Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 12:06 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 12:06

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 156 [0]
Given Kudos: 6
Schools:Tuck
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 156 [0]
Given Kudos: 6
Schools:Tuck
Send PM
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 642 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Concentration: Social Enterprise
Schools:Wharton'11 HBS'12
Send PM
Re: Anyone else's essays getting better? [#permalink]
yes..my HBS essays have gotten much much better..first when I started I was just answering the question, the more i thought about it I began to personalize them more, while answering the question but kind of sneeking personal experiences to relate what i was trying to say..
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 291 [0]
Concentration: Investment Banking
Schools:Chicago (dinged), Tuck (November), Columbia (RD)
Send PM
Let's just say that I regret applying to Chicago first. So, yes.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 222 [0]
Given Kudos: 31
Concentration: Healthcare, Strategy, MC
Schools:Kellogg '11
Send PM
Mine definitely got better as I went on. Not the goals essays (I'd tons of drafts of those!) but the setback/failure ones are waaay better than the first app...
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 223 [0]
Given Kudos: 22
Concentration: General Management
Schools:NYU Stern '11
Same here, my later application essays just flow so much better. I am now a lot more comfortable keeping things well within the word limit too. It just sucks that my first application (and probably weakest in terms of essay quality) was to my top choice school!
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [0]
Concentration: Non-profit, GM
Schools:Ross, Darden, Yale SOM, Wharton, Kellogg (JD/MBA)
 Q44  V44
Send PM
Mine are so much more succinct and forceful now than my first batch (Ross') were. Maybe its a good thing that I lamed out and didn't apply to Chicago and Harvard R1...my apps will be that much better for R2.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [0]
Concentration: Healthcare and Operations
Schools:Michigan
Send PM
I'm hitting burn out stage. If I dont get in, for first round. It'll be hard for me to start over and write some more for second round.

But yes, I'd agree that they do start to get easier. Kinda of like Mad Libs, but sentences instead of just words.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 12 [0]
Send PM
I've hit the burnout phase.

My earlier essays are almost as good as my latest ones, as I went back to them after doing a bunch of other essays
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 17 [0]
Schools:Duke
 Q44  V42
Send PM
So, for those of us applying next year, would everyone definitely recommend that we start writing essays for schools we're less interested in, and save our top choices for the end of Round 1 or Round 2?
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 31 [0]
Given Kudos: 10
Concentration: General Management; High Tech; Entrepreneurship
Schools:Kellogg School of Management
 Q50  V41
Send PM
ElleBee wrote:
So, for those of us applying next year, would everyone definitely recommend that we start writing essays for schools we're less interested in, and save our top choices for the end of Round 1 or Round 2?

It really depends on your burnout rate. I filed 4 applications.

1st may have some glitches but I had a lot of motivation and creativity so i am really happy with it. Second was great because I could use stuff I've writter and tightened up. Third and fourth - still tightening up, but I lost some of the energy. Now working on fifth - It's hard to get it rolling.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 12 [0]
Send PM
ElleBee wrote:

Yeah either do that, ordo the essays for the school whose deadline comes first.

Then do essays for other schools and before submitting the 1st schools' essays, revise them with what you learned from the subsequent essays. Hope I'm making some sense here.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 37 [0]
Concentration: CPG Marketing
Schools:R1: HBS(A), Kellogg(A), Michigan(A), Duke(A), Wharton(D)
 Q47  V41
Send PM
solaris1 wrote:
Same here, my later application essays just flow so much better. I am now a lot more comfortable keeping things well within the word limit too. It just sucks that my first application (and probably weakest in terms of essay quality) was to my top choice school!

Same here! My #1 school was my first set of essays.

If I did it again, I would put my top school at #3. I seemed to really hit my stride on #3 and it's tapered off since then.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 17 [0]
Schools:Duke
 Q44  V42
Send PM
fooFighter wrote:
ElleBee wrote:

Yeah either do that, ordo the essays for the school whose deadline comes first.

Then do essays for other schools and before submitting the 1st schools' essays, revise them with what you learned from the subsequent essays. Hope I'm making some sense here.

It makes sense to me. Thanks so much...sounds like good advice. I probably would have worked on my first choice first and it's good to know that I should rethink that strategy a bit.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 368 [0]
Given Kudos: 4
Schools:Oxford
 Q49  V42
Send PM
I've finished only two apps, but I would say that the essays on the second one weren't better. The opposite is true, in fact. However, those for the first one weren't great at all, to begin with :)

As for applying to your dream school not as No 1 - I have ambiguous feeling about this. On the one hand, the essays tend to get better with time for the majority of applicants. But on the other hand, if the dream school means a lot to you, you will keep thinking about it all the time, and it could damage your essay writing for the other schools. It was so in my case, and I believe I did the right thing when I started with my first choice school, even though I'm afraid to look at those essays now (I did once and immediately found a mistake there :oops: )
GMAT Club Bot