Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 03:20 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 03:20

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 193 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Concentration: Consulting, Marketing
Schools:Tuck, Ross (R1), Duke, Tepper, ISB (R2), Kenan Flagler (R2)
 Q49  V38
Send PM
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 156 [0]
Given Kudos: 6
Schools:Tuck
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [0]
 Q46  V36
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 31 [0]
Concentration: Finance - Real Estate
Schools:Chicago (R2), Kellogg (R2), Tuck (R1), Darden (R1), Cornell (R1), Texas (R2), Rice (R1)
Send PM
Re: Calling all Duke (Fuqua) Fall 2009 applicants! [#permalink]
refurb wrote:
rgajare14 wrote:
Yeah..I just noticed what you are saying about the Essay no and app Id on every page of the pdf. Anyhow, I had included the question in Tuck and Ross apps, since there the limitation was based on words and not no. of pages.

Same here. Ross specifically asks you put the question in the documents you upload, but even if they didn't I would include them as, like you said, they doesn't limit you to a certain number of pages.

RF

Hi I quoted Math 2 and Math 3. I am also from VTU!
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
 Q49  V38
Send PM
deepakp wrote:
A query about Duke Apps.

They have a section in the educational information section:

Duke requires completion of at least one college-level calculus course with a 'C' or better prior to enrollment. Have you met this requirement?

Well I am a 2003 passout and my Engg. College is VTU Belgaum affiliated. So what calculus course are these guys talking about? Anybody out there can help me?

Did you study Applied Mathematics during your engineering ?
From my understanding, they want to know whether you have studied -
derivatives, integration and advanced topics related to this.

I studied in Mumbai university. And we had the basics of calculus in the 12th grade itself. Later during Engineering, we had it repeated , but this time it was much more advanced.

Hope that helps.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [0]
Schools:Duke, UCLA, Cornell, Ross,Tuck, Haas
Send PM
rgajare14 wrote:
deepakp wrote:
A query about Duke Apps.

Duke requires completion of at least one college-level calculus course with a 'C' or better prior to enrollment. Have you met this requirement?

Well I am a 2003 passout and my Engg. College is VTU Belgaum affiliated. So what calculus course are these guys talking about? Anybody out there can help me?

I studied in Mumbai university. And we had the basics of calculus in the 12th grade itself. Later during Engineering, we had it repeated , but this time it was much more advanced.

Hope that helps.

Is using DSP course from Masters OK? What do you guys think? DSP was 70% even more calculus.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
 Q49  V38
Send PM
prospect wrote:
rgajare14 wrote:
deepakp wrote:
A query about Duke Apps.

Hope that helps.

Is using DSP course from Masters OK? What do you guys think? DSP was 70% even more calculus.

:-D It has been more than 7 years and my great memory is failing me. What is DSP ? Is it Digital Signal Processing ? Even if DSP had Calculus, I would refrain from using that to refer to a Calculus background, the only reason being the name. Applied Mathematics, Advanced Mathematics, etc tend to be more appealing. Just my two cents.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
 Q49  V38
Send PM
To Refurb and all those who have submitted their Duke app -

Till what detail did you follow the resume format prescribed in Duke App ? The sample resume is 1 pager and I get that they expect a one page resume and not more. But for example

• the sample has a title of "EXPERIENCE" while I am using "WORK EXPERIENCE".
  • The sample has Education first and I have education last.
  • The sample calls "ADDITIONAL INFORMATION" while I call it "COMMUNITY and INTERESTS".

Additionally there is a slight difference in the amount of indentation I use.

What do you guys think ? Should I follow the sample intricately or I can ignore these fine details ? After all, a resume can have some personalization, right ?
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 222 [0]
Given Kudos: 31
Concentration: Healthcare, Strategy, MC
Schools:Kellogg '11
Send PM
rgajare14 wrote:

Till what detail did you follow the resume format prescribed in Duke App ? The sample resume is 1 pager and I get that they expect a one page resume and not more. But for example

• The sample calls "ADDITIONAL INFORMATION" while I call it "COMMUNITY and INTERESTS".

