Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 14:27 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 14:27

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 155 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Concentration: Strategy, Management, Finance
Schools:Chicago Booth 2011
 Q50  V47
Send PM
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 779 [0]
Given Kudos: 548
Schools:Yale SOM 2011 Alum, Kellogg, Booth, Tuck
 Q44  V50
WE 1: IB - Restructuring & Distressed M&A
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 264 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Concentration: Entrepreneurship
Schools:Berkeley Haas
Send PM
Current Student
 Q50  V47
Send PM
Re: Calling all NYU Fall '09 applicants! [#permalink]
suntaurian wrote:
I am in for R1. Submitted on 11/15 just before the 2 pm PST deadline.

Got you on the list. What was your submit date?

Ryguy, kidderek...what were your submit dates? This will help us verify is NYU does rolling apps (as is my assumption) within rounds.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 264 [0]
Concentration: Entrepreneurship
Schools:Berkeley Haas
Send PM
sonibubu wrote:
suntaurian wrote:
I am in for R1. Submitted on 11/15 just before the 2 pm PST deadline.

Got you on the list. What was your submit date?

Ryguy, kidderek...what were your submit dates? This will help us verify is NYU does rolling apps (as is my assumption) within rounds.

Thanks Soni...I had submitted on the 15th of Nov for the same day deadline.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 11 [0]
Send PM
Anybody hear specifics about the number of applications submitted for Fall '09? I heard some pretty disturbing stats that I hope are not true. I was told that there was a greater than a 100% increase in the number at NYU from last year. Granted, I received this information indirectly, and there is probably some degree of exaggeration, but STILL.....
SVP
SVP
 Q44  V50
Send PM
I think greater than 100% increase is false.

However, I did hear that app volume is up around 40% compared to LY. (it was in one of those admissions Q&A in either BW, WSJ, or some other pub)

Another disturbing fact was Stern adcom thinks by the time R3 deadline comes around, they won't have much slots left for Fall 2009 FT.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Thanks for the info. ninkorn.

I wonder if the NYC schools will see a relatively greater increase in application volume because of the Finance Industry..Either way, it will be tough this year.
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 223 [0]
Given Kudos: 22
Concentration: General Management
Schools:NYU Stern '11
ninkorn and tamg08, if you would post sources for those statistics you cite, it would be very helpful. Otherwise it's simply pure speculation.

IMO, it's highly unlikely that R1 applications are up 40%.
SVP
SVP
 Q44  V50
Send PM
solaris1 wrote:
ninkorn and tamg08, if you would post sources for those statistics you cite, it would be very helpful. Otherwise it's simply pure speculation.

IMO, it's highly unlikely that R1 applications are up 40%.

Found the Bw article I read few wks ago.

My bad. 40% number was for Penn State - Smeal. NYU was in the same article (paragraph after Smeal) and I guess I just remembered 40% number.

https://www.businessweek.com/bschools/co ... 158181.htm

According to the article,, NYU received 20% increase in apps in 2008 vs 2007.

Also according to this article:

https://www.crainsnewyork.com/apps/pbcs. ... 69985/1057

Stern MBA apps are expected to be significantly higher in 2009. There was another article in WSJ that Fall 2009 app numbers are not official yet

https://online.wsj.com/article/SB122394012554930657.html

Originally posted by nink on 03 Dec 2008, 12:17.
Last edited by nink on 03 Dec 2008, 12:22, edited 1 time in total.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
@ Solaris: I understand your concern about misinformation and the hysteria it could cause.

I'll tell you as much as I can about my information. It came indirectly from a current Stern student via this student's family member, whom I trust very much and who has no reason to lie. That's why I was conflicted about posting it. It seems like a crazy number, but I trust the source. I figured if it were true, everyone would already be freaking out about it on this forum. If it was simply an exaggeration, someone informed, such as ninkorn, would set me straight. I definitely believe ninkorn's number.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 233 [0]
Given Kudos: 6
Concentration: Finance (Corp Fin, Financial Instruments)
Schools:NYU Stern 2009
Send PM
tamg08 wrote:
It came indirectly from a current Stern student via this student's family member, whom I trust very much and who has no reason to lie. That's why I was conflicted about posting it. It seems like a crazy number, but I trust the source. I figured if it were true, everyone would already be freaking out about it on this forum. If it was simply an exaggeration, someone informed, such as ninkorn, would set me straight. I definitely believe ninkorn's number.

I am intruiged as to where this might have come from. I can't think of any student that would know this at all. There have been signs that their would be an increase, but I can't see any basis for where this was found.
Current Student
 Q50  V47
Send PM
3underscore wrote:
tamg08 wrote:
It came indirectly from a current Stern student via this student's family member, whom I trust very much and who has no reason to lie. That's why I was conflicted about posting it. It seems like a crazy number, but I trust the source. I figured if it were true, everyone would already be freaking out about it on this forum. If it was simply an exaggeration, someone informed, such as ninkorn, would set me straight. I definitely believe ninkorn's number.

I am intruiged as to where this might have come from. I can't think of any student that would know this at all. There have been signs that their would be an increase, but I can't see any basis for where this was found.

I can almost guarantee without a doubt that NYU didn't see a 100% app increase. NYU had something like 4500 apps last year, more than University of Chicago in fact. I can't imagine they received 9,000 apps this year, just doesn't sound plausible.
Current Student
Send PM
Sonibubu

You are entirely missing the point. The conjecture is that R1 applications were up 100%. The 4,800 applications (give or take) are over the three rounds and dominated by R2 in volume.

A shift in applications to R1 to double applications could happen through just a movement to apply early. I just don't think there will be a sound source for it (though could be wrong), and being at Stern should mean I would hear about it - if it did happen and was told to the class, everyone would be talking.
Current Student
 Q50  V47
Send PM
My point exactly, no way they'd be up 100% in R1, R2, R3, or as a whole.
Current Student
Send PM
R2 & R3 haven't happened. I don't get your point - it is a known unknown. Why would anyone be talking about something being up that hasn't happened?

On R1 (Class 2011), applications can be up or down relative to R1 (Class 2010). A lot of schools will be looking at this measure in a way to prepare for the overall application volume - it will be a known metric at all schools, as the whole interview process will be based off it in some way (offers, interviews, waitlists).

Now if R1 is up hugely, can you assume this will be reflected in the same way across all rounds, or that it represents a change in skew, meaning more people are applying R1 who, historically, may have been in R2. Who knows? My guess is someone at least thinks about all this, but it isn't going to be me.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 39 [0]
Concentration: Management Consulting, Social Enterprise, Environmental Sustainability, International Business
Schools:Fuqua '11
 Q48  V47
Send PM
Keep in mind that the BW article re: PSU-Smeal noted that the increase in application volume was the largest in mid-range business schools, aka outside the top 20. I don't see why that would have changed this year. People like to talk about NYU/Columbia exploding in apps due to the wall street crisis but wall st people wanted to go to those schools even when times were good. So for me it's hard to fathom a more than 40% jump overall.

What I definitely DO forecast(and I readily admit I have no hard facts to back this up) is that the 'bulge' in these mid-range schools is felt more in R2 and the top 20 schools in R1, largely because I think many people (perhaps myself included) start off with only their dream schools in mind and then shift to their backup plans when the R2 deadlines approach and they don't have an admit. So even if the R1 at Stern has jumped 40%, I don't think that will necessarily be the case for all rounds.
Current Student
 Q50  V47
Send PM
3underscore wrote:
R2 & R3 haven't happened. I don't get your point - it is a known unknown. Why would anyone be talking about something being up that hasn't happened?

Simple. By using past events as an indicator of future events. In the worst downturns, apps haven't gone up 100% (for ANY round) for M7 schools or ones a tier below such as NYU, Duke, etc. With a school like NYU that's large and gets tons of apps, it's just unfathomable to get a 100% increase in apps in ANY round.

Plus, from what I've read (by the people who "think about all this"), R2 is expected to have the biggest jump. So if R1 had a 100% increase, then R2 will have a 200% increase? Um, no...don't think so. So the point again: 100% app increase for a school as large as NYU? NOPE, don't believe it. 20-40%? Yeah I can believe that. That's all I'm trying to say.

Sure Penn St might get that 100% jump, but they have just a few hundred applicants (for a class size of just over 100 I believe).
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 223 [0]
Given Kudos: 22
Concentration: General Management
Schools:NYU Stern '11
Someone on BW reported receiving an interview invite. Seems legit.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 18 [0]
Schools:Darden, Stern, CBS, Johnson, Fuqua
Send PM
solaris1 wrote:
Someone on BW reported receiving an interview invite. Seems legit.

Not that I'm doubting, but what about "Just got an interview invite :) Anyone else?" makes it legitimate or illegitimate?
GMAT Club Bot
   1  ...  7   8   9   10   11   12   13  ...  19