Current Student
Send PM
refurb wrote:
ac8706 wrote:

I probably spent 80% of my time on that essay alone. It's so open ended that I think my essay was up to 1400 words at one point!

RF

ha! last night (I have no social life with these apps!) my draft was up to 1500 words of absolute drivel. And it didn't even answer the question. ::sigh:: back to the drawing board!
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 31 [0]
Concentration: Finance - Real Estate
Schools:Chicago (R2), Kellogg (R2), Tuck (R1), Darden (R1), Cornell (R1), Texas (R2), Rice (R1)
Send PM
I agree. My Tuck and Duke essays on class contribution are very similar.

And, the LOC essay was by far the toughest essay I have written this application season. In fact, I had to adjust my career goals essay a little to better answer the question.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
 Q49  V38
Send PM
refurb wrote:
rgajare14 wrote:

That's my plan too!

RF

Excellent. That's more than reassuring.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
 Q49  V38
Send PM
ac8706 wrote:
refurb wrote:
ac8706 wrote:

RF

ha! last night (I have no social life with these apps!) my draft was up to 1500 words of absolute drivel. And it didn't even answer the question. ::sigh:: back to the drawing board!

Today I did take a social break. Went to a dinner with some family friends and listened to some beautiful jazz music and tunes of some old Hindi songs on a grand piano. Helped me to deviate my mind. I am at 1380 words on the LOC essay. Tomorrow with full steam expect it to bring it down to 1000. :)
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos:
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, International Business
WE:Supply Chain Management (Energy and Utilities)
ac8706 wrote:
refurb wrote:
ac8706 wrote:

RF

Oof... this essay is brutal. I'm working on it right now :-).
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
 Q49  V38
Send PM
Have you guys copy pasted the essay question in the document that you upload for Duke ? Till now, for all the schools I applied, Tuck and Ross, there was a word limit. For Duke, there is a page limit. So the question of including the essay question arises.
I noticed that the LOC question is quite long - takes up 77 words. When I am struggling and racking my brains to reduce the length of my essay by every single word possible, 77 words is a big deal. If i remove the question, then I am just 2 lines on the third page. But with the question, I have to do a lot of work to fit it in two pages. And plus, I have used 10 font size for the first time. I have always stuck to 11 for other apps. But Duke app says, "not less than 10 font size", so I have taken advantage. :)
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [0]
 Q46  V36
Send PM
rgajare14 wrote:
Have you guys copy pasted the essay question in the document that you upload for Duke ? Till now, for all the schools I applied, Tuck and Ross, there was a word limit. For Duke, there is a page limit. So the question of including the essay question arises.
I noticed that the LOC question is quite long - takes up 77 words. When I am struggling and racking my brains to reduce the length of my essay by every single word possible, 77 words is a big deal. If i remove the question, then I am just 2 lines on the third page. But with the question, I have to do a lot of work to fit it in two pages. And plus, I have used 10 font size for the first time. I have always stuck to 11 for other apps. But Duke app says, "not less than 10 font size", so I have taken advantage. :)

The Adcom guys out at duke know what they are asking for so use the entire page for your answer..
my 2 cents...
Current Student
Send PM
rgajare14 wrote:

I'm putting it in size 8 in the header. Has worked so far for the other essays...
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos:
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, International Business
WE:Supply Chain Management (Energy and Utilities)
deepakp wrote:
rgajare14 wrote:

The Adcom guys out at duke know what they are asking for so use the entire page for your answer..
my 2 cents...

I agree, unless it was stated in the essay requirements, I did not include the essay question in my essays. I figured they know what they are asking for.
Current Student
Send PM
rgajare14 wrote:
Have you guys copy pasted the essay question in the document that you upload for Duke ?

Nope. It didn't specifically ask for it (unlike Michigan), so I wasn't willing to give up the space! :wink:

When you finish your app, it gives you a chance to see the app as the adcom will see it (pdf file). When you upload the essays, the app software actually puts headers on each page. For the first essay it puts "Short Essay 1", then your name and app ID number.

So there shouldn't be a need to put it there yourself.

BTW, look over the pdf file carefully, some of the formatting doesn't transfer well. If you notice, the apps asks you for "part-time work during school" in two different places. But on the pdf, it doesn't really belong in one of the places.

RF
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 138 [0]
Given Kudos: 16
Schools:Duke 2012
Send PM
Does anyone know much about the Health Sector concentration? Are you actually admitted to the Health Sector management program or is the question on the application more of a formality? Could you realistically be admitted to Duke, but not be admitted to the HSM program if you had indicated that preference in the application?
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 233 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Concentration: Social Enterprise
Schools:The Duke MBA, Class of 2009
Send PM
highhopes wrote:
Does anyone know much about the Health Sector concentration? Are you actually admitted to the Health Sector management program or is the question on the application more of a formality? Could you realistically be admitted to Duke, but not be admitted to the HSM program if you had indicated that preference in the application?

You don't apply to HSM - you apply to Duke and then opt in.
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 138 [0]
Given Kudos: 16
Schools:Duke 2012
Send PM
aaudetat wrote:
highhopes wrote:

You don't apply to HSM - you apply to Duke and then opt in.

Ah, okay. Thanks. I couldn't tell for sure from the website.
GMAT Club Bot
   1  ...  10   11   12   13   14   15   16  ...  50