Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 05:50 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 05:50

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 2798 [106]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
Manhattan Prep Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 863 [48]
Given Kudos: 7
Schools:MBA, Thunderbird School of Global Management / BA, Wesleyan University
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Status:Making every effort to create original content for you!!
Own Kudos [?]: 5415 [7]
Given Kudos: 82
Concentration: Healthcare, Social Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 660 Q48 V34
GMAT 2: 750 Q49 V42
Send PM
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 618726 [0]
Given Kudos: 81586
Send PM
Re: The governors team of advisors, including her education and political [#permalink]
Expert Reply
ritula wrote:
The governor’s team of advisors, including her education and political strategists, has not been available for comment since the governor released her controversial education reform proposal.

(A) has not been available for comment since the governor released her controversial education reform proposal

(B) have not been available for comment since the governor released her controversial education reform proposal

(C) have not been available for comment since she released her proposal on controversial education reform

(D) has not been available for comment since she released her controversial education reform proposal

(E) has not been available to make comments since she released her proposal on controversial reform in education

Official Explanation:

The singular subject in the original sentence, “the governor’s team,” agrees with the singular verb phrase “has not been.”

(A) CORRECT. This choice is correct as it repeats the original sentence.

(B) The subject-verb relationship is incorrect. The singular subject of the sentence, “the governor’s team,” does not agree with the plural verb phrase “have not been.”

(C) The subject-verb relationship is incorrect. The singular subject of the sentence, “the governor’s team,” does not agree with the plural verb phrase “have not been.” Also, the subject pronoun “she” has no antecedent. The subject pronoun “she” cannot refer back to the possessive noun, “governor’s.” Only possessive pronouns, such as “her,” can refer to possessive nouns. Finally, the phrase “her proposal on controversial education reform” changes the original meaning. This phrasing implies that the education reform is controversial. However, it is clear in the original sentence that it is the governor’s proposal that is controversial, not education reform itself.

(D) The subject pronoun “she” has no antecedent. The subject pronoun “she” cannot refer back to the possessive noun, “governor’s.” Only possessive pronouns, such as “her,” can refer to possessive nouns.

(E) The subject pronoun “she” has no antecedent. The subject pronoun “she” cannot refer back to the possessive noun, “governor’s.” Only possessive pronouns, such as “her,” can refer to possessive nouns. Also, the phrase “her proposal on controversial reform in education” changes the original meaning. This phrasing implies that the education reform is controversial. However, it is clear in the original sentence that it is the governor’s proposal that is controversial, not education reform itself. Finally, the phrase "to make comments" is not as concise as the original "for comment."
General Discussion
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 153 [1]
Given Kudos: 4
Concentration: Strategy, International Business, Finance
Schools:Kellogg Class of 2012
 Q48  V36
Send PM
Re: The governors team of advisors, including her education and political [#permalink]
Kudos
'she' has to refer back to a noun. There is no noun present

I'll go with A

Cheers,
Unplugged
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 165 [5]
Given Kudos: 3
Schools:IU, UT Dallas, Univ of Georgia, Univ of Arkansas, Miami University
WE 1: 5.5 Yrs IT
Send PM
Kudos
Quote:
The governor’s team of advisors, including her education and political strategists, has not been available for comment since the governor released her controversial education reform proposal.

A. has not been available for comment since the governor released her controversial education reform proposal

B. have not been available for comment since the governor released her controversial education reform proposal

C. have not been available for comment since she released her proposal on controversial education reform

D. has not been available for comment since she released her controversial education reform proposal

E. has not been available to make comments since she released her proposal on controversial reform in education

My choice is A too, and below is my explanation:
In A, the singular subject in the original sentence, “the governor’s team” agrees with the singular verb phrase “has not been.”

B. have not been available for comment since the governor released her controversial education reform proposal - The subject-verb relationship is incorrect. The singular subject of the sentence, “the governor’s team,” does not agree with the plural verb phrase “have not been.”
C. have not been available for comment since she released her proposal on controversial education reform - Same as B. This sentence also changes the meaning because the phrasing “her proposal on controversial education reform” implies that the education reform is controversial.
D. has not been available for comment since she released her controversial education reform proposal - The subject pronoun “she” has no antecedent. The subject pronoun “she” cannot refer back to the possessive noun, “governor’s.” Only possessive pronouns, such as “her,” can refer to possessive nouns.
E. has not been available to make comments since she released her proposal on controversial reform in education - Same as D and Also, like in C, the phrasing “her proposal on controversial education reform” implies that the education reform is controversial. It is clear from the original sentence that, it is the governor’s proposal that is controversial and not the education reform itself. Finally, "for comment" is more concise than "to make comments".

Please let me know if that makes sense.
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 3223 [2]
Given Kudos: 6
Send PM
Kudos
We need singular verb "has" because of the singular noun "team"

that leaves A, D and E.

D and E uses "she" but "she" has no referent. "governor's team" is possesive noun and "she" cannot be used to refer to the possessive noun. We need proper noun "governor" which is correctly done in A.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 109 [1]
Given Kudos: 4
Send PM
Kudos
There is no requirement to use prepositions to make the sentence wordy.

For eg. prince sat on a gold throne OR prince sat on the throne of gold.

Sentence one is preferable, the structure S + V + ADJ + NOUN preferred over S + V + NOUN + prepositional phrase.

I hope that is fine
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 153 [0]
Given Kudos: 6
Send PM
Hi guys,

I have seen this question on manhattan gmat and even though I got the correct answer but still was not really convinced by the use of the pronoun "her" to refer to the governor who is only present in the possessive "the governor's team". I also read this topic about this sentence where some people seem to believe it is a wrong usage :
https://gmatclub.com/forum/the-governors-team-of-advisors-including-her-education-and-75712.html?hilit=The%20governor%E2%80%99s%20team%20of%20advisors

Please can somebody convincingly give the final word on whether a pronouns which refers to an antecedent in the possessive form are accepted by the GMAT or not ? Thanks a lot!
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 393 [0]
Given Kudos: 204
Concentration: Operations, International Business
GMAT 1: 690 Q50 V33
GMAT 2: 700 Q50 V33
GMAT 3: 730 Q51 V38
GPA: 4
WE:Information Technology (Consulting)
Send PM
Hi GMATNinja ,

Here, In option E - available to make comments is grammatically correct or wrong ? . Just a general doubt.
I agree she is wrong in E.
I was just wondering if "available for comment" is better than "available to make comment " .Please throw some light here. :) .
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 63652 [1]
Given Kudos: 1773
GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V46
GMAT 2: 800 Q51 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V170

GRE 2: Q170 V170
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
Nightmare007 wrote:
Hi GMATNinja ,

Here, In option E - available to make comments is grammatically correct or wrong ? . Just a general doubt.
I agree she is wrong in E.
I was just wondering if "available for comment" is better than "available to make comment " .Please throw some light here. :) .

"Available for comment" is the way somebody would typically say this, but I'm not 100% sure that "available to make comments" is necessarily wrong -- it would just be a little bit unusual to say it that way.

And I think it's very, very unlikely that you'll ever see this particular idiom in an actual GMAT question, so don't worry about it too much!
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 153 [0]
Given Kudos: 445
Schools: IIM (II)
GMAT 1: 640 Q46 V32
GPA: 3.84
Send PM
BKimball wrote:
Tania,

It looks like you're not satisfied with the explanations of why "she" in E can't refer to "governor's." Let's try to make it a little more explicit:

Rule: On the GMAT, every pronoun must have a noun antecedent in that sentence. The antecedent need not appear before the pronoun, but it must be there in noun form.

In E: "she" is trying to refer back to the governor. Unfortunately, there is no noun form of "governor" in the sentence. Instead, we have "the governor's team of advisors" where the word "governor" is in the possessive tense and serving to modify the subject of the sentence: team.

Other examples of this "possessive poison" error:

"I bought Jose's birthday present yesterday, but I never got an invitation to his party." --> Here "his" is trying to refer to "Jose" but cannot legally do so. Fix: "I bought Jose a birthday present yesterday, but I never got an invitation to his party."

"Nobody knows why he dresses this way, but Steve's signature wardrobe is a black turtleneck with jeans and tennis shoes." Again, "he" is trying to refer to "Steve" but cannot do so because "Steve" is not present in the sentence as a noun.

That help?

Brett

Hello EducationAisle,
Is the issue - possessive poison : pronoun referring back to possessive - still unacceptable?
If its acceptable then I believe Option D would be correct.
Please let me know whether I am thinking correctly?

Regards,
Tamal
CEO
CEO
Own Kudos [?]: 3528 [2]
Given Kudos: 149
Schools: ISB
GPA: 3.31
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
Hi Tamal, I see that Brett posted this back in 2010.

Since then, GMAT does seem to have shown flexibility in this regard. There is at least one correct official example from more recent times (Although Elizabeth Barrett Browning's success was later overshadowed...) where the subject pronoun she only has a possessive noun to refer to.

So, while this usage is acceptable now, it might still be a good idea to keep such options as #2 and revisit such options if no better option is available.
Verbal Forum Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 8808 [0]
Given Kudos: 171
Concentration: General Management, Strategy
GPA: 3.2
WE:Information Technology (Consulting)
Send PM
BKimball wrote:
Tania,

It looks like you're not satisfied with the explanations of why "she" in E can't refer to "governor's." Let's try to make it a little more explicit:

Rule: On the GMAT, every pronoun must have a noun antecedent in that sentence. The antecedent need not appear before the pronoun, but it must be there in noun form.

In E: "she" is trying to refer back to the governor. Unfortunately, there is no noun form of "governor" in the sentence. Instead, we have "the governor's team of advisors" where the word "governor" is in the possessive tense and serving to modify the subject of the sentence: team.

"I bought Jose's birthday present yesterday, but I never got an invitation to his party." --> Here "his" is trying to refer to "Jose" but cannot legally do so. Fix: "I bought Jose a birthday present yesterday, but I never got an invitation to his party."

"Nobody knows why he dresses this way, but Steve's signature wardrobe is a black turtleneck with jeans and tennis shoes." Again, "he" is trying to refer to "Steve" but cannot do so because "Steve" is not present in the sentence as a noun.

That help?

Brett

One of the examples of "possessive poison" error given by MGMAT instructor in the above post-

1. "I bought Jose's birthday present yesterday, but I never got an invitation to his party." - Isn't the pronoun 'his' that precedes 'party' a possessive pronoun?
So, even with the possessive pronoun rule, this example is correct since possessive noun Jose's can refer to his

2. While the second example about Steve (Jobs I think) is incorrect as per possessive poison rule.

AjiteshArun , GMATNinja , MagooshExpert , GMATGuruNY , VeritasPrepBrian , MartyMurray , DmitryFarber , daagh , generis , other experts - please enlighten
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 4 [0]
Given Kudos: 34
Send PM
Skywalker18 wrote:
BKimball wrote:
Tania,

That help?

Brett

One of the examples of "possessive poison" error given by MGMAT instructor in the above post-

1. "I bought Jose's birthday present yesterday, but I never got an invitation to his party." - Isn't the pronoun 'his' that precedes 'party' a possessive pronoun?
So, even with the possessive pronoun rule, this example is correct since possessive noun Jose's can refer to his

2. While the second example about Steve (Jobs I think) is incorrect as per possessive poison rule.

AjiteshArun , GMATNinja , MagooshExpert , GMATGuruNY , VeritasPrepBrian , MartyMurray , DmitryFarber , daagh , generis , other experts - please enlighten

I also have same doubt regarding the 1st one.

Can any expert please comment?

AjiteshArun , GMATNinja , MagooshExpert , GMATGuruNY , VeritasPrepBrian , @MartyMurray , DmitryFarber , daagh , generis .

Thanks
Manhattan Prep Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 7775 [0]
Given Kudos: 55
GMAT 2: 780  Q50  V50
Send PM
Expert Reply
Hi folks! This has become a moot point, because the GMAT no longer uses the "possessive poison" rule! But yes, my colleague made an error on #1. Even if we were enforcing the rule, "his" is possessive and would not violate the rule. As for #2, the GMAT might say this another way, but we can't eliminate it just because the only available antecedent for "he" is a possessive noun.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Given Kudos: 132
Send PM
if instead of "governor’s team of advisors", "only governor's advisors" was written , then we would use the plural form of verb ?
Experts' Global Representative
Own Kudos [?]: 4683 [0]
Given Kudos: 38
GMAT Date: 11-01-2019
Send PM
Expert Reply
khera wrote:
if instead of "governor’s team of advisors", "only governor's advisors" was written , then we would use the plural form of verb ?

Hello khera,

We hope this finds you well.

Your reasoning is correct here; the phrase "governor's advisors" needs the plural verb form, as it does not contain a collective noun ("team" in the original sentence); rather, it refers to the plural noun "advisors" directly.

We hope this helps.
All the best!
Experts' Global Team
Tutor
Affiliations: GMAT Coach
Own Kudos [?]: 846 [2]
Given Kudos: 198
GMAT 1: 760 Q50 V44
GMAT 2: 770 Q51 V44
GMAT 3: 770 Q50 V44
GMAT 4: 770 Q50 V45 (Online)
GMAT 5: 780 Q51 V48
Send PM
The governors team of advisors, including her education and political [#permalink]
Kudos
Expert Reply
stclair wrote:
Wouldn't 'has' be incorrect?

stclair "has" is correct.

The GMAT loves to disguise the subject with lots of modifiers. We have to cross off all the modifiers in our head to find the subject here, which is the singular "team":

The governor’s team of advisors, including her education and political strategists, has.

A few more examples:

The team is great.

The players are great.

The team of players IS great.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 0 [0]
Given Kudos: 246
Send PM
BKimball wrote:
Tania,

That help?

Brett

Hey Brett, wouldnt "I bought Jose's birthday present yesterday, but I never got an invitation to his party." be the correct usage of his as it acts as a possessive pronoun (Joe's party) and is not referring to Joe as such.

Thanks
GMAT Club Bot
 1   2   
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6917 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts