Last visit was: 23 Apr 2024, 19:43 It is currently 23 Apr 2024, 19:43

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 30 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Concentration: Consulting
 Q49  V42
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [0]
Concentration: Non-profit, GM
Schools:Ross, Darden, Yale SOM, Wharton, Kellogg (JD/MBA)
 Q44  V44
Send PM
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [0]
Concentration: Healthcare and Operations
Schools:Michigan
Send PM
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 8 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
Re: Calling all Michigan (Ross) Fall 2009 Applicants! [#permalink]
Leverandon wrote:
GMATclub is a highly non representative sample of the Ross applicant pool. Most received GMAT scores over 700 and have competitive GPAs from strong undergrads. I think someone above noted that last year most of the people from
GMATclub who were interviewed were admitted. I think we should be very optimistic about our chances.

But wouldn't only people with these credentials apply to top schools? I mean its a waste of money if I am not close to a school's stats unless I have something exceptional.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 11 [0]
Send PM
cld YihWei or one of the moderators update the roll call on the first page plz??

i too think tht gmatclub is a non representative sample and i sure hope the success rate this yr is even better than last yr!

any idea approx. how many seats up for grabs in Rnd 1?
why isn't tom jan 15th :!:
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [0]
Concentration: Non-profit, GM
Schools:Ross, Darden, Yale SOM, Wharton, Kellogg (JD/MBA)
 Q44  V44
Send PM
I don't think so. The average GMAT of students attending is 690. That means that there must be some people in the mid to low 600s to make up for the people with mid to high 700s. And then there are those who got turned down... I figure that some people are less informed than we are about their chances of getting in with their stars and certainly some people who apply knowing their chances but consider Ross a reach and apply anyway.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 19 [0]
Send PM
I love Michigan more than anyone. I don't think you will find someone that is as unbiased as me. Michigan engineering is great. I assure you that each school will help you accomplish your goals. My goal here is to only clear these misconceptions about Kellogg.

That said, with an MBA from Kellogg, you will have no problem getting into a tech or operations role (things that an engineer might get). Kellogg has a HUGE presence in Silicon Valley and Seattle. And remember, the MMM program recruits the brightest talent that desire an operations focus.

But unless you want to work in automotives, I can't think of any tech firm that goes to Michigan and does not recruit at Kellogg. And if you are recruiting for an MBA position, people aren't going to necessarily associate you with Michigan engineering unless you are TMI.

But hey, if you pick Michigan for the culture or because you love Ann Arbor, by all means do so. It is a great school!

nomsg7111 wrote:
MGOBLUE2 wrote:
To pick Michigan over Kellogg because overall university strength is like picking Yale SOM over Wharton because Yale is a stronger brand. In other words, it makes no sense.

And let's be honest here. Both are great research universities with strong programs across the board. I just looked at the US news rankings, and the law schools are tied at 9. Differences are marginal.

Kellogg alumni tend to be loyal to Kellogg students more so than the rest of Northwestern. Same with Ross alums. Keep that in mind and realize overall university strength is not something one should factor into this decision. Especially since both schools have strong reputations.

nomsg7111 wrote:

To be honest I am still leaning a bit towards UCLA (the weather is a big factor for me :) ); but I would put Michigan up with Kellogg now. I feel Michigan is a stronger university as a whole; with top notch engineering, medical, graduate, and law schools. Whereas I feel Kellogg is a cut above the rest of Northwestern. Hmm...still need to get in a school. But Michigan did move up a notch after visiting...

Kellogg is an excellent school and I meant no disrespect from my earlier post, I am applying to Kellogg and would be happy to attend there next year (if they accept me).

I suppose I feel that so much value is placed on US news and BW rankings. The difference between a top 5 and a top 10 rankings is small. Students are similar, and recruiters are similar. Fit, cost, location, happiness, general university brand, career recruitment, etc etc are all important. Just feel that these US news and BW rankings rule "MBA world." In the work place there are lots of people from different backgrounds, and not everybody has (or wants) an MBA.

Overall university brand is important. That is one reason Stanford and Harvard are perennially at the top of most students "wish list." As for Yale. I don't really have too much opinion as I'm not an Ivy League kid. Although I think its top 20ish placement is a result of the general Yale brand, not so much the business school. Yale isn't a bad school, just doesn't seem to have much of a business reputation.

I am biased in my engineering background. Michigan is one of the "big kids" on the block, in fact one of the co-founders of Google did his undergrad there. Their students are bright and I think if you were to work in a technology company, where you would have to interact with engineers or scientists that the Michigan name does carry a little bit more weight just because their strong programs.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 131 [0]
Concentration: Finance, Strategy
Send PM
wow, congrat guys!
refurb, now u have an early sweet X'mas gift :lol: all the best
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 408 [0]
Given Kudos: 34
Concentration: Sustainable Development
Schools:Ross '12 (MBA/MS)
 Q49  V45
Send PM
sentiment wrote:
cld YihWei or one of the moderators update the roll call on the first page plz??

Done! Been out of town for a few days (visiting Fuqua).

Congrats to you guys who received interview phone calls. Knock 'em dead!
Current Student
Concentration: Entrepreneurship
Schools:Ross,Johnson, Darden, McCombs, Simon
 Q48  V41
Send PM
Wow, I am another one who receieved that phone call on Friday stating that they had not heard anything from me after an interview invite. I cant believe there are three of us on here. They wanted to schedule a phone interview but I told them that I would be able to make it to Ann Arbor on Wed. Looks like gmatclub is doing great with Ross.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 30 [1]
Concentration: Consulting
 Q49  V42
Send PM
Kudos
Just for reference - Last year's stats!

Overall -
Cumulative R1 & R2 stats.
22 Admits out of 37 applicants ~ 60% admit rate

R1 - Total: 17 Admits: 11 Dings: 4 (only ONE ding after interview)
R2 - Total: 19 Admits: 10 Dings: 9 (only THREE dings after interview

In total - 37 applicants, 22 admits, and 3 waitlists.

This supports Lev's prediction that an interview is a great portent of good things to come.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 156 [0]
Given Kudos: 6
Schools:Tuck
Send PM
dghazer wrote:
Wow, I am another one who receieved that phone call on Friday stating that they had not heard anything from me after an interview invite. I cant believe there are three of us on here. They wanted to schedule a phone interview but I told them that I would be able to make it to Ann Arbor on Wed. Looks like gmatclub is doing great with Ross.

Actually, it's four so far:

dghazer
refurb
goldfishee
dharmabum (needs to confirm on Monday)

Considering 34 people applied in R1, that's over 10% who missed the invite. I'm thinking there may be more on Monday.

RF
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 16 [0]
Schools:Kellogg '11 (MMM)
 Q51  V42
GPA: 3.6
WE 1: Engineer at a Food & Beverage Company
WE 2: Engineer at an Automotive Supplier
WE 3: Consultant at a Management Consulting Firm
Send PM
refurb wrote:
I'm thinking there may be more on Monday.

I hope you are right ... :)

Congrats to everybody who's gotten an invite and good luck to everyone who is in my boat ...
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 291 [0]
Concentration: Investment Banking
Schools:Chicago (dinged), Tuck (November), Columbia (RD)
Send PM
Wow... a 59% acceptance rate for GMATClub last year. Impressive!
Current Student
Send PM
Yeah, I haven't figured it out yet. If I end up getting into both Kellogg and Michigan it'll be a tough decision for me. I think they share alot of applicants. Both are pretty good general management schools, located in mid-west, and seem to have a more applied focus. A pretty good chunk of people I talked to at Michigan's super saturday thing were also applying to Kellogg.

I applied to both MMM and Tauber. It seems a lot of MMM grads end up in either consulting or general management positions. Not too sure about Tauber, I'd guess similar. Both programs seem to have the operations focus. Academically both seem good. I think MMM and Tauber both have a bit more flexibility than MIT LFM program (which seems to heavily discourage people from not ending up in a manufacturing position).

I don't think it will really matters where you got your MBA 3 years after graduation. Both are excellent schools, and should open more doors :-D .

MGOBLUE2 wrote:
I love Michigan more than anyone. I don't think you will find someone that is as unbiased as me. Michigan engineering is great. I assure you that each school will help you accomplish your goals. My goal here is to only clear these misconceptions about Kellogg.

That said, with an MBA from Kellogg, you will have no problem getting into a tech or operations role (things that an engineer might get). Kellogg has a HUGE presence in Silicon Valley and Seattle. And remember, the MMM program recruits the brightest talent that desire an operations focus.

But unless you want to work in automotives, I can't think of any tech firm that goes to Michigan and does not recruit at Kellogg. And if you are recruiting for an MBA position, people aren't going to necessarily associate you with Michigan engineering unless you are TMI.

