Last visit was: 23 Apr 2024, 21:19 It is currently 23 Apr 2024, 21:19

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 8 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Schools:NYU STERN
Send PM
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 223 [0]
Given Kudos: 22
Concentration: General Management
Schools:NYU Stern '11
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Send PM
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 8 [0]
Schools:NYU STERN
Send PM
Re: Calling all Yale SOM 2009 Applicants! [#permalink]

Originally posted by hardaway7 on 31 Dec 2008, 10:55.
Last edited by hardaway7 on 02 Jan 2009, 07:56, edited 1 time in total.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Send PM
hardaway7 wrote:
Yes I took:
Matrix Methods and Models: A-
Intermediate Macro Econ: A
Investment Analysis: A
Accounting: B
Statistics: A
Intro to Economic Analysis: A
Data Analysis: B

and other courses such as managment science etc.

I didn't do very well in Calculus my first semester of college. I got a c- but I didn't fair to well overall that semester because my mother was very ill and I had to constantly make a 7 hour drive home from school!

I would apply R2 and sign up for the GMAT today for Jan 30. Yale will take your new score if they receive it in time. I had a similar issue with R1 and they said they will take the score as long as it is within a couple of weeks of the deadline. However, there is the possibility that you will be judged on the 620 alone.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Send PM
Are there any Silver Scholars who were accepted or received interview invites? I trying to figure out if all invites have gone out. thanks
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 107 [0]
Given Kudos: 15
Schools:Kellogg '10
 Q46  V47
Send PM
Does anyone have tips on the best hotel to choose when visiting SOM? Thanks!
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 779 [1]
Given Kudos: 548
Schools:Yale SOM 2011 Alum, Kellogg, Booth, Tuck
 Q44  V50
WE 1: IB - Restructuring & Distressed M&A
Send PM
Kudos
rca215 wrote:

I stayed at Courtyard at Marriott and it was very convenient. The hotel is right by Yale campus and there is a shuttle service from airport and other transportation hubs.

Courtyard by Marriott at Yale
30 Whalley Avenue
New Haven
(203) 777-6221

Courtyard isn't expensive compared to other hotels. This is probably your best bet.
Director
Director
 Q46  V47
Send PM
ninkorn wrote:
rca215 wrote:

I stayed at Courtyard at Marriott and it was very convenient. The hotel is right by Yale campus and there is a shuttle service from airport and other transportation hubs.

Courtyard by Marriott at Yale
30 Whalley Avenue
New Haven
(203) 777-6221

Courtyard isn't expensive compared to other hotels. This is probably your best bet.

You're quick ninkorn. Looks good to me (free parking included too). Thanks!
Director
Director
 Q46  V47
Send PM
Just submitted for R2. Good luck everyone!
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 779 [2]
 Q44  V50
Send PM
Bookmarks
Okay, guys. I know this post is going to get me hell of a backlash from bunch of GClub regulars I interact with. I know I am fortunate enough to have admits to couple other schools that many people will kill for. But here it goes:

I heard from Yale SOM. I got the admit call with scholarship offer of more than $30K a year. (It was named after someone. I forgot who it was)

Now, most of my GClub friends know that my first choice was Tuck from the very beginning. Ever since I was waitlisted from Tuck, I’ve mentioned that I have no preference among the other schools (Stern, Yale, Booth, Kellogg, Haas) that I applied to. I was fully planning on accepting Kellogg admit even though I joked with others about considering Booth or waiting on NYU Stern etc.

I also said that I will go to the school that offers me the most money either in scholarship or financial aid package. As many of you know, I received both my BS Accounting and MS Management Info Systems from NYU. My parents paid for my undergraduate education in full but I took out a loan to pay for my MS degree. I still have about $20K left on the loan. When Booth and Kellogg didn’t offer me any scholarship money, I decided to wait for each school’s financial aid package before making any decision. But now with this Yale offer, my plans have changed completely. Even my fiancé (who is applying to Haas and Stanford only and so far refused to consider application to Booth or Kellogg) is beginning to realize that we might be spending the next 2 years on the opposite side of the country at this point. (at least the impression I got from her text messages after I told her the news)

Some of you might argue about limited opportunities (post-MBA) with Yale MBA vs. Kellogg or Booth MBA. I’ve mentioned that my goal (post-MBA) was either in sports-management or in Silicon Valley. (Silicon Valley is probably most likely scenario) I have no interest whatsoever in PE/VC/IB/MC career because I’ve seen how unhappy my friends and family members in those fields are/were. My fiancé worked at Bain Capital for 3 years before quitting for a job in Global Strategy group of LVMH. My younger brother worked at BlackRock for 3 years in risk management before quitting his job. Now he is in law school – hoping to become a public defendant. My roommate is currently at JP Morgan/Measurisk division and he is dreaming about quitting his job to escape to bschool everyday. And the list goes on and on. (Not to mention I have zero desire whatsoever to pursue career in accounting/finance after MBA…)

