Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 02:27 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 02:27

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 3826 [6]
Given Kudos: 17
Send PM
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 1952 [1]
Given Kudos: 1
 Q49  V41
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [1]
Given Kudos: 14
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 10 [4]
Given Kudos: 167
GMAT 1: 670 Q49 V32
GPA: 3.2
WE:Medicine and Health (Consulting)
Send PM
Re: How does the brain know when carbohydrates have been or should be cons [#permalink]
Kudos
keysersozebrook wrote:
From 3rd to 5th questions, I chose wrong all of them: D, C, and B. Could anybody kindly tell me how you find the right answers for these three questions? Many thanks!

I shall try to help you. Hope this helps.

3. It can be inferred that a person is likely to crave carbohydrates when

(A) the amount of insulin produced is too high
(B) the amount of serotonin in the brain is too low
(C) more tryptophan than usual crosses the blood-brain barrier
(D) neurotransmission by neurotransmitters other than serotonin is interrupted
(E) amino acids other than tryptophan are taken up by peripheral tissues

Question Type: Inference.
When is a person likely to crave carbohydrates?

We have few instances in the passage, eg. Para 1: which say the drugs that block Serotonin cause Carbohydrates craving. So Carbohydrate craving occurs when amount of serotonin is low. And also we were told serotonin levels in brain affect the amount of carbohydrate we eat. More Serotonin in brain, lesser the craving and vice-versa. With this understanding I will try to eliminate other options and try to reach the right answer.

A) Insulin produced is too High.

In Para 2, the passage explains the indirect relationship between Insulin and Tryptophan. If insulin produced is too high, most amino acids are taken up by peripheral muscles. As a consequence, the amount of tryptophan relative to other amino acids in the blood stream would be higher than it was before. Further, this increases the amount of Tryptophan crossing the blood-brain barrier and it's subsequent conversion into serotonin. So. more serotonin in brain, less carbohydrate craving.
INCORRECT.

more amino acids other than tryptophan taken up----->relative rise in tryptophan levels------>more tryptophan crossing blood brain barrier-----> more tryptophan to serotonin conversion----> more serotonin levels in brain-----> LESS CRAVING

Understanding this will help me eliminate 3 options A,C,E.

B) the amount of serotonin in the brain is too low.

It matches my understanding of the passage. Hold and look at other options.

C) more tryptophan than usual crosses the blood-brain barrier

So again it's the opposite. If more tryptophan crosses the blood brain barrier, more serotonin is likely to be produced in brain and thus lesser carbohydrate craving.

D) neurotransmission by neurotransmitters other than serotonin is interrupted

This is a slightly difficult to eliminate. Para 4 says,
"In contrast, drugs that block serotonin-mediated transmission or that interact with neurotransmitters other than serotonin have the opposite effect: they often induce carbohydrate craving"

It says, drugs that interact with neurotransmitters other than serotonin induce carbohydrate craving. Interact doesn't mean interrupt. Those drugs by interacting may actually enhance other neurotransmitters action or may interrupt their's. The option says "interrupt".
So. INCORRECT.

E) amino acids other than tryptophan are taken up by peripheral tissues

Again the same explanation as for option A. Amino acids taken up----->relative rise in tryptophan levels------>more Tryptophan to Serotonin conversion----> more serotonin levels in brain-----> LESS CRAVING

So option B.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 10 [4]
Given Kudos: 167
GMAT 1: 670 Q49 V32
GPA: 3.2
WE:Medicine and Health (Consulting)
Send PM
Re: How does the brain know when carbohydrates have been or should be cons [#permalink]
Kudos
keysersozebrook wrote:
From 3rd to 5th questions, I chose wrong all of them: D, C, and B. Could anybody kindly tell me how you find the right answers for these three questions? Many thanks!

4. The information in the passage indicates that if human beings were given a drug that inhibits the action of serotonin, which one of the following might be expected to occur?

