Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 03:36 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 03:36

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 41 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
 Q49  V41
Send PM
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 155 [0]
Given Kudos: 9
Concentration: Finance
Schools:Kellogg Class of 2011
 Q48  V39
Send PM
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 806 [0]
Given Kudos: 5
Concentration: General/Operations Management
Schools:Kellogg Alum: Class of 2010
 Q49  V42
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 28 [0]
Given Kudos: 6
Concentration: Finance
Schools:Columbia Business School Class of 2012
Send PM
Re: Calling all Kellogg Fall 2009 Applicants! [#permalink]
submitted Kellogg!
now have to call admissions for an on-campus interview.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 39 [1]
Schools:Kellogg MMM, Class of 2011
Send PM
Kudos
Even though I added my name to this list a few days ago, I just submitted my applications with 45 minutes to spare, and I’m an emotional wreck.

I didn’t manage to send my essays out to a couple of friends until late Sunday night, and the feedback from the most honest of the bunch was brutal - essays 2 and 4C sucked, and the rest weren’t much better. I knew he was right. My answers were simply rote recitations of my qualifications and experiences, most of which I repeated multiple times.

I had to work all day Monday, and the question of what to do weighed on my mind. I didn’t even get a chance to start again until 1:00 a.m. (I’m on the other side of the world), and by that time, I was so exhausted I could barely focus on the computer screen. I had nothing except for the brutal truth of who I was and what was in my heart.

You hear it at every event and chat - “Be yourself, be honest, don’t write what you think we want to hear,” etc. I thought I had followed that advice. But as I sat on my couch, on the verge of going 0 for 3 for the first round, I had no choice but to write from the heart. The result was nothing but honest monkbent.

I don’t know if I’ll get into Kellogg, but there’s no question this set of essays is by far my best. I woke to an email from my father saying my new essay two was ‘electric,’and while he is obviously biased, there’s no question it conveys my experiences and what I have to offer in a far better fashion than the crap I shoveled up the first time. Inspired by his comments I tore up essay four and wrote about my most personal struggle and life lesson. It’s a lesson very much related to my struggles yesterday, and as I reviewed what I had written I was nearly moved to tears.

I’ve heard a lot of talk about the special environment at Kellogg, as well as discussion about how Kellogg’s essays were different. I realize now that both are interconnected, and the searing experience of the last 12 hours has done more to sell me on Kellogg than any brochure ever could. Kellogg’s application helped show me what makes me tick, and for that I’ll be grateful whether I am admitted or not (and to be clear, there are things that attract me to all of the schools I have applied to).

I guess this is an example of how things work out for the best. Kellogg was my original first choice - if I were crafting the ideal program, it would look exactly like MMM. However, I got completely off track (for example - I’m definitely NOT a Chicago guy), and Kellogg got pushed to the second round. I’m glad it did, though, because this entire application experience has been so vital for me that something submitted in Round 1 wouldn’t have had nearly the degree of honesty and emotional resonance my application now has. I just wish I could redo my other apps...

Anyhow, sorry for the long post, and good luck to everyone who made it in for Round 2.

Originally posted by monkbent on 12 Jan 2009, 23:26.
Last edited by monkbent on 13 Jan 2009, 00:28, edited 2 times in total.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 36 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Schools:Kellogg (R2), UCLA (R2)
Send PM
Steel wrote:
Travel09 wrote:
One of my recommenders has not submitted the reco yet. He said he is still working on it. But I think he just started it. I'm hoping he will get in done in time and write a good reco too.

BTW Will Kellogg consider my app for round 2 if my recommender submits 4-6 hours after the deadline.

Yup! They'll consider you in Round 2 - they know recommenders aren't necessarily 100% on time.

Thanks for confirming that.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 408 [0]
Given Kudos: 34
Concentration: Sustainable Development
Schools:Ross '12 (MBA/MS)
 Q49  V45
Send PM
I made it with 55 minutes to spare. Can't say I'm too optimistic about my chances, but stranger things have happpened...right? :yes

GL all you R2'ers!
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 31 [1]
Given Kudos: 10
Concentration: General Management; High Tech; Entrepreneurship
Schools:Kellogg School of Management
 Q50  V41
Send PM
Kudos
monkbent wrote:
Even though I added my name to this list a few days ago, I just submitted my applications with 45 minutes to spare, and I’m an emotional wreck.

I didn’t manage to send my essays out to a couple of friends until late Sunday night, and the feedback from the most honest of the bunch was brutal - essays 2 and 4C sucked, and the rest weren’t much better. I knew he was right. My answers were simply rote recitations of my qualifications and experiences, most of which I repeated multiple times.

I had to work all day Monday, and the question of what to do weighed on my mind. I didn’t even get a chance to start again until 1:00 a.m. (I’m on the other side of the world), and by that time, I was so exhausted I could barely focus on the computer screen. I had nothing except for the brutal truth of who I was and what was in my heart.