But hey, if you pick Michigan for the culture or because you love Ann Arbor, by all means do so. It is a great school!
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 16 [0]
Schools:Kellogg '11 (MMM)
 Q51  V42
GPA: 3.6
WE 1: Engineer at a Food & Beverage Company
WE 2: Engineer at an Automotive Supplier
WE 3: Consultant at a Management Consulting Firm
Send PM
nomsg7111 wrote:
Yeah, I haven't figured it out yet. If I end up getting into both Kellogg and Michigan it'll be a tough decision for me. I think they share alot of applicants. Both are pretty good general management schools, located in mid-west, and seem to have a more applied focus. A pretty good chunk of people I talked to at Michigan's super saturday thing were also applying to Kellogg.

I applied to both MMM and Tauber. It seems a lot of MMM grads end up in either consulting or general management positions. Not too sure about Tauber, I'd guess similar. Both programs seem to have the operations focus. Academically both seem good. I think MMM and Tauber both have a bit more flexibility than MIT LFM program (which seems to heavily discourage people from not ending up in a manufacturing position).

I don't think it will really matters where you got your MBA 3 years after graduation. Both are excellent schools, and should open more doors :-D .

MGOBLUE2 wrote:

I'm on the same wavelength as you. I actually only applied to MMM. For MIT/Michigan, I applied to just the MBA program itself. LFM seemed very rigid and I am definitely not interested in manufacturing. And I read through the Tauber website a few times, but I didn't feel a strong fit.

I liked the MMM's newly added focus on product design, as that is what I really want to do. Tauber had some similar coursework, but it still seemed more manufacturing-centered. Maybe I got the wrong impression?
Current Student
Send PM
balki1867 wrote:
nomsg7111 wrote:

MGOBLUE2 wrote:

I'm on the same wavelength as you. I actually only applied to MMM. For MIT/Michigan, I applied to just the MBA program itself. LFM seemed very rigid and I am definitely not interested in manufacturing. And I read through the Tauber website a few times, but I didn't feel a strong fit.

I liked the MMM's newly added focus on product design, as that is what I really want to do. Tauber had some similar coursework, but it still seemed more manufacturing-centered. Maybe I got the wrong impression?

The product design emphasis isn't that big a deal to me because I already have two engineering degrees, and I have taken some product design classes. Although there is a new medical innovation class @ MMM that seemed very interesting though. You get to take classes with medical students, law students, engineering students; and design a new medical product. Seems very multidisciplinary and interesting. My overall impression of the MMM program is that the MEM degree isn't really a "hardcore" engineering degree; and is more geared towards operations, design, and technical management.

The thing that turned me off initially to Tauber was the required internship. Although to tell the truth, that might be a big plus now with the economic downturn. You are guaranteed an internship, and that seems like a relief in this economic situation. My company recently instituted a hiring freeze, and I think other companies will make similar moves...

My impression with Tauber is that the website is a bit underdeveloped. It doesn't seem they do a good job of selling the program, but it is affilated with both Ross and Michigan Engineering...so that's a plus as both are reputable.

I found the found the following stats for placement of Tauber:
https://www.tauber.umich.edu/Community/S ... le_web.pdf

and MMM:
https://www.mmm.northwestern.edu/pdf/cla ... istics.pdf

Both have similar industry placements and salary. Tauber only had 15 students, very small. I think its really more of an "major" or "concentration" than a seperate degree program.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 9 [0]
Schools:Ross '11
Send PM
Awesome news guys...that must be a very pleasant surprise!
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 10 [0]
Concentration: CSR and Non-Profit Management
Schools:University of Michigan Erb Institute '12
 Q44  V45
Send PM
68% got an interview and then had an 84% admit rate after an interview last year is pretty impressive. Gotta like the chances. Someone should really keep track of this stuff year to year.

sam77sam7 wrote:
ust for reference - Last year's stats!

Overall -
Cumulative R1 & R2 stats.
22 Admits out of 37 applicants ~ 60% admit rate

R1 - Total: 17 Admits: 11 Dings: 4 (only ONE ding after interview)
R2 - Total: 19 Admits: 10 Dings: 9 (only THREE dings after interview

In total - 37 applicants, 22 admits, and 3 waitlists.

This supports Lev's prediction that an interview is a great portent of good things to come.

P.S. Interview confirmed with the Ross folks Monday morning, for tomorrow (lots of time to prepare). Yay!
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 156 [0]
Given Kudos: 6
Schools:Tuck
Send PM
dharmabum wrote:

P.S. Interview confirmed with the Ross folks Monday morning, for tomorrow (lots of time to prepare). Yay!

Congrats Dharmabum! I must have been tough waiting until Monday to confirm!

My interview is tomorrow morning as well, best of luck!!

RF
GMAT Club Bot
   1  ...  30   31   32   33   34   35   36  ...  66