Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 01:44 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 01:44

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 3891 [2]
Given Kudos: 2
Send PM
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 1952 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
 Q49  V41
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 3891 [0]
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 18 [1]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Re: A leading cement manufacturer has been having problems processing manu [#permalink]
Kudos
I think it is C.

This is a weaken question. The manufacturer plans to install a new platform on company's existing central computing system expecting that the new platform will process the records five times faster.

But C says that the company's computer system does not have the capability to run the new platform and cannot be updated.

This clearly puts a doubt on manufacturer's plan of installing new platform on existing computer system for faster processing of records.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [0]
Send PM
Re: A leading cement manufacturer has been having problems processing manu [#permalink]
I would choose C by POE
A contradicts since it is stated that the new platform will be 5 times quicker
B is irrelevant
D sounds good, but we can't assume that the sales will definetly go up in future
E is irrelevant
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 6809 [0]
Concentration: Finance
Schools:CBS, Kellogg
Send PM
icandy wrote:
I did not do the math but only D made sense to me. A and C are contradictory to the stimulus. B is out of scope and E again modifies the stimulus but does not weaken/strengthen.

Expanded operations and processing times are exceeding the original time window

Plans to install a new system 5 times faster.

need to prove that this will not help

So if the increase is multiplying every month for the past 18 months, it is possible that he will still have problems after the new install.

I agree D is the best

D suggests that the cause lies in somewhere rather than in the platform
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 2798 [0]
Send PM
My choice z C. it clearly puts a doubt on manufacturer's plans
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 2293 [0]
Given Kudos: 6
 V25
Send PM
IMO C.

Stating problem with Computer system.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 9 [0]
Send PM
i vote for C
it is the most reasonable
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 186 [0]
Send PM
the cement company is growing so fast that even if it puts in a new computer system, the company will soon out grow it. I pick D

for all those that picked C, it says in the stem that the company is installing a new computer system

anybody have OA?
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 19 [0]
Send PM
IMO it's clear C.
THis choice clearly shows why his/her plan is doomed to fail.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 186 [0]
Send PM
typhoidX wrote:
Quote:
the cement company is growing so fast that even if it puts in a new computer system, the company will soon out grow it. I pick D

for all those that picked C, it says in the stem that the company is installing a new computer system

The original question states that "it plans to install a new platform on its central computing system which will run its tracking program five times faster than the current system does".

Was there another part of the question that was left out? I don't see where it says a new computer system is being installed, I think the original info clearly implies that a new platform is being installed on the CURRENT computing system. (C) suggests the new platform won't work on the current computing system, I don't see where a new computing system comes in.

In anycase, I vote for (C) as well. Choices A & B presents potential hindrances & side effects to the plan, they're plausible but not as strong as (C), which suggest the plan won't work at all.
For me, (D) & (E) are eliminated right away, since they do not clearly present obstacles that would cast doubt on the plan's feasibility, effectiveness, or benefits. If anything, (D) illustrates the need for some kind of improvement over the status quo, since new orders are likely to increase in quantity & be more frequent.

Out of all current options, (C) creates by far the biggest obstacle to the plan. In fact, if (C) were true, it would highlight the negative aspects of both A and B combined.

now that I have gotten som sleep i think you are right...C seemed to obvious ..didnt trust it
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 9 [0]
Send PM
i choose C
If C is true, it counter the company's plan
i see this question somewhere in OG11
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 332 [0]
Send PM
c weakens .

assumption in the argument : new software will work and hence problem will be solved .

c hits the nail
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Send PM
My answer is C.
If the system can run new platform, it'll have capabilities to run faster.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 884 [0]
Send PM
IMO C

A leading cement manufacturer has been having
problems processing manufacturing and delivery
records since it expanded its operations. To solve this
problem, it plans to install a new platform on its
central computing system which will run its tracking
program five times faster than the current system
does.

Which one of the following casts the most serious
doubt on the manufacturer’s plan?

(A)Not all computer platforms can make the
company’s tracking program run more
quickly --> not all, but it can't change the fact that there is still a new platform can do it

(B)The cost of the new computer platform will
require the cement manufacturer to raise
prices for its products --> cost of producing is out of scope

(C)The cement company’s computer system
does not have the capability to run the new
platform and cannot be updated -->the best. Because of this, although the new platform system is quite good, it is useless because it can't integrate with the computer system

(D)The company has been increasing sales of
cement by 1.5 percent a month for the past
18 months --> although the company enhance its business' sales, it still have difficult in managing its expanded business. And this choice has no influence on the argument

(E) A completely new computer system could
make the program run six times faster than it
does currently --> out of scope
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 436 [0]
Given Kudos: 9
Concentration: General Management, Technology
GPA: 3.3
WE:Engineering (Consulting)
Send PM
C is the best answer since it clearly weakens that the system cannot be upgraded any hence cannot be implemented. So the companys would not be completed with this plan.

+1 kudos if U like this post
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Send PM
icandy wrote:
I did not do the math but only D made sense to me. A and C are contradictory to the stimulus. B is out of scope and E again modifies the stimulus but does not weaken/strengthen.

Expanded operations and processing times are exceeding the original time window

Plans to install a new system 5 times faster.

need to prove that this will not help

So if the increase is multiplying every month for the past 18 months, it is possible that he will still have problems after the new install.

Is it reasonable to assume that profits surely go up?
I go with answer choice C
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 473 [0]
Given Kudos: 48
Concentration: Operations, Strategy
Send PM
C in my opinion rest doesnt stands
Magoosh GMAT Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 4562 [0]
Send PM
Expert Reply
Hmm, this one has given rise to quite a few comments over the years, but I will try my best to put this one to rest :). Unlike many other questions, I do not think this one is tricky.

Basically, the conclusion is that because the new platform will run 5 times faster than the old one, the new platform will solve the company's problems.

We are looking to WEAKEN this conclusion. (C) basically says that the new platform will not work. Therefore the new platform could not possibly solve any of the company's problems.

For instance, if I told you that my super new computer chip can make your computer run 5x faster, but it turns out the chip doesn't work on your computer, then so much for 5x faster.

Hope that helps :)
GMAT Club Bot
 1   2   
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6917 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts
CR Forum Moderator
832 posts