What do you guys think ? Should I follow the sample intricately or I can ignore these fine details ? After all, a resume can have some personalization, right ?

My resume is similar-ish to that - 1 page, has education first and calls the section "Additional Information". I have the same resume for all my schools so I don't have to change it too much. I also am not planning to change the formatting/indentation....my version is v. legible :)
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos:
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, International Business
WE:Supply Chain Management (Energy and Utilities)
Are you guys keeping that profile summary? And the way they put 5 lines for just your contact information - That is a LOT of space!

ac8706 wrote:
rgajare14 wrote:

My resume is similar-ish to that - 1 page, has education first and calls the section "Additional Information". I have the same resume for all my schools so I don't have to change it too much. I also am not planning to change the formatting/indentation....my version is v. legible :)
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 156 [0]
Given Kudos: 6
Schools:Tuck
Send PM
rgajare14 wrote:

I figured it was more of a guideline that a strict format requirement. I just made sure mine was clearly laid out and had the same information.

I left it at that.

RF
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
 Q49  V38
Send PM
Guys. Thanks for your responses. I think I wont get very crazy about it.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
 Q49  V38
Send PM
jlola21 wrote:
Are you guys keeping that profile summary? And the way they put 5 lines for just your contact information - That is a LOT of space!

I totally agree. My name and contact details are wrapped in two lines. I have used pipe separation. Looks decent
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 39 [0]
Concentration: Management Consulting, Social Enterprise, Environmental Sustainability, International Business
Schools:Fuqua '11
 Q48  V47
Send PM
rgajare or anyone else who knows-

where is this 'sample resume' you speak of? Do you have a URL by chance? I've been googling for 'sample duke MBA resume' with little success.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [1]
 Q46  V36
Send PM
Kudos
bostonsparky wrote:

where is this 'sample resume' you speak of? Do you have a URL by chance? I've been googling for 'sample duke MBA resume' with little success.

when you click on the apply now link it will take you a applyyourself url, here once you enter you username and pin you are directed to a page to enter your details. On the left hand side you see a bar, the link to download the sample resume is at the bottom.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 39 [0]
Concentration: Management Consulting, Social Enterprise, Environmental Sustainability, International Business
Schools:Fuqua '11
 Q48  V47
Send PM
deepakp wrote:
bostonsparky wrote:

when you click on the apply now link it will take you a applyyourself url, here once you enter you username and pin you are directed to a page to enter your details. On the left hand side you see a bar, the link to download the sample resume is at the bottom.

found it - thanks deepak!
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 18 [0]
Send PM
Re: the resume format, I am positive that those guys do not care a lick what the headers are titled or what format it's in, as long as it's readable, accessible and easily understandable (like any business resume). I just uploaded my standard resume, with the Objective section rewritten with something about getting into Fuqua.

As for the calculus course, just FYI, I have two friends who have gotten into Fuqua without having previously taken a calculus course in college. They were just requested to satisfactorily complete such a course either in the spring or over the summer before matriculating. So I don't think it's something to freak out about.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 8 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
Any EA applicants here? Has anyone scheduled an interview? or already had one? How are you preparing/prepared?
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 527 [0]
Given Kudos: 15
Concentration: Finance, Entrepreneurship
WE:General Management (Manufacturing)
Send PM
aakashganga wrote:
Any EA applicants here? Has anyone scheduled an interview? or already had one? How are you preparing/prepared?

Ya, I am an EA applicant.... But I am international, So still waiting for that alum interview invite.....Haven't heard from Duke yet.... :?
Anyone who has got the invite????
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 61 [0]
Concentration: Investment Banking or Investment Management
Send PM
Does anyone know how many deferrals duke gave out last year? I remember hearing about them giving out tons of deferrals to late rounders last year because they admitted to many people in the early rounds. Some amount of the class of 2011 is already accounted for, which will further decrease their acceptance rate this year, but I'm not sure how much.
GMAT Club Bot
   1  ...  11   12   13   14   15   16   17  ...  50