Last visit was: 23 Apr 2024, 12:40 It is currently 23 Apr 2024, 12:40

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 222 [0]
Given Kudos: 31
Concentration: Healthcare, Strategy, MC
Schools:Kellogg '11
Send PM
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 64 [0]
Given Kudos: 28
Concentration: General Management
Schools:Harvard '11
Send PM
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 291 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Concentration: Investment Banking
Schools:Chicago (dinged), Tuck (November), Columbia (RD)
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [0]
Concentration: Non-profit, GM
Schools:Ross, Darden, Yale SOM, Wharton, Kellogg (JD/MBA)
 Q44  V44
Send PM
Re: When are you telling your boss you got accepted? [#permalink]
egy wrote:
On a completely unrelated note... i didn't realize teachers get bonuses! How are they determined... if you don't mind me asking.

Leverandon wrote:
Aug. 7, right after I get my end of year bonus from my school. My principal will be less than thrilled that I am leaving teaching to go to business school regardless of the fact that I have non-profit interests.

Well, it might be a bit earlier...but I need to figure out how much earlier it has to be so that:

a. I don't screw them over by them thinking they have a teacher for the following year when they don't.
b. I still get my bonus.

Public school teachers normally do not get bonuses. I teach at a charter school where we are not unionized and so they can do different things like bonuses. Its based on merit primarily determined through student progress on standardized tests, but some other factors as well. Merit pay is a big issue right now in public education reform. Michelle Rhee (a Teach for America alum) who has taken direct control of the Washington DC school system as its new chancellor is pushing merit pay for the entire public school system there. Obama may be the deciding factor on this. He has been a bit evasive about his support for merit pay but will pretty soon have to take a stand on it. It will be interesting to see what happens.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 23 [0]
Schools:Chicago Booth '11
Send PM
If I get accepted somewhere Round 1, which I think is a stretch at this point given the competition, I will know in mid-late December. Our firm starts the promotion process in April for promotions in July. I spoke with my partner today and it seems I am probably going to get promoted to manager this year. I would feel bad leaving one month after getting promoted, but it beats telling them now and risking my name topping the list should they decide to lay people off. I mean, they might love what I'm doing and everything, but if they have to let somebody go, why not the guy who's leaving anyway?

So, I will feel bad about it, but the promotion would show that my work has paid off when looking for my next job post-MBA. Then again, I'm getting way ahead of myself. I hope this is a decision I am in a position to make.
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 64 [0]
Given Kudos: 28
Concentration: General Management
Schools:Harvard '11
Send PM
Leverandon wrote:
egy wrote:
On a completely unrelated note... i didn't realize teachers get bonuses! How are they determined... if you don't mind me asking.

Leverandon wrote:
Aug. 7, right after I get my end of year bonus from my school. My principal will be less than thrilled that I am leaving teaching to go to business school regardless of the fact that I have non-profit interests.

Well, it might be a bit earlier...but I need to figure out how much earlier it has to be so that:

a. I don't screw them over by them thinking they have a teacher for the following year when they don't.
b. I still get my bonus.

Public school teachers normally do not get bonuses. I teach at a charter school where we are not unionized and so they can do different things like bonuses. Its based on merit primarily determined through student progress on standardized tests, but some other factors as well. Merit pay is a big issue right now in public education reform. Michelle Rhee (a Teach for America alum) who has taken direct control of the Washington DC school system as its new chancellor is pushing merit pay for the entire public school system there. Obama may be the deciding factor on this. He has been a bit evasive about his support for merit pay but will pretty soon have to take a stand on it. It will be interesting to see what happens.

I've read a few articles about Ms. Rhee. It seems like one of the other things she is doing is trying to place as many TFA alums in administrative positions as she can. Also, I think Obama has supported merit pay for teachers for a long time now (officially spoke about it in July 2007).

Sources:
https://www.philly.com/philly/news/8335627.html
https://www.huffingtonpost.com/2008/07/0 ... 11018.html
https://www.newsweek.com/id/154901
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 1850 [1]
Given Kudos: 5
GMAT 2: 670
Send PM
Kudos
This is a very good topic.

It comes down to 2 things whether to tell your employeer earlier vs later.

Pay/Job security vs Burning bridges/friendships/trust.

Burning bridges/friendships/trust.
I'm sure if you told your boss later (especially after grabbing your bonus, promotions, etc.) he/she will be really ticked off (hey, imagine if some employee did that to you! especially if you have no quick way of backfilling that position). In addition, the boss probably wouldn't count on you in the future, especially if a role anywhere in the company opens up years down the road. How does he know you won't screw him twice? Everyone seems to know each other in the business world.

Pay/Job security
But then again, you can get screwed of the $ if you tell them early (hey, if my employee was leaving early, I'd most likely give them a smaller bonus - and distribute to the other "deserving" employees). What's ironic about this is that the last thing I'd be thinking about is "Geez, that was nice of him to tell me early. What a nice chap."

Just to give you some perspective, I'm a manager and also looking to get an MBA.

At the end of the day, it's a dog eat dog world - it's not personal, just business. Do what's most important to you.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 215 [0]
Given Kudos: 4
Concentration: Investment Management
Schools:CBS, Cornell, Duke, Ross, Darden
Send PM
I plan to give 2 weeks notice before I leave. I'm thankful that I have a job, especially given the company that I work for, but I don't owe them anything beyond the blood and sweat that I've already contributed. I plan to take off ~6 weeks prior to school starting for vacation, packing, and a bit of R&R.

What I may do, though, is try to obtain an internship in IM, IB, or PE for maybe 4 months (I think terry12 did this). Although I have tangential experience to my desired post-MBA job and the CFA Charter, obtaining an internship would probably help my career transition from corp. finance to IM. In any event, I'll be giving 2 weeks notice, regardless of what route that I end up taking.
GMAT Club Bot
   1   2