You hear it at every event and chat - “Be yourself, be honest, don’t write what you think we want to hear,” etc. I thought I had followed that advice. But as I sat on my couch, on the verge of going 0 for 3 for the first round, I had no choice but to write from the heart. The result was nothing but honest monkbent.

I don’t know if I’ll get into Kellogg, but there’s no question this set of essays is by far my best. I woke to an email from my father saying my new essay two was ‘electric,’and while he is obviously biased, there’s no question it conveys my experiences and what I have to offer in a far better fashion than the crap I shoveled up the first time. Inspired by his comments I tore up essay four and wrote about my most personal struggle and life lesson. It’s a lesson very much related to my struggles yesterday, and as I reviewed what I had written I was nearly moved to tears.

I’ve heard a lot of talk about the special environment at Kellogg, as well as discussion about how Kellogg’s essays were different. I realize now that both are interconnected, and the searing experience of the last 12 hours has done more to sell me on Kellogg than any brochure ever could. Kellogg’s application helped show me what makes me tick, and for that I’ll be grateful whether I am admitted or not (and to be clear, there are things that attract me to all of the schools I have applied to).

I guess this is an example of how things work out for the best. Kellogg was my original first choice - if I were crafting the ideal program, it would look exactly like MMM. However, I got completely off track (for example - I’m definitely NOT a Chicago guy), and Kellogg got pushed to the second round. I’m glad it did, though, because this entire application experience has been so vital for me that something submitted in Round 1 wouldn’t have had nearly the degree of honesty and emotional resonance my application now has. I just wish I could redo my other apps...

Anyhow, sorry for the long post, and good luck to everyone who made it in for Round 2.

This may cheer you up.

I felt exactly the same way about my essays. They told my personal stories and showed them who I was. Poured my guts into it. People who read the applications told me they were written extremely well and were fascinating, but they did not answer the questions in full. They were not what they thought Kellogg expected. There was no namedropping, no "I want to be a part of KWEST" and no other standard stuff that appears in many essays. I was just me telling them who I truly was and why I would fit in at Kellogg.

When I went back to read the essays a short while after filing them in, I was emotionally shocked - I couldn't believe I had revealed so much personal information to total strangers. I couldn't believe I let handed in essays that strayed from the standard that my advisors guided me through - and also exposed some weaknesses I wasn't sure I should have mentioned.

My interview was originally waived. I was later invited to interview by phone. Got admitted on the 15th of December. In retrospect, I am sure that it was the personal side of my essays that earned me that admit - as on paper there are many better candidates.

I've got a feeling you have a good shot my friend.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 7 [0]
Concentration: Tech, GM
Schools:Berkeley (R1\WL), Kellogg (R2)
Send PM
I also submitted to Kellogg MMM on round 2.
Good luck everyone!
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 39 [0]
Schools:Kellogg MMM, Class of 2011
Send PM
Gil wrote:
This may cheer you up.

I felt exactly the same way about my essays. They told my personal stories and showed them who I was. Poured my guts into it. People who read the applications told me they were written extremely well and were fascinating, but they did not answer the questions in full. They were not what they thought Kellogg expected. There was no namedropping, no "I want to be a part of KWEST" and no other standard stuff that appears in many essays. I was just me telling them who I truly was and why I would fit in at Kellogg.

When I went back to read the essays a short while after filing them in, I was emotionally shocked - I couldn't believe I had revealed so much personal information to total strangers. I couldn't believe I let handed in essays that strayed from the standard that my advisors guided me through - and also exposed some weaknesses I wasn't sure I should have mentioned.

My interview was originally waived. I was later invited to interview by phone. Got admitted on the 15th of December. In retrospect, I am sure that it was the personal side of my essays that earned me that admit - as on paper there are many better candidates.

Thanks for the post Gil - I hope you're right. Incidentally, I don't really need cheering up - I'm thrilled. I was an emotional wreck, but the effect was more that of a giddy school girl! The one thing I'm sad about is that it took until my last top school to figure it all out...

Anyhow, I really appreciate you sharing your experience. Really, really good stuff, and I can definitely relate. Congratulations, and I hope I join you. Here's to being classmates next fall!
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 31 [0]
 Q50  V41
Send PM
Definitely! Good luck and keep us updated.
Gil
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 642 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Concentration: Social Enterprise
Schools:Wharton'11 HBS'12
Send PM
Reading Gil's post made me realize i wrote such typical kellogg essays..i mean 1 sentence on KWEST, but river really sold me on that .. exotic locations, studet organized..how can one NOT talk about this? but I further talked about Kellogg Corp, which is closer to my heart..all in all..i realize i have written such typical kellogg essays...

Gil wrote:

This may cheer you up.

Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 332 [0]
Send PM
fresinha12 wrote:
Reading Gil's post made me realize i wrote such typical kellogg essays..i mean 1 sentence on KWEST, but river really sold me on that .. exotic locations, studet organized..how can one NOT talk about this? but I further talked about Kellogg Corp, which is closer to my heart..all in all..i realize i have written such typical kellogg essays...

