Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 01:49 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 01:49

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [1]
Given Kudos: 0
Concentration: Entrepreneurship
Schools:Columbia, Duke
 Q47  V35
Send PM
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 291 [0]
Concentration: Investment Banking
Schools:Chicago (dinged), Tuck (November), Columbia (RD)
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Send PM
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 39 [0]
Concentration: Management Consulting, Social Enterprise, Environmental Sustainability, International Business
Schools:Fuqua '11
 Q48  V47
Send PM
Re: Admissions Consulting - Worth the money? [#permalink]
Meowzilla wrote:
If you are making tons of money and have little time (aka if you are an investment banker in the year 2007) then I can see how they would be useful. But if you have access to a forum like this one and do your research I don't think you need one.

my thoughts exactly. Get your friends (preferably ones that know you but not THAT well) to proofread your essays, most will be happy to in exchange for a beer or 2. The only other case I could think of where it'd be worth it would be if English is not your first language and you could use some serious help / direction to write some good essays. Which would, even then, only get you as far as the interview. You're going to have to go it alone eventually.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 31 [1]
Given Kudos: 10
Concentration: General Management; High Tech; Entrepreneurship
Schools:Kellogg School of Management
 Q50  V41
Send PM
Kudos
I have a different opinion.

If you expect someone to write your essay for you or prepare your application, than Admission Consultants are probably not going to solve your problem.

If, on the other hand you do not have someone who is candid, will critique your work honestly and will put in the hours necessary to read and re-read; or you are applying to schools where you cannot afford to make a mistake (because you are a stretch applicant), I think having an admission consultant help can definitely be worth the money.

At the end of the day, you can read through these forums day and night, but you will never know the business as well as a professional. Having someone who has been a member of the admissions committee in a leading school on your side will keep you "coloring inside the lines".

You are going to be spending a LOT of money on the MBA process. If you feel you need the support, I would check which one is most recommended and try him/her out for one school.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 12 [0]
Send PM
Depends how prepared you are.

The GMAT club will help you a long way, coupled with self research, should typically be enough.
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 1682 [2]
Given Kudos: 210
Send PM
Kudos
Great counter opinion Gil +1
Gil wrote:
I have a different opinion.

If you expect someone to write your essay for you or prepare your application, than Admission Consultants are probably not going to solve your problem.

If, on the other hand you do not have someone who is candid, will critique your work honestly and will put in the hours necessary to read and re-read; or you are applying to schools where you cannot afford to make a mistake (because you are a stretch applicant), I think having an admission consultant help can definitely be worth the money.

At the end of the day, you can read through these forums day and night, but you will never know the business as well as a professional. Having someone who has been a member of the admissions committee in a leading school on your side will keep you "coloring inside the lines".

You are going to be spending a LOT of money on the MBA process. If you feel you need the support, I would check which one is most recommended and try him/her out for one school.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 31 [1]
Given Kudos: 10
Concentration: General Management; High Tech; Entrepreneurship
Schools:Kellogg School of Management
 Q50  V41
Send PM
Kudos

I think part of the problem for some applicants is that, being very talented people who have been at the top at most of the things they've done, they naturally assume that they are also good writers.

Unfortunately, that is not always the case - especially when we are granted very limited space and need to answer complicated, structured questions. Think of how much information you have to condense into some of the tougher questions (HBS' 3 accomplishment question in 600 words comes to mind). You need to make every word count and you need to avoid run on sentences or anything that is not related to the question.

I used to be a professional writer (working as a reporter and editor). When I sent my answers to my brother who has an MBA from Chicago GSB, he sent them back to me completely crossed out. It took me several angry days of denial to realize he was right - I was way off. I didn't answer the question - I answered what I wanted to write. He kept harrassing me until the essay answered the question completely.

If you don't have someone like that in your life, I would definitely consider using the services of an expert. You will when you are CEO of a company and need expertise in a certain field. So why not now?
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 16 [0]
Schools:Georgetown '11
Send PM
I think there's also a risk to using people you have personal relationships with. My girlfriend, for example, won't read my essays because she can't handle the pressure. She's afraid she'll mess up my life if she tells me to make the wrong changes. I think having a professional is good because professional relationships make criticism a bit easier in a lot of cases. Some of the questions are really difficult or personal and when you feel attached to some part of it and then someone wants you to change it it can put some tension in a relationship.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 30 [0]
Concentration: Consulting
 Q49  V42
Send PM
I think consultants can be very helpful - if you are willing to put the work in as well.

I worked with Dan from MBAExchange, and found his service to be extremely valuable. He provided very good edits to my essays, and helped me position my candidacy (a bit atypical) in a good light. Now, the real value will be determined if I get accepted, but I certainly think I put the right foot forward.

PM me if you have any specific questions.

~Sam
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 18 [0]
Schools:Darden, Stern, CBS, Johnson, Fuqua
Send PM
Sleepy wrote:
I think there's also a risk to using people you have personal relationships with. My girlfriend, for example, won't read my essays because she can't handle the pressure. She's afraid she'll mess up my life if she tells me to make the wrong changes. I think having a professional is good because professional relationships make criticism a bit easier in a lot of cases. Some of the questions are really difficult or personal and when you feel attached to some part of it and then someone wants you to change it it can put some tension in a relationship.