(A) Subjects would probably show a preference for carbohydrate-rich snacks rather than protein-rich snacks.
(B) Subjects would probably become sleepy after eating a carbohydrate-rich meal.
(C) Subjects would be more likely to lose weight than before they took the drug.
(D) Subjects’ blood tryptophan levels would probably increase.
(E) Subjects’ desire for both carbohydrates and proteins would increase.

Question type: Indicate---> Inference

For finding the answer for this I refer to para 1, last line and para 4.

The passages states that drugs that inhibit the action of serotonin have the opposite action to that of serotonin like drugs.
So carbohydrate craving actually increases. Further in Para 4 it is mentioned that serotonin facilitators actually reduce carbohydrate craving by prolonging serotonin's action. Subjects feel sleepy after given a carbohydrate meal and the opposite is true for people who take drugs that block serotonin. With this understanding, I shall try to eliminate options and try to reach the correct answer.

A) Subjects would probably show a preference for carbohydrate-rich snacks rather than protein-rich snacks.

Seems correct. But, we might get a doubt whether is there any craving for protein snacks at all, which is not explicitly stated in the passage. If it is present, is it more or less or equal? I'll try to eliminate others or will mark other option, if found to be more convincing than this is.

B) Subjects would probably become sleepy after eating a carbohydrate-rich meal.

Opposite. INCORRECT
They become refreshed and invigorated.

C) Subjects would be more likely to lose weight than before they took the drug.

Again opposite. INCORRECT.
They would more likely to gain weight. To increase or to reach the required levels of serotonin in brain, people excessively crave for carbohydrate diet and probably take more carbohydrates and gain weight.

D) Subjects’ blood tryptophan levels would probably increase.

No information given. We don't know what increases the blood tryptophan levels with the information given in the passage. We were only given Tryptophan----->Serotonin but no information whether low serotonin levels lead to more tryptophan.
INCORRECT

(The passage explicitly states that, when the carbohydrate level in the blood stream increases, insulin is produced and amino acids other than tryptophan are taken up by peripheral tissues. This in turn indirectly increases the "relative tryptophan levels".
Its actual levels or its levels prior to intake of carbohydrates are the same. Its just that others are taken up and it seems to be the one that exists.)

E) Subjects’ desire for both carbohydrates and proteins would increase.

Desire for carbohydrates increases, but protein's; not mentioned. So I would rule out E too.

INCORRECT

Left with A. I would refer to the experiment given in the third passage.
"On the other hand, when rats are given drugs that interrupt serotonin-mediated neurotransmission, their brains fail to respond when carbohydrates are eaten, so the desire for them persists." I will try to draw an analogy so that I would be even more confident in marking this. The question stem says "might", so no harm.

"Normally" rats alternate between protein and carbohydrate. But when given drugs that inhibit serotonin action, their brains fail to respond. Desire persists, so we can infer that given more carbohydrate they will continue to eat until the serotonin level in the brain reaches to that level, which says to brain, it's enough. So, it's clear they don't care if we feed them more protein snacks.

A.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 19 [1]
Given Kudos: 69
Send PM
Kudos
Hi,
I have taken 12mins 39secs to solve this passage with 100% accuracy. Am I taking too long? If yes, how much time I should devote per reading passage.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 64 [0]
Given Kudos: 18
GMAT 1: 740 Q50 V40
Send PM
arorni wrote:
Hi,
I have taken 12mins 39secs to solve this passage with 100% accuracy. Am I taking too long? If yes, how much time I should devote per reading passage.

Given the length of the passage, number of questions and accuracy with which you solved I'd say you are doing fine. But the point here is that GMAT doesn't give you passages with 7 questions. So If you solved the first three questions (including passage comprehension) within 7 minutes, great or else practice practice and practice!!!
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 991 [0]
Given Kudos: 421
GMAT 1: 600 Q46 V27
Send PM
4. The information in the passage indicates that if human beings were given a drug that inhibits the action of serotonin, which one of the following might be expected to occur?

