Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 14:12 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 14:12

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos:
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, International Business
WE:Supply Chain Management (Energy and Utilities)
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Concentration: Healthcare and Operations
Schools:Michigan
Send PM
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 291 [0]
Concentration: Investment Banking
Schools:Chicago (dinged), Tuck (November), Columbia (RD)
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Send PM
Re: Your Plan B [#permalink]
terp06 wrote:
It's scary to even think about it. I'd most likely continue working (either in my current job or in a new one) for 1-2 more years and re-apply. I'd re-apply in 1 year if I stay with my current job (4 years of WE, 26 at matric), or in 2 years if I take a new one (5 years of WE, 27 at matric).

I have a very similar Plan B to you (and we are the same ages), although in this economy I'm not sure how easy it would be for me to find a job at a new company.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 156 [0]
Given Kudos: 6
Schools:Tuck
Send PM
terp06 wrote:
It's scary to even think about it.

Very scary!!

I'm getting really old for a full-time MBA student (33 at matriculation for 2009).

If I don't get into any schools this year, I'll probably give it one more shot. Hopefully I'd be able to get some decent feedback from my dings. If I'm close on the top ranked schools, I'll probably work on my weaknesses (ECs mainly) then apply to 1 or 2 schools next year (Tuck or Wharton).

If I don't get in on my second try? Join the French Foreign Legion!! :m16

RF
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 291 [0]
Concentration: Investment Banking
Schools:Chicago (dinged), Tuck (November), Columbia (RD)
Send PM
Meowzilla wrote:
terp06 wrote:
It's scary to even think about it. I'd most likely continue working (either in my current job or in a new one) for 1-2 more years and re-apply. I'd re-apply in 1 year if I stay with my current job (4 years of WE, 26 at matric), or in 2 years if I take a new one (5 years of WE, 27 at matric).

I have a very similar Plan B to you (and we are the same ages), although in this economy I'm not sure how easy it would be for me to find a job at a new company.

That's my #1 worry, as well.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 408 [0]
Given Kudos: 34
Concentration: Sustainable Development
Schools:Ross '12 (MBA/MS)
 Q49  V45
Send PM
I'd reapply but to a slightly different set of schools, all in R1. If that doesn't work then I'll probably just continue working and then consider some part-time programs a few years down the road.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 70 [0]
Given Kudos: 3
Concentration: Entrepreneurship
Schools:HBS Class of 2011
Send PM
I think I am going to reapply to a much wider set of schools next year all in R1. I hope it doesn't come to that!
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 31 [0]
Given Kudos: 10
Concentration: General Management; High Tech; Entrepreneurship
Schools:Kellogg School of Management
 Q50  V41
Send PM
If I don't get in I will continue what I was doing before. work as a lawyer to make a living and spend all my free time developing my own ventures. (By the way, launching one we've been working on for two years in a few days - great day to occupy yourself while waiting for results!)
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 120 [0]
Given Kudos: 14
Schools:Wharton Class of 2011
 Q48  V41
Send PM
I expect that question, it is some kind of classic. I will continue with the CFA program, probably switch the job and get married :)
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 64 [0]
Given Kudos: 28
Concentration: General Management
Schools:Harvard '11
Send PM
peace corps maybe.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 16 [0]
Schools:Georgetown '11
Send PM
Get feedback, take classes to work on alternative transcript, try again next year.
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 223 [0]
Given Kudos: 22
Concentration: General Management
Schools:NYU Stern '11
I will take some time off and reapply to the same 4 schools I'm applying to this year. And if that doesn't work out either, then it's time to move on and do other things. I'm not getting any younger [oh no, the QLC rears its ugly head again ].
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 9 [0]
Schools:Ross '11
Send PM
I'm in the second year of what I looked at as a 2 year application window. Last year I applied to some reach schools and was waitlisted at my top choice (all in round 2). I had the luxury of being able to come back to my current job when I didn't get off the waitlist. I re-applied in round 1 to my top choice as well as two other programs after a lot research over the past 9 months. I will also be applying to a safety in round 2.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [0]
Schools:MIT Sloan
 Q41  V46
Send PM
Brrrr! This is a scary post! Of course 'what's next' is constantly lingering at the back of my mind, though it's still early yet.

Given the employment market, I may just stay on in my job to continue building my resume, which isn't a bad thing since I just got promoted recently. Hopefully I'll be able to get feedback on dings, and work on my possible weaknesses (GMAT and alternative transcript) and by next year I'll have more compelling material to tap on for essays...
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 155 [0]
Given Kudos: 9
Concentration: Finance
Schools:Kellogg Class of 2011
 Q48  V39
Send PM
Go to Law School!!! Haha, NOT!!!

J/k, not meant to offend anyone.

I'll probably try and find a corp dev/strategy consulting/boutique investment banking job in SoCal. May have to start at the bottom or it may not even be possible, but I may find the right opportunity.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 36 [0]
Given Kudos: 11
Send PM
I would win the lottery or join the WSOP =)

I said I would probably stay on at my company and work my way up to a CxO level.
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 138 [0]
Given Kudos: 16
Schools:Duke 2012
Send PM
Cry...then cry some more. Realistically, I can't see not getting into my safety school so I'm hoping not to need a plan B. If I don't I have no idea what I'll do. I can't really stay at my current job, maybe I'll move back in with the folks :-D (kidding of course).
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 18 [0]
Send PM
Getting an MBA is really not the end-all, be-all goal for me as it is for others in different fields... it would be cool, but if I don't get into a really hot school, or at least one that offers me some decent money, I'll just take another overseas posting with another organization. (Just returned from another South Sudan trip last week.) Awesome money and as cool an experience as B-school.
GMAT Club Bot