Could not agree more! My GF read one of my essays, didn't like it and suggested I rewrite it on a different topic. Needless to say, I was NOT a happy camper. If I had gotten that advice from a professional, I wouldn't have been happy, but I would have been less reluctant to accept the critique.

I also worked with a professional on my first application. I really just wanted to make sure I was on the right track for my essays. She was extremely nice and knowledgeable. Don't get me wrong, it was expensive, but it was worth it to me to know that my essay was approved by someone who had a lot more experience with this process than me.

If anyone is looking for a recommendation, PM me.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Schools:HBS '11
 Q50  V46
Send PM
LeftOut wrote:
Sleepy wrote:

Could not agree more! My GF read one of my essays, didn't like it and suggested I rewrite it on a different topic. Needless to say, I was NOT a happy camper. If I had gotten that advice from a professional, I wouldn't have been happy, but I would have been less reluctant to accept the critique.

I also worked with a professional on my first application. I really just wanted to make sure I was on the right track for my essays. She was extremely nice and knowledgeable. Don't get me wrong, it was expensive, but it was worth it to me to know that my essay was approved by someone who had a lot more experience with this process than me.

If anyone is looking for a recommendation, PM me.

I agree, a professional can definitely add value to your essays that a friend/relative cannot. They can provide perspective as someone who doesn't know you (just like an adcom will not) and as someone who knows the admissions process. I actually had the opposite problem where my wife loved everything about my essays even in 1st drafts...
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 156 [0]
Given Kudos: 6
Schools:Tuck
Send PM
I think that if someone doesn't have access to someone familiar with b-schools essays to review their essays, or doesn't feel confident in their writing abilities, a consultant is probably worth the money, at least for the first set of essays.

I put together a set of essays for my first school, then sent it to my friend who got accepted at a top 10 school and he tore my essays apart. Looking back, I can honestly say they were absolute crap. Nice essays to read, but sorely lacking in the kind of information b-schools look for.

RF
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [0]
Concentration: Entrepreneurship
Schools:Columbia, Duke
 Q47  V35
Send PM
Very useful information, thanks all!

For those who hired a consultant, what type of service did you use - I noticed they have different packages (hourly, two-schools, three-schools, etc.) and which one you find most helpful?
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 33 [2]
Given Kudos: 4
Send PM
Kudos
refurb wrote:
I think that if someone doesn't have access to someone familiar with b-schools essays to review their essays, or doesn't feel confident in their writing abilities, a consultant is probably worth the money, at least for the first set of essays.

I put together a set of essays for my first school, then sent it to my friend who got accepted at a top 10 school and he tore my essays apart. Looking back, I can honestly say they were absolute crap. Nice essays to read, but sorely lacking in the kind of information b-schools look for.

RF

If you don't have that buddy with b-school experience to review your apps, check out our website: https://www.MBAvolunteers.org. We're current or former MBAs happy to tear apart your essays (unless they are actually good). Unlike consultants, we only require that you donate to a non-profit.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 131 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Concentration: Finance, Strategy
Send PM
I would think if you don't have anyone with MBA exp to help, and you can afford the consulting fee, go for it. It definite helps (but need to choose the service wisely).
I only have a friend in BBA helping to proofread the essays coz the $$ is substantial for me (need to save for my 2 yrs if I can get thru also since I am not from IB =)), but that all I can afford. Life still goes on as it must be phww
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 18 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Concentration: Finance, Ibanking
Schools:Chicago Booth '11
Send PM
I'd be interested to see the GMAT clubbers success rate with consultants.

For those that used consultants:

% of interview invite
% of acceptance

We won't know until 2009 but it would be interesting to track
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Schools:Kellogg 2011
Send PM
I did one of those free initial consults with one admissions firm a few months back. The response that I received can be at best be described as pitiful. It was poorly written, overly repetitive (they hit 'copy paste' a few too many times), and at one point they offered to set me up with a gmat tutor, even though I got a 730, information that was included in what I initially provided them. As I told them (they followed up several times asking me to sign up), if that's the lax standards that they provide when trying to sell me something I couldn't imagine the poor quality that I'd receive after I coughed up the money.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 670 [0]
Given Kudos: 12
GMAT 1: 760 Q49 V44
GPA: 3.9
Send PM
So for those considering a admissions consultant, what good ones are out there?

I assume Alex's MBA Apply is up there. I've heard good things about Stacey Blackman Consulting. What about Veritas Prep? Finally, what about HBS Guru? I've heard amazing things regarding HBS Guru, but that seems to be more focused on the essays.

I assume that the biggest help a consultant can provide is with the essays, and for those, I figure HBS Guru would be the best option?
Founder
Founder
Own Kudos [?]: 72864 [0]
Given Kudos: 18857
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3
Send PM
Expert Reply
Here is a good post to consider - a long one though.
https://www.geekmba360.com/?p=725
GMAT Club Bot
 1   2   3