I didn't know the meaning of word "inhibit" so I got tripped by this question. Not a difficult RC but tricky at places.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 18 [0]
Given Kudos: 56
Schools:
GMAT 1: 530 Q44 V19
Send PM
can anyone suggest how much time one should take to complete this whole passage? i got all right but took perhaps more time .
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 707 [2]
Given Kudos: 67
Concentration: General Management
GPA: 3.9
Send PM
Kudos
Hi everyone,
Got 6/7 correct in 14:30 minutes.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

P1

Paragraph 1 starts with a question about how the brain knows when to eat carbos. According to the passage there is no bulletproof answer but an explanation might be related to the neurotransmitter serotonin and its interaction with a presynaptic neuron and a postsynaptic neuron. Serotonin's function in such relation is to give a nerve impulse from the presynaptic neuron to the postsynaptic neuron. The more enhanced such impulse is, the less our brain thinks about carbos. On the other hand when such impulse is blocked, our brain craves carbos more.

Brief summary: how serotonin might be responsible for the desire (or not) to eat carbos.

P2

Paragraph 2 describes the process through which serotonin is produced. Serotonin is produced from an amino acid called T. T is in the blood stream and needs to arrive in the brain before the conversion is possible. The latter is affected by the quantity of carbos present in one's diet. The more the carbos the higher the secretion of insulin and consequently the levels of other amino acids (except T). There is some competition between the amino acids to get to the brain and so when more carbos are introduced, T speeds up the process to get to the brain.

Brief summary: How serotonin is produced

P3

The author states that the levels of serotonin in the brain affect one's desire to eat carbos. To support such idea an experiment with rats is presented. Rats normally would eat equally protein and carbos foods but when given a serotonin drug they would avoid the carbos.

Brief summary: serotonin affects one's desire to eat carbos

P4

Paragraph 4 just rehighlight the effects of serotonin, or its blockage, on individual's desire to eat carbos. When someone is given a serotonin drug, their desire of carbos is reduced; on the opposite scenario, when someone takes a drug that blocks the production of serotonin, they crave carbos even more. We are also given that when someone eats carbos, they feel refreshed (if serotonin levels are low) and when someone eats carbos (and their serotonin levels are high), they almost fall asleep.

Brief summary: effects of serotonin post eating carbos

Main point

The main point is to describe serotonin and the effect of it on one's desire to eat carbos

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

1. Which one of the following best states the main idea of the passage

Pre-thinking

Main point question

Refer to main point and summaries above.

(A) The body’s need for carbohydrates varies with the level of serotonin in the blood.
I believe this answer choice to be inconsistent because the serotonin levels affect the desire and not the need for carbos

(B) The body’s use of carbohydrates can be regulated by the administration of serotoninlike drugs.
Not the main point but an application

(C) The role of serotonin in regulating the consumption of carbohydrates is similar in rats and in humans.
not broad enough and such similarity is never confirmed

(D) The body’s desire for carbohydrates can be influenced by serotonin or serotoninlike drugs.
In line with pre-thinking

(E) Tryptophan initiates a chain of events that regulates the body’s use of carbohydrates.
partial scope

2. The term “rate” (Highlighted) refers to the rate at which

Pre-thinking

Detail question

From P2: "Serotonin is a derivative of tryptophan,"
the rate hence refers to the rate of conversion from T to serotonin

(A) serotonin is produced from tryptophan
In line with pre-thinking

(B) carbohydrates are taken into the body
Not in line with pre-thinking

(C) carbohydrates stimulate the secretion of insulin

(D) insulin facilitates the uptake of amino acids into peripheral tissues

(E) tryptophan enters the bloodstream

3. It can be inferred that a person is likely to crave carbohydrates when

Pre-thinking

Inference question

From P4: "In contrast, drugs that block serotonin-mediated transmission or that interact with neurotransmitters other than serotonin have the opposite effect: they often induce carbohydrate craving and subsequent weight gain."