I’ve visited Yale SOM back in September and here’s list of pluses (for me) that I jotted down:

1) Intriguing newly revised curriculum
2) Smaller than average target class size every year
3) Not pursuing PE/VC/IB/MC career post-MBA. I pursued both my BS and MS degrees not because I loved them but because they would help me get a job. I want to pursue my last graduate degree (MBA) for the love of learning only. SOM, from what I observed, is a thinking person’s bschool. The new curriculum allows students to think broadly, be curious, and ask questions. Students are given raw data and are asked to work with that – rather than having a solved case that’s handed to them. I want to learn how to frame difficult problems correctly. Approach them in different ways. I don’t want to just plug in solutions for any problem (the way I approach problems right now at work), but to stop and think about them – and then come up with solutions. I think Yale SOM’s new curriculum is designed for shaping students this way.
4) I want to experience this new curriculum. When I started my bschool applications, I chose schools with established reputations (that I thought I had reasonable shot at). However, what’s important is the future. If I can gain what I can gain from Yale SOM and establish myself post-MBA, my future accomplishments will benefit Yale SOM. If Yale SOM ever breaks into Top 5 program, I want to be part of the reason. You can say that it’s my start-up mentality and love for under-dogs. (or pure stupidity….)

I already withdrew my applications to Haas and Stern today. I still have to speak to my fiancé about our plans before making my final decision. But as of now (and mostly likely), I will be heading to New Haven this fall. Thanks for all the advice, encouragement, and comments that you guys shared with me. The last 3 months or so has been a grueling period of time, full of joy and disappointments….. I am glad I found this community early, and I am happy that I was able to go through this experience with you guys.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 156 [0]
Given Kudos: 29
Concentration: Brand
Schools:Cornell '11
 Q47  V40
Send PM
Congrats ninkorn!!!!!!!!! I want to be you. Well, me still.....but with your options. 8-)
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 61 [0]
Concentration: Investment Banking or Investment Management
Send PM
ninkorn wrote:
I heard from Yale SOM. I got the admit call with scholarship offer of more than $30K a year. (It was named after someone. I forgot who it was)

Ninkorn I haven't even finished reading this yet. I only read the first 2 lines. But if its going where I think its going (and where your avatar suggests) I am going to beat you to death. I already warned you that if you picked Yale over K/Booth I would beat you to death and I was serious.

Note: If I read your post and find out I'm wrong I'll edit this. Otherwise, watch your back.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 18 [0]
Send PM
Cha-ching! I might be shooting daggers at you now, but well done. Enjoy New Haven... they have great Thai food near campus as well!
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 61 [0]
Concentration: Investment Banking or Investment Management
Send PM
OK so I read your post. It sounds well reasoned but I'm still going to give you hell for a long time :-D

P.S. congrats on all your admits. Quite an app season you had!

Originally posted by IHateTheGMAT on 05 Jan 2009, 10:57.
Last edited by IHateTheGMAT on 05 Jan 2009, 11:01, edited 1 time in total.
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 223 [0]
Given Kudos: 22
Concentration: General Management
Schools:NYU Stern '11
You go ninkorn! You make a strong enough, and sensible case for wanting to go to Yale SOM and I'm sure you'll be happy there.

Kudos for choosing to take the path less traveled. Well, not literally. :)
Director
Director
 Q46  V47
Send PM
$30K...wow!!!
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 291 [0]
Concentration: Investment Banking
Schools:Chicago (dinged), Tuck (November), Columbia (RD)
Send PM
Ninkorn,

Congrats! I'm really dying to see some of your essays (and I'm sure others are as well). You should post them in the vault after the R2 deadlines have passed in the next week or two.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 30 [0]
Concentration: Consulting
 Q49  V42
Send PM
ninkorn - congrats on the scholarship! I am sure you will be very happy at Yale, it is a heck of a school!
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 779 [0]
 Q44  V50
Send PM
sam77sam7 wrote:
ninkorn - congrats on the scholarship! I am sure you will be very happy at Yale, it is a heck of a school!

Thanks buddy. Pulling for u at Ross and Kellogg
GMAT Club Bot
   1  ...  6   7   8   9   10   11   12  ...  22