Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 06:16 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 06:16

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 11 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 233 [0]
Given Kudos: 6
Concentration: Finance (Corp Fin, Financial Instruments)
Schools:NYU Stern 2009
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [0]
Concentration: Non-profit, GM
Schools:Ross, Darden, Yale SOM, Wharton, Kellogg (JD/MBA)
 Q44  V44
Send PM
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 155 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Concentration: Strategy, Management, Finance
Schools:Chicago Booth 2011
 Q50  V47
Send PM
Re: Calling all NYU Fall '09 applicants! [#permalink]
Just curious, do you guys think it's OK to write an essay for Essay #3 but also insert pictures into the document. Or is words-only the safest way to go?
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 223 [0]
Given Kudos: 22
Concentration: General Management
Schools:NYU Stern '11
I think a lot of folks do a traditional essay with images, sonibubu. So if you think images would give your essay a bit more "oomph" - by all means go for it. It's been done before.

Now to go back to thinking about Essay 2(b)... :?
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Schools:Cornell '11
Send PM
Question for everyone....with short-term aims to get into MC, do you think this would be looked upon as a bad "fit" for NYU if I write about those goals in my essay? Should I instead try to create a story about wanting to get into finance instead (in reality, I very well may change my mind and start in finance) to show better fit?
VP
VP
Whatever makes for a more compelling "Why MBA?" argument, glettian. There's obviously several folks at Stern who have no intentions of going into finance, and yet fit in perfectly well into the NYU community and enjoy the academic experience.

In fact, I hope to be one of them myself.

glettian wrote:
Question for everyone....with short-term aims to get into MC, do you think this would be looked upon as a bad "fit" for NYU if I write about those goals in my essay? Should I instead try to create a story about wanting to get into finance instead (in reality, I very well may change my mind and start in finance) to show better fit?
Current Student
Schools:Cornell '11
Send PM
Thanks Solaris!

Another question for anyone...I know this has probably been rehashed endlessly in other threads, but for Stern specifically, anyone have insight into how they view word limits? I'm about 50 words overboard on essay #1 (with a 750-limit), and would hate to have to take out anything.
VP
VP
Well, they clearly say "750 words maximum" as opposed to making it a "recommended" or "suggested" word limit, so I would try to bring down that word count a bit.

glettian wrote:
Thanks Solaris!

Another question for anyone...I know this has probably been rehashed endlessly in other threads, but for Stern specifically, anyone have insight into how they view word limits? I'm about 50 words overboard on essay #1 (with a 750-limit), and would hate to have to take out anything.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 12 [0]
Send PM
glettian wrote:

I wrote about pursing MC, but am now full-fledged into Investment Banking. If you are undecided, go with what makes the best case for why Stern and why a MBA.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [0]
Concentration: Non-profit, GM
Schools:Ross, Darden, Yale SOM, Wharton, Kellogg (JD/MBA)
 Q44  V44
Send PM
So I went on a tour of Stern this afternoon and sat in on a class (Mathematics of Investing). I was really impressed by the school. I just got a really great feeling from all the students that I met there. They all seemed really smart, but in a really approachable and laid-back way. I also got the impression that the career office is really thorough there. The class I sat in on was a straight finance course but the prof. had a good sense of humor. He was an old New Yorker...seemed like he knew his stuff. I enjoyed it.

Though my primary focus right now is on social enterprise, I was really intrigued by their entertainment business concentration. I'm going to have to take a class or two in that if I go there. Anyway, it was a really positive experience and I'm much more motivated now to work on my Stern app.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 71 [0]
Given Kudos: 15
Concentration: Finance, International Business
Schools:Kellogg Class of 2011
I'm strongly considering applying to Stern in R2, and I want to schedule a visit before classes end (12/5 I think). Does anybody have any recommendations for reasonable places to stay and the best day to visit? I assume they don't have classes on Friday and there is a happy hour thing on Thursday...if that is the case, I could fly in on Wednesday evening, visit Thursday and fly back Friday.
Current Student
Send PM
Leverandon wrote:
So I went on a tour of Stern this afternoon and sat in on a class (Mathematics of Investing). I was really impressed by the school. I just got a really great feeling from all the students that I met there. They all seemed really smart, but in a really approachable and laid-back way. I also got the impression that the career office is really thorough there. The class I sat in on was a straight finance course but the prof. had a good sense of humor. He was an old New Yorker...seemed like he knew his stuff. I enjoyed it.

Though my primary focus right now is on social enterprise, I was really intrigued by their entertainment business concentration. I'm going to have to take a class or two in that if I go there. Anyway, it was a really positive experience and I'm much more motivated now to work on my Stern app.

Ha! I met Lerverandon! Without knowing he was even here!
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [0]
Concentration: Bus. Strategy, Entrep.
Schools:Haas, Booth-PT
Send PM
Hi All,

I am going to Stern on 11/11. Anybody else going that day...

was curious if any ambassador is available to host or meet for a coffee/chat? I will be reaching around 12:15 on campus (flying from Chicago)....

Thanks
Current Student
Send PM
Hmm. Tuesdays aren't my day. Monday & Wednesday are my big days for doing the prospective stuff (plus Friday). I might be about, but... well... I can't really work out my schedule right now.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 155 [0]
Concentration: Strategy, Management, Finance
Schools:Chicago Booth 2011
 Q50  V47
Send PM
Does anyone know if NYU allows a buffer for recommenders to submit their recs, or are they due strictly at the due time?
VP
VP
Can't think they would say they'll move you to R2 if you submit your R1 application on time and the recommendations come in a day or two later. But you should probably let them know in advance if you anticipate this happening.

sonibubu wrote:
Does anyone know if NYU allows a buffer for recommenders to submit their recs, or are they due strictly at the due time?
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Hi 3underscore,

Thanks for your response. I will look forward for your further response. However, can you put me in touch with someone who would be there on TUE?

Thanks
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Did anyone figure out a nice way to list the "activities" and "achievements" section in the application form? No matter how I format it in the box, it always show up as one massive line in the preview.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
What is degree conferred date:

1. Date you became the candiate for degree or
2. date you actually recieved your degree?
GMAT Club Bot
   1  ...  4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11  ...  19