We can infer that when the production of serotonin is low or blocked, the desire for carbos is higher

(A) the amount of insulin produced is too high

(B) the amount of serotonin in the brain is too low
in line with pre-thinking

(C) more tryptophan than usual crosses the blood-brain barrier
Opposite

(D) neurotransmission by neurotransmitters other than serotonin is interrupted

(E) amino acids other than tryptophan are taken up by peripheral tissues

Pre-thinking

Detail question

From P4: "People who crave carbohydrates report feeling refreshed and invigorated after eating a carbohydrate-rich meal (which would be expected to increase brain serotonin levels),"

(A) Subjects would probably show a preference for carbohydrate-rich snacks rather than protein-rich snacks.

(B) Subjects would probably become sleepy after eating a carbohydrate-rich meal.

(C) Subjects would be more likely to lose weight than before they took the drug.

(D) Subjects’ blood tryptophan levels would probably increase.
Not in line with pre-thinking. "Blood tryptophan levels, however, are unaffected by insulin, so the proportion of tryptophan in the blood relative to the other amino acids increases when carbohydrates are consumed."

(E) Subjects’ desire for both carbohydrates and proteins would increase.

5. The primary purpose of the second paragraph in the passage is to

Pre-thinking

Purpose/function question

Paragraph 2 establishes a relation between T and the production of serotonin

(A) provide an overview of current research concerning the effect of serotonin on carbohydrate consumption

(B) contrast the role of tryptophan in the body with that of serotonin

(C) discuss the role of serotonin in the transmission of neural impulses

(D) explain how the brain knows that carbohydrates should be consumed

(E) establish a connection between carbohydrate intake and the production of serotonin

6. It can be inferred that after a person has taken d-fenflurarmine, he or she will probably be

Pre-thinking

Inference question

[b]According to P4 such drugs enhances the production of serotonin and hence diminishes the cravings for carbos and consequently leads to weight loss

[/b]

(A) inclined to gain weight
opposite

(B) sleepy much of the time
extreme

(C) unlikely to crave carbohydrates

(D) unable to sleep as much as usual

(E) likely to secrete more insulin than usual

7. The author’s primary purpose is to

Pre-thinking

Main point question

Refer to main point and summaries above

(A) defend a point of view

(B) correct a misconception

(C) assess conflicting evidence

(D) suggest new directions for investigation

(E) provide information that helps explain a phenomenon

It is a good day to be alive!
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 559 [0]
Given Kudos: 248
GMAT 1: 660 Q48 V33 (Online)
GMAT 2: 700 Q49 V37
Send PM
auradediligodo SajjadAhmad

Q6. It can be inferred that after a person has taken d-fenflurarmine, he or she will probably be

Though I selected (C) I was confused with (E) Please could you help me understand why (E) is incorrect?

As per my understanding, as insulin increases the amount of other amino acids in the blood decreases. In other words Tryptophyn increases. Insulin speeds up the process of Tryptophyn's entry in the nervous system where Serotonin is produced

Thus we can infer that more insulin ---> more serotonin.

Now d-fenflurarmine helps reduce weight. This means that Serotonin level increases. S can't we say that the level of Insulin also is increased
GRE Forum Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 32897 [0]
Given Kudos: 5776
GPA: 3.62
Send PM
Expert Reply
Hoozan wrote:

Q6. It can be inferred that after a person has taken d-fenflurarmine, he or she will probably be

Though I selected (C) I was confused with (E) Please could you help me understand why (E) is incorrect?

As per my understanding, as insulin increases the amount of other amino acids in the blood decreases. In other words Tryptophyn increases. Insulin speeds up the process of Tryptophyn's entry in the nervous system where Serotonin is produced

Now d-fenflurarmine helps reduce weight. This means that Serotonin level increases. S can't we say that the level of Insulin also is increased

Read the lines in the passage:

carbohydrates stimulate the secretion of insulin, which facilitates the uptake of most amino acids into peripheral tissues, such as muscles.

It indicate that the amount of insulin produced by the body increases as carbohydrate intake increases. Since dfenfluramine decreases carbohydrate intake, the amount of insulin produced by someone on this drug would decrease, not increase so (E) is incorrect.
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 559 [0]
Given Kudos: 248
GMAT 1: 660 Q48 V33 (Online)
GMAT 2: 700 Q49 V37
Send PM
SajjadAhmad wrote:
Hoozan wrote:

Read the lines in the passage:

carbohydrates stimulate the secretion of insulin, which facilitates the uptake of most amino acids into peripheral tissues, such as muscles.

