Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 15:31 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 15:31

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 223 [0]
Given Kudos: 22
Concentration: General Management
Schools:NYU Stern '11
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 233 [0]
Given Kudos: 6
Concentration: Finance (Corp Fin, Financial Instruments)
Schools:NYU Stern 2009
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Current Student
Send PM
Re: Calling all NYU Fall '09 applicants! [#permalink]
Summer Start people are interviewed to Summer Start. A small number of regular applicants (read - those not earmarked for Summer Start) are given the possibility to switch into the program, though it is not guaranteed.

I believe a Summer Start interview means you are only going to be admitted to Summer Start. Personally, from what I have seen the whole experience from the program is hugely beneficial, develops a really tight bunch of friends who do get strongly involved in the clubs and government of the school. It is a great program with lots of leadership development work and stuff.
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 223 [0]
Thanks for clarifying MBARunner, and good luck with your Summer Start interview. To echo what 3underscore said, I think I've also heard of applicants being invited to a Summer Start interview before the traditional application interview - I will however hope for your sake, that you're not asked to interview twice! :)

Do let us know how things go, please.

3underscore - I'm glad you think so highly of the program. I'm just waiting for my enrollment deposit to clear, and I'll turn in my application to Summer Start, too. Would you happen to know what typically distinguishes an applicant invited to interview for Summer Start, and another who isn't and is asked to apply separately? I'm just curious.

I think we'll see a lot of decisions later this week. I know there are usually a lot of interviews at the SWIB Conference, which concluded this past Friday. So, good luck to anyone who interviewed there last week.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Solaris: congrats on being accepted. Irrespective of the summer start decision - you have already passed the biggest hurdle that most of us are facing thus far - getting accepted to one of your top choices!

Admissions did say that Summer Start applicants are automatically enrolled in the Fall '09 class and do not have to come back for a second interview. Although I am not sure how the semantics work if you get denied for the Summer Start, but still happen to meet the criteria for regular admission. Will keep you posted.

Not sure what the criteria is. Without divulging too much information: I work in the HF industry / graduated top of my class from a non-ivy school / slightly less than 5 years work experience / LIII candidate in the CFA program (crossing my fingers that I will pass this June)

3underscore: thanks for all the helpful information. I was involved in leadership activities during my undergrad studies and would definitely be interested in keeping that streak alive.
Intern
Intern
Schools:USC (accepted), Yale (WL), NYU, Georgetown, UC Davis (w/d), UCLA (ding), Berkeley (ding)
Send PM
I was invited to interview but not specifically for summer start. Does that mean I would have to apply separately for summer start if I'm accepted, or are some people automatically admitted?

I would think I would be a good candidate for this program because I have never taken a business class in my life! But NYU didn't mention anything about summer start in my invite.
Current Student
Send PM
You interview once - Summer Start interviews are for the MBA program, but the summer start section of things.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 15 [0]
Concentration: Entrepreneurship
Schools:Rady School of Management at UC San Diego GO TRITONS
 Q49  V44
Send PM
Ding w/o interview. Ouch!
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Concentration: Entrepreneurship & Venture Capital
Schools:Chicago, MIT, NYU, UCLA
 Q48  V40
Send PM
I am a R2 international applicant and still have not received anything...

If I'll get an interview invite, I guess that I will have to fly out to NY. Since the decision deadline is April 1 and since I believe that the adcom will need a couple of weeks after the interview to evaluate my candidacy, it seems that, if I do get invited, I will have to conduct my interview until about March 16-17.

It is going to be extremely difficult to book a flight and accomodations in such a short notice (bookingwise and workwise...) - why don't they release decisions regarding international applicants earlier? Come to think of it, if I did not receive an invite so far (being an international applicant) - does that mean I will receive a ding?

PS I submitted my application on the deadline date.
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 779 [0]
Given Kudos: 548
Schools:Yale SOM 2011 Alum, Kellogg, Booth, Tuck
 Q44  V50
WE 1: IB - Restructuring & Distressed M&A
Send PM
rjacobs wrote:
Ding w/o interview. Ouch!

That truly sux.
But you have other options. Don't be too disappointed.
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Entrepreneurship & Venture Capital
Schools:Chicago, MIT, NYU, UCLA
 Q48  V40
Send PM
Just received my interview invite from Stern :)
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 14 [0]
Given Kudos: 7
Concentration: Finance
Schools:Yale SOM 2011
 Q44  V42
Send PM
GandalftheGrey wrote:
Just received my interview invite from Stern :)

Congrats... I'm still waiting for thumbs up or down.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
wow, 17 grand!! how much can NYC cost for 6 weeks of rent!! I mean, you'd have to buy those books anyway, right? I have health insurance, so I wont need NYUs. How does that work, do you get a refund? I'm not in at NYU but still hoping for summer start! but where do the costs of $17 come in! Maybe I could bunk with my parents, ugh!
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 223 [1]
Kudos
Here's the Summer Start "cost of attendance," as calculated by MBA Financial Aid. It seems pretty generous, most likely to allow you borrow a more than sufficient amount in loans for the summer.

Estimated Budget for Summer 2009

Tuition & Fees for 6 credits: $11,668
Room and Board: $4,321
Books and Supplies: $365
Local Travel: $162
Miscellaneous: $963
Total Budget: $17,479

Mclaughlin wrote:
wow, 17 grand!! how much can NYC cost for 6 weeks of rent!! I mean, you'd have to buy those books anyway, right? I have health insurance, so I wont need NYUs. How does that work, do you get a refund? I'm not in at NYU but still hoping for summer start! but where do the costs of $17 come in! Maybe I could bunk with my parents, ugh!
Current Student
Send PM
Interesting they present summer start that way - $11k of it is just a rescheduling of your fees because of classes (you will take 12 credits rather than 15 for two semesters, recouping about $8k of the money).

There is a bunch of other stuff involved that I am led to believe is worth the money. I have yet to meet a summer start student who hasn't been anything but full of praise for the program.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Still waiting a response here as well.

My interview did not go as well as I initially had planned. I didn't have a good vibe with my interviewer.

Maybe its a good thing since I can forgo the $17K?
Intern
Intern
Schools:HBS, Wharton, CBS, Yale, NYU
 Q39  V51
Send PM
I still haven't heard a thing from Stern. I submitted my application right before the deadline and received the status check login on Jan 30. Should I assume that they already put me on the list of dings?
Intern
Intern
Send PM
I received notification last Friday the 27th that I have been waitlisted. I am still keeping hope and preparing my additional materials now.

Any advice?
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 14 [0]
Given Kudos: 7
Concentration: Finance
Schools:Yale SOM 2011
 Q44  V42
Send PM
I just received an interview invite :banana. It's weird both Columbia and NYU interview invites came a couple of mins appart! I can now say today has been a good day!
GMAT Club Bot
   1  ...  8   9   10   11   12   13   14   15   16   17   18   19