Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 01:22 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 01:22

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 222 [1]
Given Kudos: 31
Concentration: Healthcare, Strategy, MC
Schools:Kellogg '11
Send PM
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 291 [1]
Given Kudos: 0
Concentration: Investment Banking
Schools:Chicago (dinged), Tuck (November), Columbia (RD)
Send PM
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 222 [0]
Send PM
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 291 [1]
Send PM
Re: Intro to finance? [#permalink]
Kudos
www.mbamath.com is used for a lot of the pre-MBA stats and accounting tutorials. For example, I know Tuck uses this website to guide their pre-MBA stats and accounting courses.
Current Student
Send PM
agold wrote:
https://www.mbamath.com is used for a lot of the pre-MBA stats and accounting tutorials. For example, I know Tuck uses this website to guide their pre-MBA stats and accounting courses.

sweet! Accounting is also on my list of things to review before starting :)
thanks!
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 291 [0]
Send PM
Anytime - you're welcome
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 223 [0]
Given Kudos: 22
Concentration: General Management
Schools:NYU Stern '11
You don't really need to bother, ac8706. The first several weeks of the Finance and Accounting core classes you wil take in your first semester at virtually every school will cover undergraduate level stuff.

Damodaran I believe has videos of his class lectures on his website (or so I've heard).
Current Student
Send PM
solaris1 wrote:
You don't really need to bother, ac8706. The first several weeks of the Finance and Accounting core classes you wil take in your first semester at virtually every school will cover undergraduate level stuff.

Damodaran I believe has videos of his class lectures on his website (or so I've heard).

So when I say I never took a finance class, I also mean that I know next to nothing about the subject beyond what I read in the news.
And I know I don't have to do the pre-work but I'd rather walk into class with some of that basic knowledge. One less thing to worry about :)

Found the Damodaran class lectures: https://pages.stern.nyu.edu/~adamodar/

Thanks!!
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 233 [0]
Given Kudos: 6
Concentration: Finance (Corp Fin, Financial Instruments)
Schools:NYU Stern 2009
Send PM
I would advise against Damodaran's class being an introduction to Finance - it is a reasonable Foundation in Corporate Finance (which is somewhat different and more a second tier course). Very good, but not necessarily appropriate.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 12 [0]
Given Kudos: 5
GMAT 1: 720 Q49 V40
GPA: 3.64
WE:Asset Management (Investment Banking)
Send PM
3underscore wrote:
I would advise against Damodaran's class being an introduction to Finance - it is a reasonable Foundation in Corporate Finance (which is somewhat different and more a second tier course). Very good, but not necessarily appropriate.

I thought his strong suit is in valuation? I have been referring to his books on weekly basis.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 233 [0]
Given Kudos: 6
Concentration: Finance (Corp Fin, Financial Instruments)
Schools:NYU Stern 2009
Send PM
Valuation and Corporate Finance are to ends of the same dog. He does classes on both. Corp Fin is the intermediate course, Valuation is the one where he works everyone like a dog.
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 1682 [0]
Given Kudos: 210
Send PM
I had the good fortune of attending Damodarans valuation class during my visit last year. In one word - he is INCREDIBLE !! If you can find class videos - get them.

3underscore wrote:
Valuation and Corporate Finance are to ends of the same dog. He does classes on both. Corp Fin is the intermediate course, Valuation is the one where he works everyone like a dog.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 156 [0]
Given Kudos: 24
Concentration: Entrepreneurship
 Q44  V40
Send PM
I'm trying to get a grip of basic finance and investments .. and ordered the book 'Investments, by Bodie. Kane and Marcus' - Not sure how big of a help it is for introductory finance. I believe it is a recommended pre-requisite text book for CFA and the CAIA certifications.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 62 [1]
Given Kudos: 5
Concentration: General Management
Schools:St. Gallen '09
 Q47  V40
Send PM