It indicate that the amount of insulin produced by the body increases as carbohydrate intake increases. Since dfenfluramine decreases carbohydrate intake, the amount of insulin produced by someone on this drug would decrease, not increase so (E) is incorrect.

So More carbohydrates ---> more insulin---> Faster Tryptophyn's entry in the nervous system where Serotonin is produced ---> more serotonin?

Posted from my mobile device
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 64 [0]
Given Kudos: 171
Concentration: Operations, Strategy
GPA: 4
WE:Operations (Aerospace and Defense)
Send PM
Hi all. Recently took a official mock and got a 710 (50 Q, 35 V - slightly inflated).
In RCs, be it a 600 level question or a 700 level questions - on GMAT Club (with 6-7 questions) i generally finish the whole passage in 8-9 minutes.
However for 700 level passages i get maybe 4/7 right and for 600 level (5 or 6)/7. I think I am reading too quickly, but am afraid if i read too slowly I'll slow down and maybe not be able to complete all the questions too.
Any help would be appreciated.
GRE Forum Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 32897 [1]
Send PM
Expert Reply
livfcind wrote:
Hi all. Recently took a official mock and got a 710 (50 Q, 35 V - slightly inflated).
In RCs, be it a 600 level question or a 700 level questions - on GMAT Club (with 6-7 questions) i generally finish the whole passage in 8-9 minutes.
However for 700 level passages i get maybe 4/7 right and for 600 level (5 or 6)/7. I think I am reading too quickly, but am afraid if i read too slowly I'll slow down and maybe not be able to complete all the questions too.
Any help would be appreciated.

Hello livfcind

This is not the right place to ask such a question. Follow the link below that might help you.

https://gmatclub.com/forum/how-to-read- ... 00886.html

Good Luck
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [0]
Given Kudos: 40
Concentration: General Management, Other
GRE 1: Q164 V158
Send PM
How does the brain know when carbohydrates have been or should be cons [#permalink]
Q1

need- role for serotonin
cravings - desire for serotonin

(A) The bodys need for carbohydrates varies with the level of serotonin in the blood.
Argument doesnt talk about need for carbohydrates its rather about the cravings
(B) The bodys use of carbohydrates can be regulated by the administration of serotoninlike drugs.
Argument doesnt talk about use for carbohydrates its rather about the cravings
(C) The role of serotonin in regulating the consumption of carbohydrates is similar in rats and in humans.
Maybe true. But isnt the Main point the passage is trying to convey
(D) The bodys desire for carbohydrates can be influenced by serotonin or serotoninlike drugs. - Correct
(E) Tryptophan initiates a chain of events that regulates the bodys use of carbohydrates.
Argument doesnt talk about use for carbohydrates its rather about the cravings
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 7 [0]
Given Kudos: 11
Send PM
Q1 is the most tricky I felt. Because I was constantly going between A and D. Can someone explain that? Because I thought the passage continuously talks about both A & D.
GRE Forum Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 32897 [0]
Send PM
Expert Reply
Ayushi0002 wrote:
Q1 is the most tricky I felt. Because I was constantly going between A and D. Can someone explain that? Because I thought the passage continuously talks about both A & D.

Explanation

1. Which one of the following best states the main idea of the passage

Difficulty Level: 600-650

Explanation

The only choice that captures the passage’s topic, scope, and purpose.

(A) distorts the passage. The text is about the link between serotonin levels and the body’s desire for carbohydrates. What the body desires is not necessarily what it needs. (Incidentally, as far as we know from the passage, serotonin exists in the central nervous system; it’s tryptophan that lives in the blood.)

(B) focuses on a detail in paragraph 4.

(C) focuses on a detail in paragraph 3. Ditto.

(E) focuses on a detail in paragraph 2. Ditto.

Answer: D
GMAT Club Bot
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6920 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts
GRE Forum Moderator
13958 posts