Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 16:19 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 16:19

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 61 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Concentration: Investment Banking or Investment Management
Send PM
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 72 [0]
Send PM
Current Student
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
Re: Columbia Business School [#permalink]
Thank you very much buddy. I understand you must be occupied with the school activities. Worth appreciating that inspite of all this you take the pain to reply these posts. your words of great help indeed. Infact, Unlike others you presented a very encouraging picture. My current profile includes preparing financial models, forecasting etc....so shud be a good chance hopefully!

Thanks again
djhouse81 wrote:
deepakg wrote:
Hi Buddy,

Must be a great feeling once u graduate. To brief about me, i am a chartered accountant from India (equivalent to CPA in US). Of late i have been doing a lot of research on US Bschools. i m more inclined towards PE post MBA. my hunch is Columbia is strongly focussed towards finance and private equity. Just want to know whether my assessment is coorect. May i know what percentage of your batch got into PE post MBA and whther it was through internship there or some other way and what is the typical profile of a person who gets into PE. Thanks

djhouse81 wrote:
I have started Orienttion, and here are three adjectives that describe it: Amazing! Busy! Exhausting!

If I do not reply to questions, I apologize in advance, but I do not have a lot of time. I will try my best.

Sorry for not getting back to you sooner. I have had little to no free time for anything besides school lately.

To answer your question, if you want finance or PE, Columbia is right for you (or if you don't want either of those fields). I am already beginning to see why we get such great recruiting, and one reason is we are in the backyard of a lot of these firms. Also, the CBS network is amazing. To go out and do the legwork of getting into some of the PE firms is not as difficult because there are so many alums in so many of these firms.

I don't know this year's recruiting number yet, but PE usually is less than 10%. The reason why is it's non-traditional. I-banks and consultancies come on campus, do structured event, and it makes it easier for the students to get a job. For PE, you will have to put in the effort to find a firm and get a job. There are plenty out there (although fewer given the dried up credit markets). A lot of students don't want to take the risk of going for PE because they might end up with nothing. The head of the PE department at Columbia says that if you want it, you'll get it--career switcher or not. It's just up to you to put in the effort but the resources are there.

There typical profile is an i-banker because they already know how to build the models and do the valuations. However, there are plenty of students who have no finance experience. They might not get jobs at KKR or Blackstone, but there are plenty of boutiques that will higher someone from Columbia. That's all you need to be offiicially "in" the PE world.
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 291 [0]
Concentration: Investment Banking
Schools:Chicago (dinged), Tuck (November), Columbia (RD)
Send PM
djhouse81,

Can you please tell us about how recruiting is going at CBS this year? How is investment banking, consulting, investment management, etc. going? Are you seeing a lot of people who wanted investment banking switching over to consulting? Are you seeing the presence of a lot of boutique firms on campus?
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 72 [2]
Send PM
Kudos
agold wrote:
djhouse81,

Can you please tell us about how recruiting is going at CBS this year? How is investment banking, consulting, investment management, etc. going? Are you seeing a lot of people who wanted investment banking switching over to consulting? Are you seeing the presence of a lot of boutique firms on campus?

Sorry for not getting back to you sooner, agold. I've been decompressing during the break and now I am back at it prepping for IB interviews.

Recruiting is going very well this year. I am in the thick of it. I am prepping right now for i-banking interviews, and it is exhausting. Betweem technicals, fit, and why investment banking, there is a lot to cover.

Investment banks have cut down some of their closed lists, but there's no dearth of firms on campus except the ones you'd expect (i.e. Bear, BofA, Wachovia). All of the other big ones are still there, plus several boutiques. Apparently the number of those recruiting for i-banking has been cut in half because of the economy, which is great for those of us still going after IB. I think the difference moved over to consulting because there is a lot of recruits for that space. For consulting, the big firms and boutiques are all there, and they do not seem to be scaling back. It's hard to say, however, when job offers have not been given out yet. I will be able to tell you a lot more after next week. HOPEFULLY WITH SOME GOOD NEWS FOR ME!!!

The area that has been cut back the most is S&T for obvious reasons. If you got a handful of S&T interview invites this year you are a rockstar.

IM recruiters have been on campus en force, but it is very competitive for those jobs regardless of the economy. I think a lot more factors determine your success in that area than others. IB and consulting are more career switcher friendly, and they also play the recruiting game more. IM does not care about the recruiting game as much, and if you have CFA on your resume and great long/short stock pitches you are money. This is not hard and fast, but keep it in mind.

In the end, at Columbia recruiting is strong. We compete with H/W, and it helps to be in NY because you make a trip down to the firm's office to meet with them at a moments notice. The recruiting season adds about 1.5 classes to your schedule, which impinges upon your sleep if you intend on getting good grades at the same time. Just give it your all, never rest on your laurels, and keep in mind that there are thousands of people who would kill to be in your shoes sitting in front of GS or JPM. If you keep that in mind it acts as great fuel to push you through a grueling recruiting season, and in the end it will all be worth it because you'll have a job lined up!
SVP
SVP
Send PM
What an amazing and thoughtful post. Thank you. +1

Best of luck with IB recruiting and let us know how it goes! I submitted my app for CBS RD earlier this week and I am really excited about the school.
Current Student
Send PM
agold wrote:

Best of luck with IB recruiting and let us know how it goes! I submitted my app for CBS RD earlier this week and I am really excited about the school.

Good luck agold. If you end up visiting campus, let me know and I will show you around.

One more thought regarding IM recruiting. The IM recruiting done on campus is mostly mutual funds, such as Fidelity. If you want hedge funds, that might take more leg work because they tend to recruit off campus. They want people who are going to make the effort contacting them. I think this is especially true for the ones who are trying to navigate the economy right now. They do not need an intern, but one comes across their path who is right for the job they will hire. The funds that raised capital before the downturn and are navigating well are more likely to recruit on campus.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 642 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Concentration: Social Enterprise
Schools:Wharton'11 HBS'12
Send PM
There is a PE forum on CBS campus, on Jan16th I believe. Its a good time to visit campus and see how and whats going on in that industry. ..
SVP
SVP
Send PM
djhouse81 wrote:
agold wrote:

Good luck agold. If you end up visiting campus, let me know and I will show you around.

One more thought regarding IM recruiting. The IM recruiting done on campus is mostly mutual funds, such as Fidelity. If you want hedge funds, that might take more leg work because they tend to recruit off campus. They want people who are going to make the effort contacting them. I think this is especially true for the ones who are trying to navigate the economy right now. They do not need an intern, but one comes across their path who is right for the job they will hire. The funds that raised capital before the downturn and are navigating well are more likely to recruit on campus.

djhouse,

Thanks for all the insight. One more question if you don't mind - will a 710 GMAT hold you back at all during IM or IB recruiting? Do places like Goldman Sachs or Fidelity look for way higher scores? Do they even look at the Quant portion itself at all, or only the composite score?
Current Student
Send PM
fresinha12 wrote:
There is a PE forum on CBS campus, on Jan16th I believe. Its a good time to visit campus and see how and whats going on in that industry. ..

January 30th. I'll be there!
Current Student
Send PM
agold wrote:

djhouse,

Thanks for all the insight. One more question if you don't mind - will a 710 GMAT hold you back at all during IM or IB recruiting? Do places like Goldman Sachs or Fidelity look for way higher scores? Do they even look at the Quant ortion itself at all, or only the composite score?

No it won't at all. Of course a higher score makes you more attractive, but it hasn't hurt me nor all of the other 700's, 710's, etc. I speak on behalf of ibankers, of course.

For IM, since there are fewer jobs, it might make more of a difference. But for IM, the stock pitch is paramount. During recruiting you will set up informationals, and they will probably ask for a stock pitch. If you give them a good one, you're all set, if not--even with a 770--you're done. IM recruiting is not as structured and the competition is tougher for various reasons, such as the CFA designation is more prevalent.

If you want to do IBanking, your time is best spent now researching firms, formulating your pitch, getting familiar with the markets and economy, and getting ready to hit the ground running as soon as firms start recruiting. If you want to do IM, your time is best spent now researching long/short ideas and studying for your CFA. With a 710, your GMAT score is definitely not on your list of priorities.
SVP
SVP
Send PM
Thanks for the insight!
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Schools:Columbia, Haas, IESE, Yale, Fuqua, Darden, NYU, Georgetown
 Q44  V42
Send PM
Djhouse,
Thanks for the info thats good to know about the GMAT score and IM/IB. I've just applied to Coloumbia for 2009 admissions. Do you know how much weight the Columbia adcoms give to the CFA? I took and passed levels I (Dec 07) & II (June 08) this past year and am taking level III this June (fingers crossed). As a resut of: CFA study, work, gmat study & bschool essays I've had to put the rest of my life on hold this past year (read no extracurrulars over this last year).

djhouse81 wrote:
agold wrote:

djhouse,

Thanks for all the insight. One more question if you don't mind - will a 710 GMAT hold you back at all during IM or IB recruiting? Do places like Goldman Sachs or Fidelity look for way higher scores? Do they even look at the Quant ortion itself at all, or only the composite score?

No it won't at all. Of course a higher score makes you more attractive, but it hasn't hurt me nor all of the other 700's, 710's, etc. I speak on behalf of ibankers, of course.

For IM, since there are fewer jobs, it might make more of a difference. But for IM, the stock pitch is paramount. During recruiting you will set up informationals, and they will probably ask for a stock pitch. If you give them a good one, you're all set, if not--even with a 770--you're done. IM recruiting is not as structured and the competition is tougher for various reasons, such as the CFA designation is more prevalent.

If you want to do IBanking, your time is best spent now researching firms, formulating your pitch, getting familiar with the markets and economy, and getting ready to hit the ground running as soon as firms start recruiting. If you want to do IM, your time is best spent now researching long/short ideas and studying for your CFA. With a 710, your GMAT score is definitely not on your list of priorities.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 72 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
smokedpotatoes wrote:
Djhouse,
Thanks for the info thats good to know about the GMAT score and IM/IB. I've just applied to Coloumbia for 2009 admissions. Do you know how much weight the Columbia adcoms give to the CFA? I took and passed levels I (Dec 07) & II (June 08) this past year and am taking level III this June (fingers crossed). As a resut of: CFA study, work, gmat study & bschool essays I've had to put the rest of my life on hold this past year (read no extracurrulars over this last year).

I don't have a firm answer on this, but I could speculate. Adcoms know that IM loves CFA's, so from the business side of running a bschool it makes you more attractive to recruiters and therefore more attractive to the school. I also think adcoms know the prestige of a CFA, so that makes you attractive as an overall candidate. Does it replace a good background, GMAT score, and GPA? No. I think it just gives the adcoms a little more confirmation that you are a strong applicant, and another indisputable reason to admit you.

By the way, CFA candidates who have passed even level I have so on there resume. If you can pass III before school, that will really set you apart from other students recruiting from IM and the like. Go get 'em!
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Schools:Columbia, Haas, IESE, Yale, Fuqua, Darden, NYU, Georgetown
 Q44  V42
Send PM
djhouse81,
Thanks for the info. My fingers are crossed for level III. Level II was brutal
SP
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Send PM
Djhouse81,

For the stock pitch - are IM and S&T guys looking for a 90-second sum up of the industry outlook, company, and attractive metrics (low p/e ratio, low debt, great growth) OR 10-15 minute in-depth analysis? Is it correct to assume that it's more about your reasoning (how you came to the conclusion) than the stock itself?

Also, do IMs and HFs follow the same recruitment time line as, say, bulge bracket firms? On a few other boards, I read that their recruitment process kicks off later in the year (after IB, S&T and MC offers have been made) and that students have to take initiative to land interviews/gigs at these firms.

Thanks for these wonderful insights - hope your interviews are going well!

djhouse81 wrote:

Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 72 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
jwizard wrote:
Djhouse81,

For the stock pitch - are IM and S&T guys looking for a 90-second sum up of the industry outlook, company, and attractive metrics (low p/e ratio, low debt, great growth) OR 10-15 minute in-depth analysis? Is it correct to assume that it's more about your reasoning (how you came to the conclusion) than the stock itself?

Also, do IMs and HFs follow the same recruitment time line as, say, bulge bracket firms? On a few other boards, I read that their recruitment process kicks off later in the year (after IB, S&T and MC offers have been made) and that students have to take initiative to land interviews/gigs at these firms.

Thanks for these wonderful insights - hope your interviews are going well!

The stock pitch that they are looking for could be the entire interview. Most people have prepared a few long/short, so they are prepared for any number of questions about stock picks. And, you are correct, it is more about the reasoning than the stock itself. The stock pitch process is very involved, and it can take months to familiarize yourself with the stock, the industry, and various other trends and economic factors. The people I know who are going for IM jobs know their stuff when it comes to stock pitches.

You are once again correct, IM/HF/PE recruitment is more candidate initiated. However, I think CBS gets a fair amount of on campus recruiting in these areas because it is in NY and the school attracts very good candidates for IM/HF/PE firms. However, most of the IM recruiting done on campus is with the buldge firms like Fidelity, PIMCO, DE Shaw, etc. If you want to work at other firms you will have the take the initiative. As far as timing goes, on campus recruiting is happening now with other IB and consulting on campus recruiting, but they take their time when it comes to making final decisions on offers--while IB and consulting comes to pretty swift decisions. If they do not recruit on campus, the recruiting starts deeper into second semester. The reasoning, and this applies especially to this economy, is that firms want to get closer to the summer to determine whether they need a summer intern.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Send PM
In general, how much tougher is it to break into HF than IM? If one does not have finance experience pre-mba, will it be tough getting interviews with HFs?

Sorry for badgering you with all these questions but thanks for being so helpful. You're sick (+1).

djhouse81 wrote:
The stock pitch that they are looking for could be the entire interview. Most people have prepared a few long/short, so they are prepared for any number of questions about stock picks. And, you are correct, it is more about the reasoning than the stock itself. The stock pitch process is very involved, and it can take months to familiarize yourself with the stock, the industry, and various other trends and economic factors. The people I know who are going for IM jobs know their stuff when it comes to stock pitches.

You are once again correct, IM/HF/PE recruitment is more candidate initiated. However, I think CBS gets a fair amount of on campus recruiting in these areas because it is in NY and the school attracts very good candidates for IM/HF/PE firms. However, most of the IM recruiting done on campus is with the buldge firms like Fidelity, PIMCO, DE Shaw, etc. If you want to work at other firms you will have the take the initiative. As far as timing goes, on campus recruiting is happening now with other IB and consulting on campus recruiting, but they take their time when it comes to making final decisions on offers--while IB and consulting comes to pretty swift decisions. If they do not recruit on campus, the recruiting starts deeper into second semester. The reasoning, and this applies especially to this economy, is that firms want to get closer to the summer to determine whether they need a summer intern.
Current Student
Send PM
jwizard wrote:
In general, how much tougher is it to break into HF than IM? If one does not have finance experience pre-mba, will it be tough getting interviews with HFs?

Sorry for badgering you with all these questions but thanks for being so helpful. You're sick (+1).

Keep the questions coming, I'm happy to help where I can. It is tough to get either interview without finance experience. Is it absolutely impossible? No. But it's a long shot. To put it in perspective, at top schools there are dozens of students with IM/HF/IB/PE backgrounds and other excellent stats on their resumes. IM and HF firms are going to want those people first, and there are not than many spots to begin with.

Your best bet if you have no finance experience is to shoot for a non-paying summer internship with a HF. There are plenty of those out there, especially in this economy. In the end, you get the experience, and that is validation enoguh for recruiters to want you for a full-time position come graduation. If unpaid does not work for you, but you still want to go after IM and HF then you need to start preparing immediately. You want to start reaching out to firms, maybe do a summer internship before you start school, read up on stock pitches, start prepping for the CFA, etc. I believe that if you want something bad enough then the effort you put forth will shine through to recruiters. They want someone on board who has unbridled enthusiasm because that translates into solid work.

To sum up, it is not impossible to get a HF/IM internship without finance, but it is rarely seen.
GMAT Club Bot
   1   2   3   4   5   6