Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 01:29 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 01:29

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 61 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Concentration: Investment Banking or Investment Management
Send PM
MBA Admissions Consultant
Own Kudos [?]: 598 [1]
Given Kudos: 2
Send PM
SVP
SVP
Own Kudos [?]: 291 [0]
Concentration: Investment Banking
Schools:Chicago (dinged), Tuck (November), Columbia (RD)
Send PM
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 61 [0]
Concentration: Investment Banking or Investment Management
Send PM
Re: IB During Recession [#permalink]
Thanks Alex. I knew you'd give it to me straight, that's part of what makes your opinions so valuable. Right now I'm looking for the nearest cliff to drive my car off of :)
SVP
SVP
Send PM
Alex,

Can you please provide us some insight on consulting in the current environment? What are your thoughts? Does it make sense to you that many current students are flocking to the consulting firms? How do you think the consulting firms are doing financially in this environment?
Own Kudos [?]: 598 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
Expect the job market to be tough across the board.

Consulting services are discretionary expenses. They are usually the first things to get cut or forgone. Their businesses are highly dependent on the health of the corporate sector. Anyone who tells you otherwise either has a warped view on the importance of a consultant's function, or is trying to reassure themselves that consulting operates in a bubble.

Think about it. Money has to come from somewhere. If companies have trouble accessing the capital markets to raise money (either by borrowing or finding investors), they will have less money on hand to do any sort of expansion, let alone even trying to stay above water. In this kind of environment, companies cut back on expenses. Even Microsoft is laying off workers. We're just entering the start of a recession -- we're nowhere near the end of it just yet. When companies are trying to sell off their inventory and squeeze out every last buck from their sales team and from their product line, the last thing they are going to be doing is spending millions on a bunch of powerpoint slides. The consulting firms will hurt.

In this kind of environment, companies don't need "thought leadership" any more than a family whose house is burning down needs a marriage counselor or shrink. They need to focus on more basic needs like making payroll and not defaulting on their vendors, lenders, landlords, etc.

The only difference between banking and consulting recruiters is that consultants are better spin-meisters. They will come on campus and wax poetic about how great everything is, and then turn around and give you a job offer that you can't take (i.e. "we'll offer to have you start in 18-24 months after graduation at our discretion; in the meantime, you're on your own"). Or they will continue to extend the deferral every six months just to lead you on. Not saying that this is exactly how it will go down this time around, but if history is any guide, don't put it past the consulting firms to come on campus and say how wonderful everything is (or some form of spin) and have you guys fall for it hook, line and sinker. Because "oh, it's McKinsey, they can't do anything wrong...they're soooo smooth and beautiful and look how polished they are!"
SVP
SVP
Send PM
Kudos again. Thank you for your insight Alex!
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 222 [0]
Given Kudos: 31
Concentration: Healthcare, Strategy, MC
Schools:Kellogg '11
Send PM
Interesting stuff. I guess this just means we need to make sure we have a Plan A, B, C and D. :)

Thanks for your insight Alex.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 85 [0]
Concentration: Finance
Schools:Wharton, Booth, Stern
 Q49  V42
Send PM
Very interesting view Alex. My personal feeling as a class of 2010 student applying for IB in London is that there are still jobs (in my case internships) out there, but the companies have become more and more selective in terms of schools and people. All the companies claim that they have remembered the lessons of the past (aka 2001 - 2003 crisis), and this is true to some extent in the sense that they are still recruiting (although numbers have drastically been reduced).

However, I don't think there'll be a lot of recruiting outside Booth, Wharton and HBS (maybe Columbia and Stern). I hate preaching for my chapel, but this is the time where it pays off to be in a top finance school. Plus I'm fortunate enough to already have an IB background.

I remember the only viable tip that I have received from the career advisers from my school: in such times of crisis, don't change all the variables of the equation. In my case I have almost changed none (came from IB in Europe, going back to IB in Europe).
Own Kudos [?]: 598 [0]
Send PM
I hope you're right, although back in 2001-03 they did continue with the recruiting dog-and-pony show. They just reneged on the offers. Or they fired people a few months into the job.

In this kind of environment, trust nothing coming from a recruiter's mouth and assume that no job is safe, especially in banking - the guy/gal doing the dog-and-pony show may be facing the axe as well.

As for banks remembering the lessons from the past, I find that really hard to believe - as a former banker yourself, I don't think I need to tell you about the management skills and foresight of investment bankers. It's a sales culture - it's always about NOW. And it's not about "the good of the firm" but what's good for ME. Also, again it's about incentives - they have no incentive to learn from the past - whether it's recruiting, or not getting involved in asset markets that look like ponzi schemes. The payoff is asymmetric - it's other people's money, it's not MY firm, so I'm going to do whatever I need to do to maximize my bonus (in good times) or to save my ass (in bad times) and to hell with the company and its brand or reputation. So long as their personal reputation isn't at stake, they could care less how short-sighted "company strategy" is. This may seem cynical to an outsider, but as you know banking is such a mercenary culture as bankers hop from one place to the next.

Also, in this context where you go to school may help you *get* access to jobs, but it won't help you *keep* the job beyond the first few months upon joining the firm. If the group you join needs to cut back after just hiring you, they're not going to care what school you went to. But they will care that you were a former banker (that will probably help you more than anything else).
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 85 [0]
Concentration: Finance
Schools:Wharton, Booth, Stern
 Q49  V42
Send PM
Negative but unfortunately quite realistic view. Hopefully you're wrong though. Also, I guess this makes the choice of bank even more important...
Send PM
Yes, I do hope I'm wrong on this, but my hunch is that while the financials and headcount change with economic cycle, the culture in banking doesn't really change with the economic cycle - they change when the incentives fundamentally change (i.e. when the banks went from partnerships in the 1980s and before to publicly traded corporations in the 1990s and afterwards). So yes, if or when the regulatory environment changes, the culture will change too in the next 5-10 years or so.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 144 [0]
Given Kudos: 10
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Technology
Schools: Hong Kong University of Science and Technology (HKUST) - Class of 2010
Send PM
The biggest banks (based on market cap) are moving into the USA
https://www.tradingmarkets.com/.site/new ... s/2187294/

The Chinese banks are coming!!!
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 64 [0]
Given Kudos: 28
Concentration: General Management
Schools:Harvard '11
Send PM
good point of view, Alex. makes me think about the future through lenses that are not as rosy as they used to be.
Send PM
It's been barely a month since I last posted on this particular thread, and even within such a short time span things have changed.

Now, as you guys have probably heard -- there are now serious discussions of nationalizing some of the major banks. When Republicans are talking about nationalization as a viable option, you know things are REALLY bad. A few of my clients this past year were working in the eye of the sh*t storm, and the consensus amongst them is that the banks' books are even worse than they have let on publicly. Serious discussions about nationalization don't happen unless things are really that bad.

I sincerely hope all of you land on your feet somehow. In this kind of environment, even when you get a job offer, don't bail on recruiting completely - keep an eye out on other opportunities because that offer may be pulled from you. Also, even if you do start, don't count on your job being safe because there is a possibility that you could get laid off within 6-12 months; again, make sure you are always keeping an eye on what other opportunities are out there. I know this may sound paranoid, but in this kind of environment, you just never know - when companies (and most importantly, the managers making the hiring/firing decisions) are worried about their own self-preservation, the last thing they care about is you.
GMAT Club Bot