Last visit was: 23 Apr 2024, 20:10 It is currently 23 Apr 2024, 20:10

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 1682 [0]
Given Kudos: 210
Send PM
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 27 [0]
Given Kudos: 6
Schools:LBS
 Q47  V38
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
 Q44  V41
Send PM
SVP
SVP
Send PM
Re: The London Business School 2009 thread [#permalink]
Hey mate I wouldn't necessarily be discouraged and would certainly apply. Your GMAT is decent and your background (i.e. Pakistan origin) is distinctive. The chess stuff is pretty interesting too. Since this is the first year of the program, they have a clean slate. They dont have any past classes to look at as a guideline.

Good luck.

MJ2009 wrote:
Graduated from Lahore Uni of Management Sciences (LUMS) in July 2008 (economics major), I doubt any of you would have heard of it, but its the best we have in Pakistan . Worked for a month not-for-profit firm in Pakistan and now in the asset mgmt divsion of a regional invmt bank in GCC(middle east).
Gmat's 690 (90th) V:38 (84) Q:47 (81) A: 5.0/6.
CGPA: 2.9/4, Trust me LUMS is tough in grading, but I simply can not convince you as you probably don't even know about the University. Notable Extra-curriculars but I doubt they would make a difference if I put them here in much detail, stuff like Uni society president and 1 Top ten ranking in a Pak chess tournament.(but then pakistan doesn't have great chess players).
I got the general idea about the MM program and all, I guess like HBS, LBS will also be looking for those bright young kids with exceptional skills which i dont have so what is the range of their GPA and Gmat scores, if they are in line maybe an excellent essay might turn the odds in my favor... any help bsd_lover will be greatly appreciated
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [0]
Send PM
Deteted

Originally posted by apshma on 19 Feb 2009, 03:53.
Last edited by apshma on 15 Mar 2011, 11:34, edited 1 time in total.
SVP
SVP
Send PM
There's an old adage about essays - depth over breadth. Presumably you demonstrate lots of enthusiasm and passion for this one club - which will come across as sincere.

pm. me if you want a second pair of eyes to look into it.
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 298 [0]
Given Kudos: 8
Schools:Oxford'10
 Q49  V37
Send PM
daz wrote:
apshma wrote:
This may sound a bit out of place, but I am in the middle of writing my LBS essays and have a small question to all those who managed to pass the first stage of the process - How many clubs did you mention in Essay 4? Currently, 75% of my essay talks about only one club (that ties with my career goals).

Do you think its fine, or should I mention more clubs and trade with the space per club? [OK, these are 2 extra questions :-D]

Def talk bout more clubs, if you only goin 2 one club they think you undiversified & boring... I be clubbin 7 days a week, always hittin da top spots, dropping gwop & popping dom and da colla twentyfo'seven, switchin that **** up & mindin the time as I checks my TAG and da ladies flow like the flock of goats running down the gilead

are you for real? Sorry but I didn't understand a word you said let alone the meaning of your post.

Apshma, make sure that you show off your diversity and interest and explain WHY rather than what. Make that passion flow in this essay.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
 Q44  V41
Send PM
apshma wrote:
This may sound a bit out of place, but I am in the middle of writing my LBS essays and have a small question to all those who managed to pass the first stage of the process - How many clubs did you mention in Essay 4? Currently, 75% of my essay talks about only one club (that ties with my career goals). I have mentioned cross reference to two other clubs in this description; and remaining 25% of my essay talks about another club that matches my cultural interests.

Do you think its fine, or should I mention more clubs and trade with the space per club? [OK, these are 2 extra questions :-D]

Many thanks.

Hi apshma,

I mentioned 4 clubs I am involved with in the first paragraph of Essay 4--kept it VERY short b/c the main point of that paragraph was to touch upon my involvement in the minority community (I am Latina and do a lot of work with minority outreach). Second paragraph talked about how the LBS clubs I am interested in would relate to my geographic interests & background (mentioned my academic/personal interests, & intl W/E). Last paragraph talked about how I would use the clubs to build my skills in other areas, and talked about 1 hobby/skill i want to develop more and 1 "professional" interest I want to develop more through a LBS club. Basically, I tried to weave my W/E, academic background, and personal interests into a coherent picture of who I am as a person and what I am passionate about.

I also used the "Tell us about your main interests and activities outside of work" short answer prompt in the main application to mention a few more activities that didnt make it into Essay 4.

Hope this helps!
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 23 [1]
Given Kudos: 3
Schools:LBS '11
Send PM
Kudos
buffdaddy wrote:
are you for real? Sorry but I didn't understand a word you said let alone the meaning of your post.

No worries mate, I just put that through my translator:

Original poster wrote:
Def talk bout more clubs, if you only goin 2 one club they think you undiversified & boring... I be clubbin 7 days a week, always hittin da top spots, dropping gwop & popping dom and da colla twentyfo'seven, switchin that **** up & mindin the time as I checks my TAG and da ladies flow like the flock of goats running down the gilead

meaning:

Translator wrote:
Indeed, I would emphasize my affiliations with a large quantity of extracurricular activities. Dedicated involvement to a select group may convey the impression that one is not diversified in their choice of activities. Personally, I involve myself in various activities every day of the week, with all of these organizations being of the highest caliber, Typically, I also engage in the consumption of questionable substances and fine champagne, whilst I upturn the collar portion of my shirt garment to further inform of my impressive status. In addition, I strive to project an aura of authority, best exemplified by my artisan-crafted Swiss watch, which I use to check the status of my daily appointments. In the end, all of these activities tend to attract the fancy of very beautiful ladies as well.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [0]
Send PM
Many thanks everybody! Looks like I need to give the essay another shot!
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 10035 [0]
Given Kudos: 361
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Other
Schools: Chicago (Booth) - Class of 2011
GMAT 1: 750 Q50 V40
Send PM
Expert Reply
prashok wrote:
meaning:

Translator wrote:
Indeed, I would emphasize my affiliations with a large quantity of extracurricular activities. Dedicated involvement to a select group may convey the impression that one is not diversified in their choice of activities. Personally, I involve myself in various activities every day of the week, with all of these organizations being of the highest caliber, Typically, I also engage in the consumption of questionable substances and fine champagne, whilst I upturn the collar portion of my shirt garment to further inform of my impressive status. In addition, I strive to project an aura of authority, best exemplified by my artisan-crafted Swiss watch, which I use to check the status of my daily appointments. In the end, all of these activities tend to attract the fancy of very beautiful ladies as well.

:) :good
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 254 [0]
Given Kudos: 17
Concentration: Health Enterprise Management, Marketing, Strategy, Finance, Analytical Consulting, Economics
Schools:Kellogg Class of 2011
Send PM
buffdaddy wrote:
daz wrote:
apshma wrote:
This may sound a bit out of place, but I am in the middle of writing my LBS essays and have a small question to all those who managed to pass the first stage of the process - How many clubs did you mention in Essay 4? Currently, 75% of my essay talks about only one club (that ties with my career goals).

He's just a wannabe baller. True ballers would never be caught dead in a TAG.
Current Student
 Q47  V38
Send PM
Okay I am applying to LBS for the MM programs... bsd_lover is a convincer!! got 1 recommendation in...waiting for the other... lets hope I manage it for the 28th Feb deadline. wish me luck!
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
 Q49  V42
Send PM
MJ2009 wrote:
Okay I am applying to LBS for the MM programs... bsd_lover is a convincer!! got 1 recommendation in...waiting for the other... lets hope I manage it for the 28th Feb deadline. wish me luck!

Hey MJ, i'm also applying for the MiM programme before the 28th deadline......
Do keep us updated about your progress after you submit your app....

Best of Luck!!
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 298 [0]
Given Kudos: 8
Schools:Oxford'10
 Q49  V37
Send PM
prashok wrote:

No worries mate, I just put that through my translator:

is that like a Californian Hood thing? :-)
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 23 [0]
Send PM
buffdaddy wrote:
is that like a Californian Hood thing? :-)

:lol:

I was way off on translating "gwop," though (I looked it up on Urban Dictionary after I posted). :oops:
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 23 [0]
Send PM
MJ2009 wrote:

unlasheddeer wrote:
Hey MJ, i'm also applying for the MiM programme before the 28th deadline......
Do keep us updated about your progress after you submit your app....

Best of Luck!!

Good luck to both of you! Keep us updated on how the process goes...
Current Student
 Q49  V42
Send PM
Thanks Prashok, I'll let you guys know as soon as i hear anything. Right now I'm just dreaming about joinin you guys at LBS!

Btw, can you'll give us an idea of how many students are already admitted in the MiM programme from portal???

I wonder if the ratio of Indian applicants for MiM, is the same as for MBA.
Current Student
 Q47  V38
Send PM
Yes prashok thanks for the luck...will need it.

unlasheddeer, what is the ratio of indians in the MBA program, and yes if someone could tell us the number of students already admitted in the MM program, it would be nice(possibly motivate or discourage us depending on the number).

And one more thing, bsd_lover, I have to ask this (and i do so hoping its true) do Pakistani applicants come off as having a distinctive background or do we just get lumped in the Indian category being called south-Asians? I am not asking this just for the heck of it because i am writing my essays with a slight inclination towards my background, i mean i'm trying to play the diversity card among other things so as to try and appeal to the adcom.
Current Student
 Q49  V42
Send PM
Hey MJ,

I wouldn't know the exact percentage that Indian MBA applicants make up in LBS, but I do know that they make a significant percentage, and so applications are extremely competitive for Indians. Consequently, the number of Indian admits is also high, in fact, most of the study groups at LBS that you come across will always have an Indian. :)

But you need not worry.....As far as I have been able to ascertain, LBS doesn't look at the region you come from, but rather at the nationality. They realize that each country has a very specific background, even though the countries might be neighbors.

Best of luck dude!!
and do keep us updated, unlike the MBA applicants we don't have the advantage of knowing when those much awaited emails are sent. :)

On second thought, i guess this does save you the trouble of refreshing your inbox every second for the entire day. :P
GMAT Club Bot
   1  ...  16   17   18   19   20   21   22  ...  29   
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6917 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts