Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 06:41 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 06:41

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 686 [507]
Given Kudos: 1
Concentration: sustainability, social enterprise, design
Schools:Erb Institute: Ross | SNRE
 Q49  V44
Send PM
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 42 [6]
Given Kudos: 11
Concentration: Energy, Analytical Finance, Strategy
Schools:Kellogg Class of 2012
WE 1: Energy Risk Consulting
WE 2: Commodities Finance
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 18 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 48 [2]
Concentration: Organization and Management
Schools:Emory class of 2010
 Q49  V44
Send PM
Re: Good books to read prior to MBA [#permalink]
Bookmarks
I recommend, of course an Emory author, Nathan McCall's Them. It's an interesting read, and a great book to invoke discussion amongst peers who view the world differently.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 156 [2]
Given Kudos: 29
Concentration: Brand
Schools:Cornell '11
 Q47  V40
Send PM
Kudos
Twilight. If you dont <3 Edward Cullen by the end, you have no heart.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 85 [2]
Concentration: Finance
Schools:Wharton, Booth, Stern
 Q49  V42
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
My view about reading is read only what you like. Sounds trivial, but it's amazing how some people force themselves to read crap just because it's about "management", "leadership" or "communication" (or any other buzz word).

Here's what I'm reading atm or have recently read:

- The accidental investment banker - Jonathan Knee: pretty funny; give you a very good idea over the Ibank world. Not great though.

- Harrington on Hold 'em Expert Strategy for No Limit Tournaments - Dan Harrington (3 tomes). Probably the best books out there on NL Holdem tournament strategy. He also wrote 2 tomes about cash game, but I haven't read those yet.

- Read 'em and reap 'em - Phil Hellmuth and Joe Navarro. Poker book about tells, it's not bad till now.

Books I'm planning to read:

- Damn it feels good to be a banker - And Other Baller Things You Only Get to Say If You Work On Wall Street - by Leveraged Sellout (it looks brilliant if it's the same quality as the blog)

- Black Swan - supposed to be great

- The snowball - Biography about Warren Buffet

- Barbarians at the gate (although I'm not looking really forward to reading that one - any opinions?)

Great thread btw.

Originally posted by Audio on 13 Jan 2009, 12:22.
Last edited by Audio on 13 Jan 2009, 12:26, edited 1 time in total.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 85 [1]
 Q49  V42
Send PM
Bookmarks
Praet, is the HBS book about how BS lost their way any good? Looks interesting, what's your opinion?
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 85 [0]
 Q49  V42
Send PM
triple5soul wrote:
Jeffrey Sachs - The End of Poverty & Common Wealth
Jospeh E Stiglitz - All
Ishmael Beah - A long way gone (not for the faint-hearted; story of a young boy in Africa)
Fareed Zakaria - The post American World

These books are some of my favorite (books that "open" the mind).

I like Fareed Zakaria, how's his book: worth it? What is the orientation of the book?

PS: in the future, if you recommend a book, please also add a brief description just to have an idea (yes I could check it on Amazon but I'm too lazy :-D )
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 155 [1]
Given Kudos: 9
Schools:Kellogg Class of 2011
 Q48  V39
Send PM
Bookmarks
Audio wrote:
- Barbarians at the gate (although I'm not looking really forward to reading that one - any opinions?)
Great thread btw.

I read it my senior year in college. It really is a must read. I thought it was great and included all of the major Wall Street legends, Kravis, Wasserstein, Fortsman, Lipton, etc. I would also recommend:

- Den of Thieves
- The Last Tycoons
- Atlas Shrugged
- When Genius Failed

-All good finance classics. The Last Tycoons is REALLY long, but I enjoyed reading about Felix Rohatyn and Andre Meyer, who are some real legends on Wall Street.
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 233 [2]
Given Kudos: 2
Concentration: Social Enterprise
Schools:The Duke MBA, Class of 2009
Send PM
Bookmarks
Travels of a T-shirt - is pretty fun, written by a prof at georgetown - she explores the global economy (and the institutions that govern it) by following the creation, life, and death of your average t-shirt.

The Goal - is something you'll probably read in your ops class. the best textbook ever, the worst novel ever. i'm a closet ops geek, so i dug it.

Super Crunchers - is all about the way that math (mostly stats) is changing the way the world works. a decent look at regression and other tools.

Predictably Irrational is by a fuqua prof that is a total boy genius. it's behavioral econ.

No Logo is a bit dated but a lovely attack on globalization. if i weren't already too old, i'd grow up to be naomi klein.

Why We Buy by paco underhill. if you have any interest in running a business that is consumer-facing (CPG, banking, retail, restaurants, the post office) this is a must-read. or if you just wanna know why the bananas are where they are in the grocery store.

these are all biz books, but here you go.

You might also like to see what gmatclubbers of days goneby recommended: p324431#324431
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 291 [1]
Concentration: Investment Banking
Schools:Chicago (dinged), Tuck (November), Columbia (RD)
Send PM
Kudos
I recently finished Blue Blood and Mutiny: The Fight for the soul of Morgan Stanley by Patricia Beard. Highly recommended as another Finance one to add to the list.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 32 [0]
Given Kudos: 9
Schools:Harvard Business School, Stanford
Send PM
are there any free ebooks that I can download to read?
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 31 [2]
Given Kudos: 3
Concentration: Media/Entertainment
Schools:Kellogg, Emory, Booth, Yale, Cornell, Duke
 Q49  V40
Send PM
Kudos