Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 13:04 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 13:04

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 408 [1]
Given Kudos: 34
Concentration: Sustainable Development
Schools:Ross '12 (MBA/MS)
 Q49  V45
Send PM
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 156 [1]
Given Kudos: 6
Schools:Tuck
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 231 [0]
Send PM
Re: official GMAt score before round deadline [#permalink]
I think Wharton only requires 'self-report' until applicants get accepted (I read this from their admission chat..correct me if I recalled the wrong school).
Any other school that doesn't require official report at the time of application?
I'm trying to figure which 5 schools I need to send my free report on when I do the GMAT.
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 779 [1]
Given Kudos: 548
Schools:Yale SOM 2011 Alum, Kellogg, Booth, Tuck
 Q44  V50
WE 1: IB - Restructuring & Distressed M&A
Send PM
Bookmarks
This depends on the school. Most schools never even check your GMAT score until after you accept their admit offer. They check this score at the same time they run your background check.

There are 2 types of schools:

Type 1 = They actually print out the official score as part of your application package before your package goes to adcom for review. (minority in numbers)

Type 2 = They rely on score that you report on the bschool application. Then check your score after you accept their offer. This is done because there are so many applicants and adcoms can't check everyone's score before every review. (majority in numbers)

Source of this information: GMAC rep who came to one of my MGMAT sponsored info-session
Manager
Manager
Send PM
I see...
So typically you don't need to send any official score report?..because schools are the ones that will ask for it when they decide to admit us?
was that your experience on the schools you're applying to?
Or do you still need to send official report before you submit apps anyway (just so it's ready when schools need to check it) ?
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 779 [0]
Given Kudos: 548
Schools:Yale SOM 2011 Alum, Kellogg, Booth, Tuck
 Q44  V50
WE 1: IB - Restructuring & Distressed M&A
Send PM
cul3s wrote:
I see...
So typically you don't need to send any official score report?..because schools are the ones that will ask for it when they decide to admit us?
was that your experience on the schools you're applying to?
Or do you still need to send official report before you submit apps anyway (just so it's ready when schools need to check it) ?

No. You still have to send the score to the school. Otherwise, they can't pull the score from the system. Just think of it as schools checking their mailbox late. But the mail has to get to their mailbox on time - no matter what.

As long as you know your score, report the right score on the application. If it is just matter of paying GMAC whatever the fee they charge per school (if you are sending the score after you took the test and it is no longer free), yes - you can put that request in around the deadline. Each school takes more than a week to gather your app package together anyway during processing. From my experience, the score arrives at the score in about 3 business days even though they say it might take up to 2 wks.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Schools:Johnson, CBS, Ross[R2], Haas [R2]
 Q47  V35
Send PM
Hi,
Two questions to you guys:
1) I already submitted my applications and my official GMAT scores and currently I'm waiting on admission decisions. While I'm waiting, I'm considering retaking the GMAT to improve my score, however in case I end up doing worse, will the schools be able to see this new score or will they just refer to the snapshot of the scores that I previously sent to them (this is assuming that this time around I do not select the option of automatically submitting my new result to the schools during the exam)?
2) How negatively it'll be looked upon if I decided to leave the AWA section blank? I got a 5.5 and a 6.0 in my prior attempts, however I want to focus on improving my Q and V sections. I've heard of people leaving their AWA sections empty and still gaining admissions to top schools in some cases, but I want to hear more opinions.
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 254 [0]
Given Kudos: 17
Concentration: Health Enterprise Management, Marketing, Strategy, Finance, Analytical Consulting, Economics
Schools:Kellogg Class of 2011
Send PM
tal wrote:
1) I already submitted my applications and my official GMAT scores and currently I'm waiting on admission decisions. While I'm waiting, I'm considering retaking the GMAT to improve my score, however in case I end up doing worse, will the schools be able to see this new score or will they just refer to the snapshot of the scores that I previously sent to them (this is assuming that this time around I do not select the option of automatically submitting my new result to the schools during the exam)?

If you send your scores to a school they usually can see your entire testing history, so I would think if you retook the exam before they pull your scores from the database they'd see the new scores. Most schools will only consider the score you self-report and use the official score report to check that the score you reported is authentic. It's hard to say if you retake the GMAT after submitting the application whether the adcom will use the score you reported or the newer, higher score.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
I don't know how bad it will be looked upon..but I wouldn't recommend blanking that AWA.
Schools will notice that you gain an unfair advantage by 'gaming' the test anyway.
So your higher score might be questioned.
Remember that the point of GMAT is for school to evaluate all applicants using the same standard test.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Schools:Johnson, CBS, Ross[R2], Haas [R2]
 Q47  V35
Send PM
Thanks for your responses, guys.
I spoke to a few more people and decided that it's probably not a great idea to blank that AWA section after all.
Veritas Prep Admissions Consultant
Own Kudos [?]: 340 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
Expert Reply
Make sure you just submit all of the information from test day prior to the submission deadline of your school. Be complete and do not leave any information empty. Once you get your official scores send that into the school as well.Typically schools will request the official scores up on admission so technically you do not need to send the official scores until then
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 321 [0]
Given Kudos: 198
WE:General Management (Other)
Send PM
VeritasPrepDozie wrote:
Make sure you just submit all of the information from test day prior to the submission deadline of your school. Be complete and do not leave any information empty. Once you get your official scores send that into the school as well.Typically schools will request the official scores up on admission so technically you do not need to send the official scores until then

I have not sent the official score report through GMAC, when a college only specified "unofficial score report" requirement. Also, on the application status page, for GMAT scores - shows "received"

I hope this means I do not need to send the official report until admission.

Please advise if that's correct.
Veritas Prep Admissions Consultant
Own Kudos [?]: 340 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
Expert Reply
You only have to send the official score reports at the time of admission
Non-Human User
Own Kudos [?]: 40 [0]
Send PM
Hello from the GMAT Club MBAbot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
GMAT Club Bot