Last visit was: 23 Apr 2024, 17:36 It is currently 23 Apr 2024, 17:36

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 8 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Schools:NYU STERN
Send PM
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 779 [0]
Given Kudos: 548
Schools:Yale SOM 2011 Alum, Kellogg, Booth, Tuck
 Q44  V50
WE 1: IB - Restructuring & Distressed M&A
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 463 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Send PM
Current Student
Send PM
Re: Should I retake and apply round 3? [#permalink]
In practice situations I was performing much better. I just think my nerves got the best of me. I just don't know what's worse - applying with my current score or applying round 3 - darn GMAT!
SVP
SVP
 Q44  V50
Send PM
chicagocubsrule wrote:
I completely disagree with this statement. You should go back to the drawing board and look for ways to improve your score. There are several members on this forum who improved significantly.

How many "members" do you know that improved their score dramatically in short period of time (between now and R3 deadline)? Chances are, you won't find many, if any.

Like I mentioned before, unless he had a valid reason for messing up (meaning the score he got was way below his usual practice score etc), odds are against him to improve his score for him to apply to schools such as NYU, Columbia and Yale. Not to mention that he is talking about R3!
SVP
SVP
 Q44  V50
Send PM
hardaway7 wrote:
In practice situations I was performing much better. I just think my nerves got the best of me. I just don't know what's worse - applying with my current score or applying round 3 - darn GMAT!

Your current score of 620 is at the lower end of your target schools' GMAT range.

Based on GMAT score alone (ignoring all other parts of your application), Columbia is already out of question. Many early decision Columbia applicants got dinged with GMAt scores in 700 range (not to mention impressive profile).

NYU is very competitive this year. They give out few interview invites as well. If you look at spring 2009 NYU thread, you can get a sense of how competitive even their PT program is this year.

Yale just started releasing admits right before the x mas holiday. Although Yale isn't considered a heavy weight such as Columbia or NYU, I am sure applicants are competitive this year.

Therefore, unless your application/profile is very unique (such as you are an Olympic Gold Medalist or something), it is very difficult to even get interview invites with GMAT score of 620 to the schools mentioned above. (again - only looking at GMAT score only)

R3 option is also unappealing. R3 probably gives an applicant lowest chance of getting admit for top schools.

However, if you are indeed getting scores above 620 (such as 680 to 700 range) in your practice CATs frequently, then you should schedule another GMAT exam as soon as possible and apply R2.

Otherwise you will have to apply R3, or apply R2 with 620 or consider lower tier schools.
Current Student
Send PM
Thanks - I just took my test today so I can't take it for another 30 days I believe they say- which would put me past round 2. And yes on practice tests I was scoring apx 700.
GMAT Club Bot