Gil wrote:

This may cheer you up.

Mine was a mix of both. These 5 essays were so exhaustive. It actually makes you search your soul and I had to do lots of thinking. IMO, the soul searching and research is 90% and putting them down on the paper is remaining 10%. On the essays I did a good job on the former, turned out great. Ofcourse, I will be sad if I didn't get in, but this has been one heck of an experience.
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 254 [0]
Given Kudos: 17
Concentration: Health Enterprise Management, Marketing, Strategy, Finance, Analytical Consulting, Economics
Schools:Kellogg Class of 2011
Send PM
fresinha12 wrote:

I wouldn't worry too much. After reading Gil's post I would say my essays were pretty typical as well. They are true to who I am in that they convey my goals and motivation for pursuing an MBA at Kellogg, but as I re-read them I would have to say that the way I wrote them was not very passionate, and I definitely followed what would look like a typical outline for application essays. I think the quality of what you have to say is what makes the difference, if your essays convey a good story with passion it's a bonus.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
 Q50  V41
Send PM
NJMike4MBA wrote:
fresinha12 wrote:

I wouldn't worry too much. After reading Gil's post I would say my essays were pretty typical as well. They are true to who I am in that they convey my goals and motivation for pursuing an MBA at Kellogg, but as I re-read them I would have to say that the way I wrote them was not very passionate, and I definitely followed what would look like a typical outline for application essays. I think the quality of what you have to say is what makes the difference, if your essays convey a good story with passion it's a bonus.

Hey - I definitely didn't mean anything bad about including the standard stuff - it probably work better than being too original or missing the questions. I took a big risk because I had to cover for some weaknesses (age, GPA) and it happened to work out with Kellogg. Definitely did not work out with Wharton (not even interviewed).

There are many ways to write good essays!
Manager
Manager
Send PM
I did not get a chance to visit kellogg during or prior to the application process. I submitted my app for R2 and have requested for an off-campus interview. I did not get my interview date yet. I was wondering, will the adcoms or even the interviewer see this negatively. Should I schedule an on-campus interview instead? I understand that, visiting the school shows how much one is interested; unfortunately I didn't get a chance to. What do you guys suggest. I live in west coast. So, I don't have any valid reason not to have visited.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Concentration: Finance - Real Estate
Schools:Chicago (R2), Kellogg (R2), Tuck (R1), Darden (R1), Cornell (R1), Texas (R2), Rice (R1)
Send PM
I dont think u need to worry. Kellogg has stated time and again that they do not view not coming to campus negatively. Btw, as far as the interview invite is concerned, be sure to directly check ur app status! I dint receive any emails and saw that my interview letter was sent 10 days ago.

Best of luck!

leonidas wrote:
I did not get a chance to visit kellogg during or prior to the application process. I submitted my app for R2 and have requested for an off-campus interview. I did not get my interview date yet. I was wondering, will the adcoms or even the interviewer see this negatively. Should I schedule an on-campus interview instead? I understand that, visiting the school shows how much one is interested; unfortunately I didn't get a chance to. What do you guys suggest. I live in west coast. So, I don't have any valid reason this time (like an international student).
Manager
Manager
Send PM
traffix wrote:
I dont think u need to worry. Kellogg has stated time and again that they do not view not coming to campus negatively. Btw, as far as the interview invite is concerned, be sure to directly check ur app status! I dint receive any emails and saw that my interview letter was sent 10 days ago.

Best of luck!

Thanks for the input. the app status says:

Kellogg Status Check

Thank you for your interest in the Kellogg School of Management.

After Part II of your application has been submitted, the next update will confirm whether or not all application materials have been received. Due to the high volume of applications that are submitted near the application deadline, please allow several weeks of process time for our staff to match all materials sent under separate cover and to verify all required items have arrived. As applications are processed daily, we recommend periodically checking the status between 4:00 p.m. and 5:00 p.m. Central Standard Time, Monday through Friday.

No mention about the interview so far.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 36 [0]
Schools:Kellogg (R2), UCLA (R2)
Send PM
leonidas wrote:
Thanks for the input. the app status says:

Kellogg Status Check

Thank you for your interest in the Kellogg School of Management.

After Part II of your application has been submitted, the next update will confirm whether or not all application materials have been received. Due to the high volume of applications that are submitted near the application deadline, please allow several weeks of process time for our staff to match all materials sent under separate cover and to verify all required items have arrived. As applications are processed daily, we recommend periodically checking the status between 4:00 p.m. and 5:00 p.m. Central Standard Time, Monday through Friday.

No mention about the interview so far.

How are you checking your application status?
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Travel09 wrote:
How are you checking your application status?

Using the Pin and Password recieved by email (when one submits Part I)
GMAT Club Bot
   1  ...  89   90   91   92   93  ...  115   
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6920 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts